PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating the breather

Bwana
12-01-2016, 09:59 AM
As I mentioned in one of Posthole's posts, Sunday night started off with rain which after a couple of hours turned to snow at about 10 PM. The snow kept on coming and coming and coming and did not end until yesterday afternoon. The official Bismarck total was 18.7" at the airport but there are numerous reports around town of up to 21". Given our total snowfall last winter was a bit shy of 25" this was quite the event.

Though I don't mind the snow, it is pretty disheartening to spend a couple of hours shoveling, snowplowing, and bucking snow with the tractor only to find it looks like you didn't do anything as the snow is falling so fast. Kind of like digging a hole in dry sand, you can make some progress but not without a fair amount of effort.

Needless to say, I'm glad the snow has stopped for a while.

Thumper
12-01-2016, 10:21 AM
What's snow? :confused:

Bwana
12-01-2016, 10:43 AM
It looks like this Thump.

Chicken Dinner
12-01-2016, 12:40 PM
That much snow at one time would, and has just last winter, shut us down for a week.

Thumper
12-01-2016, 12:51 PM
We landed in Salt Lake City on the way home and the ground was covered in snow. The airport is located adjacent to a mountain range and the snow covered mountains were beautiful to be honest. BUT ... to me, snow is like one'a those "nice place to visit, but wouldn't wanna live there" situations. Kinda like when Lynn's in-laws visit ... I love playin' with the kids, but enjoy the fact they'll be leaving about the time I get tired of 'em! ;)

Bwana
12-01-2016, 03:45 PM
CD, they actually did close school for 2 days in a row, which is unheard of around here, because of the fact the rain preceding the snow fell on unfrozen ground which made for icy/soggy conditions when coupled with all the snow and 30+ MPH winds made getting round with school buses no easy feat.

As for us working stiffs, it was business as usual.