PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Day Plans

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2016, 11:37 AM
What's yours?

I bought us a 21 pounder yesterday and it'll go in the brine Wednesday. This is the last box of brine seasonings I got from Thumper, four years ago I think. Its called Fire and Flavor. Good stuff, Maynard.

We'll have all the kiddies and their spouses here except for Robyn and Josh out in Colorado. They are saving for a down payment on a house and can't afford a trip home this year. So we're already booked to go out to Fort Collins in January. I'm needing to visit the dispensary anyway, my lumbago is flaring up and I've been getting the Nighthawks lately.

So a full table with kids, grandkids, food, wine, and a big dad gum bird! A lot to be thankful for>

BKB

quercus alba
11-21-2016, 11:42 AM
I have a daughter in law in the delivery room right now so my plans are kinda on hold

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Well Pa Pa, methinks you've finally found something you can do around here. Its about the best job you'll ever have, and the most important one too.

BKB

quercus alba
11-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Another bratty little girl. I'm not sixty yet, I'm too young to be a grandpa twice. Looks like Christmas is going to get more expensive around here

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2016, 12:00 PM
We'll head to my in-laws with a huge dish of sausage and cornbread stuffing. My mother-in-law will dry brine an 18-20lb fresh organic bird and my father-in-law and I will truss that bad boy up and throw him on the rotisserie. Desert will be watching the Redskins ruin Dak's day and give Big Muddy indigestion...

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Another bratty little girl. I'm not sixty yet, I'm too young to be a grandpa twice. Looks like Christmas is going to get more expensive around here

Outside every silver lining there is a black cloud I reckon!

BKB

DeputyDog
11-21-2016, 02:31 PM
We're heading east to PA to visit our kid's godparents again as we usually do. Gonna leave on Wednesday when my wife gets out of school and come home Sunday. Spend Thanksgiving day in MD then make the annual visit to Hershey so my 6 year old can see "the real Santa" there. We will be staying just about 15 miles from Gettysburg so I'm sure we'll make another trip to the battlefield as well. My son loves going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
11-21-2016, 02:57 PM
We're hosting this year which I think is going to be the permanent solution going forward. a medium sized traditionally roasted bird. Two breasts on the smoker and I'ma shove a layer of sausage under the skin this year for a different twist. Should be a good'un!

Big Muddy
11-21-2016, 02:58 PM
We'll head to my in-laws with a huge dish of sausage and cornbread stuffing. My mother-in-law will dry brine an 18-20lb fresh organic bird and my father-in-law and I will truss that bad boy up and throw him on the rotisserie. Desert will be watching the Redskins ruin Dak's day and give Big Muddy indigestion...

Hahaha, your Fore-Skins have seen the only win they gonna get this week....IF you can call last nights game a win over the Fudge-Packers....Good Lord, our Miss. School for the Blind could beat the Packers !!! ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2016, 03:34 PM
We can thank the NFL later for giving us a Sunday night game followed by a Thursday afternoon game on the road. I'm not sure what genius thought that was a good idea! At any rate, it'll be harder for a couple of rookies to deal with game planning on a short week than it will for us.

quercus alba
11-21-2016, 03:36 PM
I hope the foresskins lay the wood to the goat ropers.

literally and figuratively

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2016, 03:46 PM
I hope the foresskins lay the wood to the goat ropers.

literally and figuratively

They can only do that on cable, and the NFL is still owned by the networks.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Haha, those rookies sho'nuf ain't playing like rookies, now are they???....I'd imagine there isn't a pro QB or running back in the entire league who wouldn't love to have their numbers.

Anyhow, let's compare some records....9-1 overall and 6-1 on the road, against the Skins 6-4 overall and 2-5 on the road...dat don't sound too promising even against some lowly goat ropers....matter of fact, it's down right depressing. ;)

Ya'll wanna borrow Romo for the game??? ;)....he oughta be good for about 3 plays, before his menstruation period kicks in. ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2016, 04:23 PM
6-4 over all, but lost 5 games on the road. That must be Mississippi math...

6-3-1 is the actual record. Record for the last 8 is 6-1-1. Should be a pretty good game.

Trav
11-21-2016, 04:27 PM
I have a turkey breast and a 15# prime rib that are going to go on the smoker. Going to make some roasted Brussels sprouts, garlic mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade Bourbon Maple pecan pie, blueberry pie, white chocolate and brandy bread pudding and a pumpkin pie. I am doing 2 family dinners here at my house on Wednesday, the early one at 1pm is for mom and then 5pm for my father since he still isn't over their divorce from 38 years ago he refuses to come to eat with my mom. Then on Thursday stopping by a few different friends houses thus the reason for all the deserts.

Probably more than a few brandy and whiskey old fashions mixed in there.

Big Muddy
11-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Oops, sorry 'bout that....forgot all about that HUGE tie....isn't a tie sorta like kissing your sister??? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Man, that made me hungry. I will have to find the recipe for that pee can pie. That's one I've never tried. And with me being a connoisseur and all....
BKB

LJ3
11-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Oops, sorry 'bout that....forgot all about that HUGE tie....isn't a tie sorta like kissing your sister??? ;)

Mud, You better get on this here chat site on Thursday and take your ass whoopin' just like Dak is gonna take his. Cowboys have had arguably the easiest schedule in the league, certainly in the NFC East to date. First in a fat mans race and we're gonna kick the everlovin' shit outta youse guys on gobble day!

leastways that's what I'ma pray for Thursday morning when I fire up the smoker :)

Nandy
11-21-2016, 04:43 PM
My plan is to watch my wife junky son while he visits for thanksgiving to make sure he dont clean us up like he did a couple years ago when we left on vacation to come back to have jewlery, appliances and garden stuff gone... all my guns and ammo will be safely stow in my safe. I have 2 guns too many for that safe and they are going to my friend safe... It is going to be a lovely thanksgiving... week/weekend... At least I have bail money for me....

Big Muddy
11-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Day'um, Leonard, that must be some good sheeit you smoking....and, I ain't talkin' 'bout your bbq smoking, either. ;)

Yeah, I admit they're sorry goat ropers....so, how many points are you dufes willing to give me???....how brave are ya???....pony up !!! ;)

Talk amongst yourselves....I'm headed to the hunting woods. ;)

LJ3
11-21-2016, 04:45 PM
My plan is to watch my wife junky son while he visits for thanksgiving to make sure he dont clean us up like he did a couple years ago when we left on vacation to come back to have jewlery, appliances and garden stuff gone... all my guns and ammo will be safely stow in my safe. I have 2 guns too many for that safe and they are going to my friend safe... It is going to be a lovely thanksgiving... week/weekend... At least I have bail money for me....

Sorry to hear about that Nandy. I hope he gets the help he needs before it's too late.

Trav
11-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Man, that made me hungry. I will have to find the recipe for that pee can pie. That's one I've never tried. And with me being a connoisseur and all....
BKB

This is the one I use.

For the best flavor, use fresh, raw pecan halves (rather than pieces) and toast them yourself while the pie dough chills. Breaking up the nuts with your fingers, rather than chopping them, gives you more regular pieces and creates less dust, leaving the custard clear and smooth. Be sure to toast the nuts thoroughly or they will taste bland and soggy in the finished pie. On that note, be sure to par-bake the crust until it is almost fully baked, as it doesn’t cook much after the filling is added; it should be golden and dry all over.

Organic dark brown sugar contains more molasses than the conventional stuff and is highly recommended. Grade B maple syrup counter-intuitively has a deeper color and flavor than grade A; use it. This is a boozy pie, not for children, expecting mothers or recovering alcoholics. For a milder bourbon bite, omit the 2 tablespoons of bourbon that are added at the end. I used Bulleit bourbon, but I’ve also made this pie with Jack Daniel’s with great results; I’m guessing that any decent bourbon will make a tasty pie. Unsweetened whipped cream makes a fine foil to this pie; though a slice of warm pie with a scoop of vanilla or coffee ice cream would be sublime, too.

This pie needs to cool at room temperature for 3 hours post-baking. For the cleanest cuts, chill the pie after it has completely cooled, cut slices, and then let the slices sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, or warm them briefly in a 300º oven.

All-butter crust:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole spelt (or whole wheat pastry) flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 ounces (8 tablespoons/1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, in 1/2″ dice
about 4 tablespoons ice water

Filling:
2 1/4 cups raw pecan halves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup dark brown sugar (preferably organic)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 large eggs
2/3 cup pure maple syrup (preferably grade B)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons bourbon, divided use

a few pinches of flaky salt (such as Maldon), for sprinkling (optional)
unsweetened whipped cream, for serving

Make the crust:
In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar and salt. Scatter the butter pieces over the flour, and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles sand with lots of pea-sized butter chunks. Drizzle the ice water over, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a rubber spatula, until the dough will hold together when you give it a squeeze. Dump the dough out onto a counter, divide it roughly into 6 portions, and fraisage by dragging a portion of dough across the counter using the heel of your hand. Scrape up the dough (a metal bench scraper works well here), gently press it into a ball and flatten into a disc. Slip it into a plastic bag, and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.

Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap, and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough into a 12″ circle, dusting the dough lightly with flour as needed, rotating and flipping it to prevent it from sticking. Ease the dough into a 9″ glass pie plate, fit it into the corners, and trim it to a 1″ overhang. Fold the overhang under, and flute the crust by pressing it between the thumb of one hand and the index finger and thumb of the other hand.

Chill the crust for 20 minutes, then freeze it for 20 minutes.

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400º. Remove all other racks from the oven.

Place the frozen crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Line it with a piece of parchment paper, and fill with pie weights, dry beans, or clean pennies.

Bake the crust for 20 minutes, then remove the weights and parchment and bake until the bottom is lightly golden, 15 – 18 minutes longer.

Meanwhile, make the filling:
Spread the pecan halves on a small baking sheet in a single layer and toast in a 350º oven until fragrant and very slightly darkened in color, 12-14 minutes. To check if the pecans are thoroughly toasted, let one cool on the counter, then taste it – it should be crispy and have a toasty flavor. Let the nuts cool, then use your fingers to break each half into 4-8 pieces.

Reduce the oven temperature to 275º.

In a medium-large saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar and salt. Off the heat, gently whisk in the eggs one at a time, then the maple syrup, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the bourbon. Return the pot to a low flame and cook, stirring constantly with a heat-proof rubber spatula, until the mixture is warm to the touch (130ºF on an instant-read thermometer). Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of bourbon and the pecan pieces. Pour the mixture into the hot, pre-baked pie shell. (If the pie shell has cooled, return it to the 275º oven for 5 – 10 minutes to heat it up.)

Bake the pie at 275º until the custard is mostly set, 25-40 minutes. Ways to tell when the pie is done:

The pie wobbles slightly when you shake it from side to side, but doesn’t slosh wetly.
An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160-165ºF.
When you press down on the center of the pie with the back of a spoon, the custard feels softly set, like Jell-o.
The sides of the pie may be very slightly puffed, but they should not be so puffed that the pie cracks around the edges.

Whew! Take that pie out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature, around 3 hours. Fleck with a few pinches of flaky salt, if desired. For the cleanest slices, chill the pie until firm (an hour or so), then cut slices and let them sit at room temperature, or place them in a low oven for just a minute or two until gently warmed (but not melted).

Nandy
11-21-2016, 05:45 PM
ty len, unfortunately I dont see him changing. I hope he proves me wrong.

BarryBobPosthole
11-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Thanks Trav!

Egghead
11-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Wife's father and girlfriend are coming to our house (and he brings the good wine from his stock!), as are her sister and her son. Traditional fare except we may add Pineapple stuffing, the recipe for which I got from our company Thanksgiving feast last week.

And for you pervs, what about adding half lemons under the skin of your turkey for laughs this year:

Captain
11-21-2016, 07:44 PM
I don't know of any plans yet but I'm sure they will involve lots of family and food..
I always leave that day open.

Captain
11-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Turkey day at LJ's house.

Arty
11-21-2016, 08:01 PM
The last 9 years we have had a bunch of family (and usually a few friends) over and my wife throws down on some major turkey day grub.
This year however is my sister in laws 50th Birthday. SO instead of thanksgiving here, we are heading to Hershey, PA where we will meet my brother and his wife for thanksgiving weekend. She doesn't know anything about it. How my brother is getting her there (they live in kentucky) without her knowing is beyond me. But he's confident he can.
Anywho... we will spend the weekend checking out Hershey parks Christmas lights and all.
Thanksgiving dinner will be at an Amish restaurant in Lancaster. Served family style. Our reservation is at 2:30. My plan is to still be eating at 8 when they close. I'm betting that's gonna be a gooooood meal.

quercus alba
11-21-2016, 08:56 PM
sounds like a spandex explosion of biblical proportions.

hope there are no fatalities

Bwana
11-22-2016, 10:09 AM
We are heading back to my home town early tomorrow morning to attend the funeral of a high school classmate's dad. It sucks that we have gotten to this age but these kinds of things seem to be one of the few opportunities where we can all get together to visit and catch up on things.

After that it will be on to my in-laws place for Thanksgiving and I am more excited then normal as both of my boys will be coming there from college. This will be the first time we have all been together since August so we are WAY over due. Hope to get in some pheasant or turkey hunting while they are back if I can pull them away from their friends for a while.

Just remember, no matter what kind of crap you are dealing with there are MANY others who would love to have it as well off as you do. Be thankful!

BarryBobPosthole
11-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Amen to that thought Bwana!

I'm 62 so it seems like I must be the most experienced pall bearer I know. Doesn't pay worth a damn.

I guess it comes with the territory.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Sure beats being on the other side of the job!

Thumper
11-22-2016, 10:38 AM
I plan on being the first to hit the table once Lynn and her mom finish cooking! Lynn's two brothers and their families will be here also, but they're not even close to being serious competition when it comes to eating. :)

Chicken Dinner
11-22-2016, 10:51 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/95e2bf0d5e770c017310340e5824418b.jpg

Captain
11-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Damn.....

BarryBobPosthole
11-22-2016, 11:03 AM
I'll bet Jerry starts Romo just because its Thanksgiving.

BKB

LJ3
11-22-2016, 11:49 AM
From your lips Gods ears!

DeputyDog
11-22-2016, 12:25 PM
The last 9 years we have had a bunch of family (and usually a few friends) over and my wife throws down on some major turkey day grub.
This year however is my sister in laws 50th Birthday. SO instead of thanksgiving here, we are heading to Hershey, PA where we will meet my brother and his wife for thanksgiving weekend. She doesn't know anything about it. How my brother is getting her there (they live in kentucky) without her knowing is beyond me. But he's confident he can.
Anywho... we will spend the weekend checking out Hershey parks Christmas lights and all.
Thanksgiving dinner will be at an Amish restaurant in Lancaster. Served family style. Our reservation is at 2:30. My plan is to still be eating at 8 when they close. I'm betting that's gonna be a gooooood meal.

Sounds like we're going to be in the same area. We're going to be spending the day in Hershey on Friday.

Big Muddy
11-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Yep, ya'll are correct....the goat ropers gonna get killed, for sure....I'll admit they ain't worth a sheeit....however, I'm willing to suck up the loss....and, I think I remember throwing out an offer, but nobody seems to have any balls and man-up. ;)

Since you're so sure it's gonna be such a murderous defeat, give me some points....loser makes a $25 donation to the GH site. ;)

I'm waiting.................................crickets !!!!! ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Last I heard Dallas was a 7 point favorite. If you want to give the 7, I'm sure Len will take you up on your bet.

Arty
11-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Sounds like we're going to be in the same area. We're going to be spending the day in Hershey on Friday.

We will be somewhere in Hershey park on Friday. Not sure what. Have to check with the boss

LJ3
11-22-2016, 01:55 PM
Last I heard Dallas was a 7 point favorite. If you want to give the 7, I'm sure Len will take you up on your bet.

I still owe Muddy jerky from like, 10 years ago! I have to make good on THAT bet afore I can make another one in good conscience.

On another note. I started Cousins And Garcon on my fantasy team and destroyed my opponent last week. I predict the same outcome this week.

Pretty good reason to get my hunt on a kill a deer this year, I'd say!

Chicken Dinner
11-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Same here. I started Crowder and Fat Rob. I left Cousins on the bench in favor of Aaron Rogers who actually outscored him by a couple of points. Total annihilation of my opponent...

I still owe Muddy jerky from like, 10 years ago! I have to make good on THAT bet afore I can make another one in good conscience.

On another note. I started Cousins And Garcon on my fantasy team and destroyed my opponent last week. I predict the same outcome this week.

Pretty good reason to get my hunt on a kill a deer this year, I'd say!

Hombre
11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
I think you two are forgetting Dallas has Ezekiel Elliott .... Hell on Thanksgiving Day Dak will have to give thanks to Zek for making him a good quarterback.

Big Muddy
11-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Hahaha, that ain't quite a fact, but I'm sure Dak would take it as a compliment, anyway. ;)

Hombre
11-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Just working on my badge!

LJ3
11-22-2016, 03:05 PM
The Skins pass rush is a force to be reckoned with this year. We like to eat rookies. Ask Bwana 'bout his Nodak rookie boy being introduced to real and actual pressure from very fast, large and powerful men that want to do great physical harm to you.

Hombre
11-22-2016, 03:09 PM
We gave the Eagles a welcome in SEA last weekend too. I went to that game.

BarryBobPosthole
11-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Just working on my badge!

I've long suspected that you might be Larke's long lost twin. You come by it so naturally.

BKB

Captain
11-22-2016, 03:57 PM
A star is born!!!
:D

jb
11-22-2016, 05:35 PM
We have #1 & #3's family over, #2 is headed for his in-laws.
6 adults, 4 grandkids, fills the house with laughter,great smells and fine food.
Hard for me to be more thankful for the life that was given me.

Trav
11-22-2016, 06:27 PM
I've long suspected that you might be Larke's long lost twin. You come by it so naturally.

BKB

They are both vertically challenged, maybe it's in that shallow gene pool they share.

Captain
11-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Get a stool Trav!

Hombre
11-22-2016, 07:52 PM
They are both vertically challenged, maybe it's in that shallow gene pool they share.

I don't think you understand how it works. God puts enough good in people to get them close to perfect. Us pure folks are a little shorter as it takes less material to get to the almost perfect line. Tall people are diluted so they take a lot more to get near the perfect line...I think that's where the full of @hit line starts about 5'10"

Arty
11-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Skins will beat the cowboys by 4.
You heard it hear first
Cowboys have had an easy ass schedule... until THURSDAY.

Captain
11-22-2016, 10:26 PM

Big Muddy
11-22-2016, 10:31 PM
Skins will beat the cowboys by 4.
You heard it hear first
Cowboys have had an easy ass schedule... until THURSDAY.

Awrighty, I like a man who is so self-assured....you willing to nut-up with the wager???....loser makes the donation to the GH site.

Arty
11-22-2016, 10:45 PM
I don't bet with people that jumped on the band wagon 9 weeks ago. I've been suffering for 19 years... when you catch up, we will bet.

Captain
11-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Well look at it this way Arty. It could be worse you could be a Panthers fan....
Man we been all over the place. For YEARS...
:atomic

Arty
11-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Your quarterback looks like he's been many places. A lot of which I would not venture into.

Captain
11-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Agreed.

Big Muddy
11-23-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't bet with people that jumped on the band wagon 9 weeks ago. I've been suffering for 19 years... when you catch up, we will bet.

Awww, come on, man !!!! ....btw, I jumped on Dak's band wagon, a LONG time, before 9 weeks, ago....I'd feel the same, even if he was playing for the Browns, Bears, or even the Skins. ;)

I got no idea what you're suffering about, however.

Big Muddy
11-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Hey, Leonard, double-or-nothing....since it's been 12 years ago, and my chances of EVER getting that jerky debt paid, anyway, I'll forgive the jerky debt, if your Skins win....I feel generous, since it's almost turkey day. ;)

Nandy
11-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Only thing missing so far is a vodka bottle I bought Wednesday, if that is all I consider myself lucky...

Big Muddy
11-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Nandy, you are waaaay to kind, but I understand you gotta keep peace with the spouse. ;)

Nandy
11-28-2016, 08:08 PM
"kind" has wore out... but him not being mine I have to go an extra step just to prove the problem me not helping is not that he is not mine, is his behavior....

Big Muddy
11-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Bless you, my friend.