PDA

View Full Version : Get'em Coming or Going (Wile E Coyote)

Big Skyz
12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Wednesday afternoon I was getting antsy to get out and do some more calling/hunting. Most of the time I hunt alone, but today I felt like having some company. I called a friend of mine, who has exceptional game spotting eyes, to see if he wanted to go. He was game and we headed for the hills. On the first stand I was able to call this little female in. She came in really slow. By the way it was my partner that spotted her first. Glad I asked him to join me as I may not have seen her slinking in. Finally at 252 yards I couldn't take it anymore and I sent a bullet through the upper part of her shoulders. This happened right at 2pm. Who says you can't call coyotes in during the middle of the day? The next stand was dry although we saw quite a few coyotes way off in the distance, but none wanted to play the game. Towards the last hour of light I decided to try and get closer to some the coyotes we had seen earlier and go for one last stand before dark. It worked and I called a coyote in that my partner hit at 173 yards. Unfortunately the coyote hit the ground, got up and spun a couple times, then got its feet under it and took off. We never found it or even a drop of blood. I hate it when dead coyotes get up and run away like that!

Here's the one I killed. A combination of a light fresh snow and frost made for beautiful conditions. I love being out on days like this with calm wind.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyCoyote12-26-12A_zpsa9f797bd.jpg

I went back out the following morning (yesterday), but didn't have any luck. I kept fighting wind direction and direct sunlight. I just couldn't get things to gel right. So I called it quits after freezing my butt off for an hour. Later in the afternoon I decided to give it another whirl. As my partner (same partner as from the day before) and I were only about 20 yards away from setting up on a stand we jumped a coyote. She came boiling out of the brushy draw below us. I reached for my Harris bi-pod legs and extended them as I was lowering myself to the ground. As my butt hit the ground, I pushed the safety off and flipped my front scope cap open. All this while howling with my voice to try and stop the coyote. She ran to the top of the opposite side of ravine. She needed only one or two more steps and she would have been over the hill and home free. However she paused just for a moment at 315 yards to look back. That was all I needed, and I sent the little 50gr VMax on its way. Dropped her right on the spot. I've made much further shots before, but give the rushed circumstances I was darn happy with this shot. So the coyote the day before I killed coming in to the stand, and yesterday's coyote I shot while it was trying to go away. Hence the title of this thread, "Get'em Coming or Going". :)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/TroyCoyote12-27-12A_zps8305d6fe.jpg

Thumper
12-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Dang that looks like fun! Well, except for the temps!

Big Skyz
12-28-2012, 05:18 PM
The temps in the first pic were a little on the cold side. The temps yesterday really weren't that bad and I over-heated a couple times while hiking uphill. Hard to find the right balance while hiking and then sitting for a stand.

HideHunter
12-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Nice work Skyz.. About impossible to get a clear shot at that range around here. Maybe catch one out clear across a beanfield or standing on ice in the river. ;) Stay after 'em.

Captain
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
You always have the neatest pictures! Wow that is some good shooting! I'm still on the deer and Pigs with just a couple of days left to go... I did manage to dispatch a nice Bobcat the other day. Big male but other than that its been horns and tusk for me.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

DeputyDog
01-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I've got my own coyote story to add to this..

I have a small section of woods that runs behind my house, usually see a few deer go through there, so I frequently look out the sliding doors on the back of the house that lead onto the deck. yesterday, I just happened to look out and saw a coyote moving slow through the woods.

It was about 3:00 in the afternoon and I was pretty surprised at what I saw. I went out through the garage and grabbed my M-16 from my police car. (Only rifle I own bigger than a .22 and I knew the mags were loaded and there was quick access).

Came back into the house and slid open the door just far enough to get the muzzle out. The yote, looked up, then went back to digging at something. As soon as it dropped it's head, I pulled the trigger and dropped it. Not nearly as long a shot as Troy takes, it was only about 125 yards, I hit it right behind the head and shot it through the neck. Not too bad since it's just the standard peep sight on the rifle.

Turned out it was a young female. I've been hearing them a lot more frequently at night, but was really surprised to see one that close to the house in the middle of the afternoon, especially since my lab is always out running around in the yard. At least this one won't be coming back.

Bwana
01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I tried to give B.S. a run for his money and went hunting on Saturday but had no luck. My hunting partner is new to the sport and turned down a shot he should have taken but that was the only coyote we saw. Not sure if it is just me but I have never had much luck hunting at the time of a full moon.