PDA

View Full Version : Turkey report

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 08:18 AM
We had an early dinner this year thanks to schedules so I was up and at 'me early, as were a bunch of others it looks like.

The turkey I made was in a apple herb type of brine with apple juice and a little vinegar and sugar for a couple days prior to being introduced to Senor Egg yesterday morning. I didn't like the 'finish' on the bird near as much,was a little dark for my taste probably due to how much sugar was in the apple juice. I like to use apple juice in a spray bottle on pork and beef when I'm smoking meat. Poultry not so much. It was a tasty bird though. Our bunch waded through that 21 pound bird like a dose of salts through a widow woman.

The maple bourbon pecan pie was good. A lot of trouble but good. Had a good visit but like every holiday I ws ready to see them go probably an hour before they actually got off their asses and left. I love my family, don't get me wrong. but they were on my last nerve by the time they walked out the door. Still, I smile when I think of yesterday! I t was a goodern.

Hope yours was too.

BKB

Big Muddy
11-25-2016, 09:31 AM
I don't have much family left, but we did get together and ate last night....afterwards, I swore I wasn't eating anything else for at least 24 hours....I think those 3 helpings of sweet potato casserole sorta blew my azz up!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 09:41 AM
I think I got my pecan fix for a month or two. Speaking of sweet tater casserole.

BKB

Thumper
11-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Man, I couldn't begin to list everything we had here. Lynn nailed it on the 21+ lb. bird. We only had 11 people here (counting the kids), but that pretty much nailed down every spot at the big 'ol family table. It was a great day and I got to have fun playing with the kiddies. What makes that even more fun is the fact I knew they'd all be going home at the end of the evening. :)

'Course, when it comes to adults, Lynn's brother and I always hook up and have some good (more intellectual) conversations. He's worked for Toyota (Corporate) as an engineer for Lexus for close to 40 years. He was driving a hydrogen car yesterday and it was kinda cool to spend some time with it. The dang thing seems to have more (or at least equal) "get up and go" compared to traditional cars, plus gets 320 miles to a tank full. Kinda cool and the only thing that comes out'ta the exhaust is H2O (not like a Stanley Steamer, ya' can't even see it).

Overall, a great visit.

Big Muddy
11-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Well, at least they didn't make you sit at the kid's table??? ;)

Thumper
11-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Growing up, we always had a kid's table. With only 11 people here, we had enough room for everyone at the main table. (With two leaves added)

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 11:34 AM
At one time hudrogen was touted as the fuel of the future. When you burn it you get, water.

I guess the part they have never firgure out is how to store it in a safe tank. How did you BIl's car use it? Compressed like CNG?

BKb

Captain
11-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Thump sat in the passenger seat with a hose up his ass!
That's how.

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Then three hundred miles is just the start of the trip!

BKB

Big Muddy
11-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Thump sat in the passenger seat with a hose up his ass!
That's how.

Dang you, Cap, I just spewed out my coffee. ;)

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2016, 12:40 PM
We did an 18lb bird that was dry brined on the rotisserie and it was done to an internal temp of 160 in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Tender and juicy like you would not believe. (It's like comparing a rotisserie chicken from Crisp and Juicy to an oven roasted bird.) My stuffing was a huge hit and I think I've finally landed on a recipe I will stick with for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I saw your picture and it made me hungry enough to go a piece of pie. Good looking bird? You'll have to splain this dry brining technique some time.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2016, 01:51 PM
My MIL does it. I think it's a Williams Sonoma thing. Mixture of herbs and stuff you spread all over the bird and throw in a bag for a couple of days in the fridge. You rinse it all off and then smear that bad boy with with herbed butter before throwing it in the rotisserie.

Your BGE bird looked pretty darn good as well. I think BGE has a rotisserie attachment as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk