PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Knowerabouters

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 01:15 PM
My grandson is six this coming year and shows both an aptitude for music and a real interest in playong one of the 'instruments' I have hanging on my office wall. I take one down and play him a song once in a while and he loves it. scarier yet, he seems to understand it. He is forever honking on one of my harmonicas.
So I'm thinking of buying him a beginner guitar for Christmas. Do I get a 3/4 'beginner' or get him a full size Yamaha or something? Or do I visit a pawn shop or ten and look for a goodun that'll last him fore er but I can afford?

Of course, none of this will mean squat to a five year old. But it will to me!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2016, 01:47 PM
We went with a 3/4 size for my younger boy. There's an outfit out of Richmond that sells a pretty nice produce for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
11-25-2016, 08:45 PM
I've been through this a time or two. Buy him something relatively cheap (under $300.00) with the lowest decent action on the fret board you can find. If that action sits too high he will get nothing but frustrated trying to fret any notes or chords. If it's too low the rattle noise will drive y'all nuts.

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Haha, yep. I learned to play on an old sunburst Harmony with f-holes that belonged to my step-grandpa. The action was so high it made your fingers sore to play it very long.

BKB