PDA

View Full Version : My wife woulda shot me !!!....

Big Muddy
11-30-2016, 04:15 PM
After deer hunting this morning, I decided to make a short squirrel hunt with Sandy....I, also, took my wife's new little 2 yr. old pound hound, Shorty, as he appears to love the outdoors, and chasing squirrels in the yard.

I turned the dogs out in a 40 acre block of hardwoods about 2 miles from our house.... Sandy hauled butt, and Shorty scampered around my feet for a while, then ventured out a little further, in the direction of Sandy....Sandy treed, but when I got to her, Shorty was no where to be found....it really didn't bother me too much because 99% of the time, if a dog is gun-shy, or in a new area, or just doesn't want to hunt, they'll just return and sit by the truck.

So, I let Sandy tree 2 or 3 more times, then returned to my truck....NO Shorty !!!....I called, but no Shorty....rode around, calling and blowing the horn....no Shorty....all I could think about was my wife being heartbroken.

I went back home to get the Ranger to go look for him, and the little turd met me in the driveway....he had never been to those woods before, but found his way home.

He musta really had those little short legs in high gear to find his way home, over 2 miles away !!!....btw, Shorty is a 100% heinz 57 dog. ;)

HideHunter
11-30-2016, 09:31 PM
lol... When I was gone a lot, doing the sports show circuit my wife decided she'd like to have a dog to keep her company. This came as a real surprise to me because I've probably had a over a hundred dogs (not counting puppies) and she never got much attached to any of them. I didn't want a "foo-foo" dog around so when I heard of a litter of Boykin spaniels in driving distance we went and looked.. and bought. "Wife's" dog (much to her chagrin) immediately latched onto me.. she thought she was, not a Boykin, but a Chesapeake. ;) She followed along one day when I was working dogs and we were probably 3/4 of mile from the house. She couldn't have been 12 weeks. Like you, I looked up and she was gone. She was just a little puppy (I thought - she didn't). Long story short - I got home and she was sitting on the back steps.. and she just got more independent from there. ;) Lived to be 14 and I shot quite a few pheasants over her.

LJ3
12-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Dogs am smart!

Big Muddy
12-01-2016, 10:32 AM
You got that right, Len....the odd thing is that Shorty laid on the floor of my truck on the trip to the woods....so, there wasn't any way he could see where we were going.

Heck, I know grown men who STILL don't have a sense of compass direction or an innate mental homing mechanism....dogs are just born with that inherent ability built into their little brains. ;)