PDA

View Full Version : Griswold, Wagner Ware and a Piqua Ware ... any requests?

Thumper
12-03-2016, 07:25 PM
I have a pile of cast iron that I was going to restore (electrolysis), but with the traveling we've been doing lately, I just haven't had the time for it. I've decided to go ahead and list them on eBay in "as is" condition. I don't plan on GIVING them away, I just won't be selling at restored prices. I will cut a HUGE discount for anyone here. Ha! Actually, make that a TINY discount if you're lucky!! (remember, this is how I make a living these days ... and it IS Christmas ya' know.) ;)

If anyone here is looking for a particular piece, give me a shout and I'll see what I have left. I've sold everything I've restored, but still have probably 15-20 pieces left here. I think they range from a 14"-15" (can't remember persactly) Griswold skillet down to a 6-1/2". I believe I even have some nickle plated Griswolds left (I sold a set of them a while back) I have a couple of Dutch Ovens (with lids) as well as a griddle or two. Heck, I even have a beautiful, super clean Griswold wall-hanger skillet (has a crack in it) if you're into decorating the cabin. (or you can maybe weld it and use it at deer camp). If'n any o'youse deplorables are looking to buy yourselves a Christmas present, give me a shout and I'll see if I can screw you over ...... errr, I mean, HELP you! Yeah, that's what I meant! :devilish:

Captain
12-03-2016, 09:59 PM
I need Oyster knifes... preferably OLD

Arty
12-03-2016, 10:03 PM
I need Oyster knifes... preferably OLD

I got a pair. At least I did. I haven't seen them in a couple of hours. Matter of fact last I saw them.... YOU had them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trav
12-03-2016, 11:35 PM
thump, I will rake a Dutch oven and one of the skillets

Thumper
12-04-2016, 01:41 AM
thump, I will rake a Dutch oven and one of the skillets

I'll run an inventory and see what I have. I have all of it stored in the garage awaiting restoration, but just don't have the time (read; I'm too lazy). ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-04-2016, 11:26 AM
After you do your inventory, let me know what you have in Griswold skillets.

BarryBobPosthole
12-04-2016, 11:38 AM
I am looking for a larger,deeper frying pan. Not a chicken fryer but a big wide skillet that is maybe and inch or two deeper than normal ones. I wish I knew what they call those but can't remember. Probably a BFS.
BKB

Captain
12-04-2016, 11:45 AM

BarryBobPosthole
12-04-2016, 12:18 PM
The one I'm looking for is probably a 15".

BKB

Thumper
12-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Dang P-hole ... an "inch or two deeper than normal ones" is a huge difference in a skillet. You say you don't want a "chicken fryer", but I'd have to guess that is what you want as a chicken fryer normally runs about 3" to 3-1/4" deep I think. I recently sold a really nice Griswold chicken fryer (with lid) and it sold for a premium! I believe it was 3" (or maybe 3-1/8") deep. I'm not sure what size skillet Trav wants, but I have a very large skillet in both Griswold as well as a Wagner. I guess I should just list what I have here, then if anyone's interested in anything in particular, I'll take a pic and post it.

Trav, I have two dutch ovens (both Wagner). One is all cast iron (pot & lid) and is ca. 1935 - 1959. The other is cast iron with a clear glass Pyrex lid. I have no idea when it was made as I have not been able to find the particular logo anywhere (block letters, "Wagner-Sydney, Ohio-USA" within an oval). I'll make a list of skillets in a few mins.

Thumper
12-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Those Lodges are crap Cappy. It's obvious you don't cook! ;)

You can buy 'em at Wally World.

Thumper
12-04-2016, 12:45 PM
The one I'm looking for is probably a 15". BKB

Yeah, I don't have anything that big Posty. Are you looking for just a basic skillet? If so, the Lodge would be the way to go. If you're looking for more of an investment or quality collector piece, it can get a bit pricey. I have a kick-ass Griswold w/heat-ring (I haven't dated it yet) that measures 13-1/4" across (14-1/4" at the spouts). It's in great shape and very clean. I also have an 11-1/2" (12+ at the spouts) Wagner Ware w/heat-ring here (1924-1935) that is also very clean. 'Course Trav gets first option. Not sure if he wants a bigger skillet or not. I have many smaller.

Trav
12-04-2016, 02:54 PM
I will take the griswold skillet and the all cast Dutch oven just let me know what you want for them.

Thumper
12-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm posting from my cell phone now Trav. I forgot Lynn had plans for me this afternoon and I won't be back home until this evening. I'll pull that Griswold out and get the details and some pics. I know when I first bought it, I checked and they were a bit pricey due to it's collector value, but we'll come up with a fair price. I'll pull the Dutch oven also and do the same. All I did was bring them home and coat them with vegetable oil to keep them from rusting, then stored them in my garage until I could get around to refurbishing them. I do remember those pieces were pretty clean to begin with, so they're in pretty good shape already. It may be tomorrow before I can get it done.

Trav
12-04-2016, 04:31 PM
No problem

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Bump. Would love to see the inventory.

Thumper
12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Ok, I think I've rounded everything up. I may have a few strays buried someplace, but this may be all I have left. As stated, I've sold all my restored pieces, but these are awaiting my super-duper cleaning process. I've decided I don't want to miss the heavy holiday sales season on eBay, so I'm selling "as-is" since I just don't have the time for proper cleaning. I also haven't researched all of them as to current pricing, so I'll do that on a piece by piece basis if anyone's interested. Here's what I have right now along with a basic description:

Griswold

1) #5 skillet 8" small logo (very clean/unrestored)
2) #7 skillet 10" small logo (dirty)
3) #8 skillet 10-1/2" large logo (a bit rusty, but will clean up)
4) #8 skillet 10-1/2" small logo (very clean/cracked/wall-hanger)
5) #9 skillet 11-1/4" small logo (very clean/unrestored)
6) #12 skillet 13-1/4" small logo w/heat ring (clean/unrestored)
7) #8 skillet 10-1/2" large logo CHROME PLATED (a bit dirty/normal wear)
8) #9 "Handle Griddle" 11" small logo (very clean/unrestored)

Wagner Ware
Sidney
-O-

9) #3 skillet 6-1/4" (clean, shallow logo)
10) #6 skillet 9" (dirty, shallow logo?)
11) #8 skillet 10" (clean/unrestored)
12) #9 skillet 11" w/heat ring (clean/unrestored)
13) #8 skillet 10" w/heat ring NICKEL PLATED (a bit dirty/normal wear)
14) Dutch Oven w/lid (all cast iron/very clean/unrestored)
15) Dutch Oven w/Pyrex lid (very clean/unrestored)

Favorite Piqua Ware (Diamond Miami logo)

16) #8 skillet 10" w/heat ring (dirty)

BSR (Birmingham Stove & Range)

17) RARE - tab handle 7" cast iron sauce pan lid (no pan)

That's about it for my "left-overs", unless I have something buried that I haven't found yet. 'Course, Trav has first dibs on a couple of the above pieces unless my exorbitant price scares him off. ;)

The only pics I have is of the Griswold griddle as I have it listed on The Bay right now (but can cancel if someone here wants it).

8240 8241

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2016, 12:50 PM
If Trav bails on the #12 small logo skillet and it doesn't wobble, I'm interested at a price that's fair for both of us. Is the #8 large logo skillet block or slant? I might also be interested in that or the #9 skillet if they're both flat. You can pm or email me if you'd like. (I'd like all three, but my Mrs. is out there Christmas shopping with our Amex and I have no idea what kind of havoc she may be wreaking as I type...)

Thumper
12-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Chick, I just pulled the #8 & #9. Once I brought them in the house, I remembered buying the #8. I found it OUTSIDE at an estate sale, full of rain water on top of a gas grill! Man-o-man, it made me sick seeing that. The bottom is in great condition, but the rust on the inside is worse than I remembered it. I'm going to clean the veg. oil off of it, then give it a vinegar bath and see how it turns out, but I'm sure the cooking surface will have some bad pitting. It would make a good camp skillet, but it'll never be a primo collector piece. I'll take some pics once I clean it up a bit, but I'm not sure it's anything you'd be interested in.

The #9 is a beautiful piece and I don't even think any restoration would make an improvement. It's VERY nice. As for sitting flat, I don't think I have a flat surface in this house! All of our counter-tops are 4" tile and we have an electric range (with coils). I usually just check the bottoms with a straight edge (metal ruler) and check them on my kitchen table for spinning/rocking. The #9 has a very slight rock, but it's not quite bad enough to be a spinner, although you may get a partial spin on a glass-top range.

I've sold all my slant logo pans, all I have left is block.

HideHunter
12-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Those Lodges are crap Cappy. It's obvious you don't cook! ;)

You can buy 'em at Wally World.

Thump - couple years ago I'd have a greed with you.. then.... A friend of mine who knows I use cast, gave me a brand new #8 Lodge skillet. I figured we could use one at Turkey Camp so I proceeded to season and use it awhile. Long story short.. while it will never be as "smooth" as my old cast - hell, it works pretty good. Doesn't seem to have any hot spots and is as non-stick as my Griz stuff. I have started using a steel scratcher and water to clean my cast, inside and out. Can't believe how it's battled the "crusties".

Thumper
12-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Yep, I don't cook, but I do stay up on the blogs and CI collector websites so I'll have at least a small clue as to what I'm dealing with. The CI snobs do nothing but trash the Lodge stuff for various reasons. I can understand the flip side though ... I have tons of nice trophies on the wall, but every single deer, bear, bird ... whatever ... was shot with a gun I bought, pulled it out of the box, sighted it in and went hunting with it. I've got some darned nice fish mounted that I caught with whatever was on the Blue-Light Special at K-mart. To the hard-core gun enthusiasts and fishermen around this joint, I'd get laughed out'ta the woods ... or boat. :D

I have no doubt a properly seasoned, newer Lodge will cook an egg ... but it sure doesn't have any collector or CI snob appeal. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2016, 11:54 AM
I'm still interested in the #9 depending on price. That griddle looks sweet as well. But, I just can't justify it as I have an unmarked Lodge that's the exact same thing. (More of a want than a "need".). PM or email me if you'd like.

Speaking of Lodge, I picked up a new rectangular griddle two years ago that's turned out to be one of the smoothest pans I own. I keep it in the oven all the time even when not cooking on it and the seasoning is hard as nails and incredibly smooth.

Thumper
12-06-2016, 12:07 PM
I'll try to get some pricing worked up for you guys. I've been as busy as a one-armed paper-hanger this week. I hoped to get something done today, but a gal who does estate sales here in town just called and asked if I could give her a hand today prepping for this weekend's sale, so I'm headed that way now. (plus I'll get a sneak peek at the goods) :D

Captain
12-06-2016, 12:09 PM
CD said one of these old pieces I have here at the SC farm is a good piece.
I have no clue. The only mark I see on it is a big X on the bottom.

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2016, 12:42 PM
I'll try to get some pricing worked up for you guys. I've been as busy as a one-armed paper-hanger this week. I hoped to get something done today, but a gal who does estate sales here in town just called and asked if I could give her a hand today prepping for this weekend's sale, so I'm headed that way now. (plus I'll get a sneak peak at the goods) :D

Which goods? Hers or the ones for sale?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2016, 12:49 PM
It looked like it was a "gate-marked" skillet. Basically, a really old piece where you could see where they poured the iron into the mold and started putting brand names on them.

CD said one of these old pieces I have here at the SC farm is a good piece.
I have no clue. The only mark I see on it is a big X on the bottom.

BarryBobPosthole
12-06-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm still interested in the #9 depending on price. That griddle looks sweet as well. But, I just can't justify it as I have an unmarked Lodge that's the exact same thing. (More of a want than a "need".). PM or email me if you'd like.

Speaking of Lodge, I picked up a new rectangular griddle two years ago that's turned out to be one of the smoothest pans I own. I keep it in the oven all the time even when not cooking on it and the seasoning is hard as nails and incredibly smooth.

Hank I have that same round griddle and it is a piece you would enjoy using. I had business in Chicago one time and sneaked over to Cedar Rapids from there and met up with his brothers at Bassdog's favorite Friday watering hole.
it was on his 50th birthday and he had no idea we were there. We lined up on barstools and he walked in and sidled up to the bar and we didn't say a word. When he finally noticed us he was dumbfounded and burst into tears.
When I left to go home that Sunday he gave me that piece of cast iron. I think he said he paid five dollars for it at a flea marketor garage sale or something.
well, i went through security at the Cedar Rapids airport with it my garment bag. I told them it was in there and pulled it out. Every airport security officer in the place seemingly came over to look at it and domment on it. Said it was a right nice piece.
So mine has a story and a good memory behind it that I think about and smile every time I use it to make an omelet.

BKB

HideHunter
12-06-2016, 12:57 PM
I have a round Griz griddle I had never used. Short on skillets for a big breakfast, got it out to fry hashbrowns one day a few months ago and have used it almost daily since.

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2016, 01:17 PM
The history behind those old pieces is one of the things I really love.

HideHunter
12-06-2016, 01:29 PM
CD.. I just gave my great-Grandmother's skillet (given to me by my Grandma) to my son. I've used it for 46 years and he's using it now. Bottom is so etched you can't tell what it was..