PDA

View Full Version : Deep Thoughts For Monday

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2016, 11:54 AM
I know its safer to stay shallow in online discussions. But my sister went and posted this clip this morning and it really made sense to me. It was something I needed to hear as I've been reading a human history book that kind of treat 'ideals' as big lies we tell ourselves to justify our actions.

Anyway, IMO the big ethical dilemna we face in human culture isn't whether we say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. Its about how much we value our society vs ourselves. When we opt out of a big part of human society, there are consequences we don't often consider. Like how much our survival as a species depends on cultural wisdom. Don't eat that mushroom! And where does cultural wisdom come from?

Without idealists, for one thing we wouldn't have teachers. I think that was my sister's point when she posted it. The rest of this rambling is mine.

BKB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bjOeECpjI&ebc=ANyPxKqJoUg-PtosaEC3JipW7xfn4XXwld3HVe9ja0t5Px6uScpzvGZgnPJ4No W3fryF1U2Cy4vth1v5zhyu3I1fbNxik3GaEg

Captain
11-28-2016, 03:44 PM
So if I know YOU can't catch but four fish, I should ACT like I think you can catch 8 fish. And then maybe you will catch 6 fish. Got-it.

quercus alba
11-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Al gore did away with the need for cultural wisdom when he invented the Internet. We now have the knowledge of the idealists in the form of blogs, twitter and of course Facebook

Thumper
11-28-2016, 05:54 PM
You're making my head hurt!

BarryBobPosthole
11-28-2016, 06:03 PM
So if I know YOU can't catch but four fish, I should ACT like I think you can catch 8 fish. And then maybe you will catch 6 fish. Got-it.

yes. and I should get a trophy.

bKB

Captain
11-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Got it..

BarryBobPosthole
11-29-2016, 10:28 AM
My whole point of this post wasn't to imply that everyone should be an idealist. The point kind of is that we have indeed lowered our expectations of one another, and to our own detriment. raising our expectations of people around us is a lot different than just acting differently. Its also not rewarding behavior that doesn't meet expectations.

So take what you ill from Goethe's words. I do beleive though that the general malaise we have in integrity in our nation is pretty much a result of our acceptance of a lower standard. And until we demand higher standards, not just from politicians but from everybody, we ain't gonna get them.

BKB

quercus alba
11-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Hear hear. Why didn't you just say that at the start?

BarryBobPosthole
11-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Well I kind of thought you deep thinkers would have come up with that on your own.

BKB

quercus alba
11-29-2016, 11:56 AM
My idea of deep thinking is breakfast

Captain
11-29-2016, 01:20 PM
You didn't think my fishing explanation was deep enough?