PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious Behavior

BarryBobPosthole
12-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Yesterday on I40 from East Tennessee all the way until it got dark when I was about Little Rock I started noticing, me being a noticer and all, old yellow Penske rental trucks with the Penske logo all but wiped out. From the side or front you'd probably not even take note of it. Every one had a hispanic driver. I must have seen six or seven of them all spread out across the state. And every one of the drivers looked hispanic. Also spread out across the state were six or seven Tennessee statie looking cars with 'Drug Task Force' on the side. That's a lot of cops for drug interdiction, especially on one highway. I never saw any of them with anybody pulled over though. But wouldn't that many old Penske rental truck be suspicious? Did somebody buy a bunch at a fleet auction and hire a bunch of drivers? Or are they mules? in that case east to west doesn't make sense.
If I'd been one of those drug cops I'd have pulled one over and checked him out.

BKB

Thumper
12-08-2016, 03:04 PM
And your probable cause would be .... ?

Wouldn't that be profiling? ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Driving while brown...

LJ3
12-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Broken tail light. Buford Pusser, style.

Thumper
12-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Ha ha! I knew ol' Buford Pusser. Honest. But I ain't gonna tell you about him 'cause I'll just catch hell over it. (BTW, he was so friggin' crooked they had to screw him in the ground when he died) Oh yeah, he also showed me a bunch of his scars. ;)

LJ3
12-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Oh come on Jimmy! It's been a while since we got a Kribbs story!

Thumper
12-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Quit twisting my arm ... no, really ... STOP! Oh ok, if you insist! ;)

He was a regular at the Caddie dealership in Memphis. In fact, he'd buy a new Cadillac every year and the first thing we'd do when he'd come in to pick it up, was transfer the red lights and siren from his previous car to his new car. They didn't show, but were hidden behind the grille. He spent quite a bit of time in Memphis although he was actually the Sheriff of McNairy County which was just a couple counties east of Shelby County (Memphis). When he was younger, he was a wrestler and in Memphis he hung out with the local wrestlers in town. Heck, I remember one time, Pusser walked into the shop with Jackie Fargo and Jerry Lawler. They were all arm in arm, I think they were drunk as skunks and they were just a little loud and obnoxious. It's funny, because when Lawler started wrestling, he and Fargo were always mortal enemies! :)

Anyway, Pusser was in hanging around one day with some guy. I can't remember who he was, but they started talking about a bunch of moonshine stills Pusser had busted up recently. This other guy mentioned that they had it coming and since they hadn't "paid up", they should have expected it. I assumed Pusser would let the shiners who paid him a bit of "protection money" slide and the others were f'd. BUT ... according to his "legacy" ... he couldn't be paid off and was "squeaky clean". Seeing him in action personally, I have my doubts ... plus I'm not sure where the Sheriff from some podunk county in West Tennessee got the money to buy a new Caddie every year. Who knows?

I do know he got into all sorts of crap after he was ambushed and his wife was killed (she wasn't supposed to be with him ... just bad timing on her part). He was all scarred up and his face was totally fubar where he'd had his dang jaw shot off in the ambush. Heck, through the years, the dude had been stabbed a bazillion times, shot a couple times and who knows what kinds of brawls he was involved in? Rumor had it that he killed the guys who ambushed him (they were local moonshiner/mobster types). I kinda lost track of the crap he was involved in as I went off to college and then into the Army. My buddy who was the parts manager at the dealership knew him also and told me about Pusser getting killed. He had been in town (Memphis) partying and drinking after making a deal for another movie (following Walking Tall) and was headed home in his souped up Corvette at a "high rate of speed". He was killed when he lost control and crashed.

He was always played up to be a super hero ... but personally, I think he had a few skeletons in his closet! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Did he drive an old yellow truck? No.

Kb

Thumper
12-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Yep. I could see where it once said Penske, but it had been kinda rubbed off. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-08-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm just saying what I saw.

I'll bet they were illegal too.

How's the wall coming?

BKB

Thumper
12-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Wall building materials were what was loaded in all those trucks. What did YOU think was in there? :D

Arty
12-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm just saying what I saw.

I'll bet they were illegal too.

How's the wall coming?

BKB

A Wall? A WALL!?

I hear that train a comin' it's rollin' round the bend
And Posty's gonna jump on, join all his friends
Everybody saw it comin, down in south car-o-line
That big shiny trump train
Has turned this o-kie blind

(Sing that to the tune of Folsom prison). It's perfect.

If I only knew someone that could play that song on a gee-tar I'd have sung it last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain
12-08-2016, 08:10 PM
He's gonna donate to the reelection campaign...

LJ3
12-08-2016, 10:09 PM
If I only knew someone that could play that song on a gee-tar I'd have sung it last weekend.

Eat me.

Thumper
12-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Ha ha ha! Lynn and I are on the way to the beach for the weekend and we're on I-4 Westbound. Within the first 20 miles, we've already been passed by two Penske trucks with the name stripped off of them. You can still see the outline of the lettering in the faded yellow paint. Problem is, they had already gone by before I had time to see if they were being driven by Messkins! We're just about to hop onto I-75 and you can bet I'll have my eyes peeled for those little wall-jumpers! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Its some kind of deal I'm telling you. It may be a legit deal, but there is a connection.

Like all those damned dc3's in Florida. Since we were mobile combat com, we did a lot of site survey type stuff in the AF around small town airports on the west coast of Florida. port charlotte and what not. We were mainly seeing if the freq charts we were given were worth a damn and the location wasn't under water or something. Which happened more than you'd think.
Every damned airport had two or three old dc3s parked out on the apron. One of the airport managers told me they'd land at a small airport, unload their shit and skeedaddle, and abandon the plane. Then buy it back at the sheriff auction.

BKB

Thumper
12-09-2016, 07:02 PM
My guess is, it's the end of the year and Penske is selling off the older inventory for the end of year depreciation write-off as they replace the fleet with newer vehicles. I think they sell off any vehicles once they hit 90K - 110K miles.

BUT, drug runner conspiracy theories are much more fun! :)

Captain
12-09-2016, 07:14 PM
My first cousin actually is the lease manager for the big rigs for Penske for several southern states. I could call-email-text him and find out exactly what's going on, but I enjoy y'all's theories a lot better than the actual truth. :D

Thumper
12-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Truth??? We don't need no stinkin' truth!! ;)