PDA

View Full Version : Big Chill New Years

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Back in about 1973, when Trav was a tadpole in his daddy's sack, there were five of us that lived in a big two story frame dump of a house in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Our landlord, Mr Williams, was an old dude who always wore a suit when he came by to collect the rent and had a blue, no shit, blue prosthetic arm and hand. Some artistic types had lived in the house before us and there were psychedelic wall murals all through the house. There were two of us who weren't in school, and the other three guyswere students at OSU. With five guys there, there was always a party of some kind going on. It was a cool time and the stories from those days are legendary. I know of at least two parties where my roommate and good friend Steve ended up trading cars with somebody. We weathered ice storms, tornadoes, floods,and numerous girl type hangers on there. I was a dry wall finisher then and worked at a DX station on weekends, back when we wiped windows and offered full service. Man, Fridays when the coeds all headed home were awesome in warm weather. I cleaned windows extry good then.
So, tomorrow Julie and I meet up with three of my four old roomies and their wives from those days and we'll spend New Years with them and they all head out Tuesday. The other one died this summer. We don't keep in touch much so it'll be strange to see them all. We called ourselve 'freaks' in those days, which was supposedly cooler than 'hippies'. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. We've all rented cabins at Keystone Lake and I spent today smoking meat on the BGE in prep for it. Pork butt, baloney, ribs, and two chickens.

I'm the only one that's still a freak. There's a civil engineer, a telecom tech, an exec for an AV company, and me. We'll see. Can't help but be a bit ansty. I'm taking a bunch of liquor and have twisted up a few
just in case I need reinforcement.

Pray for me. If you'll pray for those damned redskins you gotta pray for me.

By the way, I loaded that BGE with charcoal amd wood chunks at 10:00 this mornimg and smoked meat till 8:00 and never had to add a lump. That thing is the tits.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a helluva way to ring in the New Year. I'll pray that you old freaks can handle it!

Arty
12-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Man that sounds like a good time.

Trav
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Make sure to buy some ensure to mix with your liquor. In all seriousness sounds like a good time, take your camera and a zoom lens. There are a lot of bald eagles at keystone this time of year. Oh and for the record I was 2 years old in 73.

Big Muddy
12-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Go for it, Phole....like the quote from Shawshank; "Get busy living, or get busy dying." ;)

Buckrub
12-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Well?
And YOU lived with OSU guys? Really?

You are SUCH a hypocrite!

BarryBobPosthole
01-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Haha, yep! Caught major grief for it all weekend too. Three of the for spouses were OSU grads too, in addition to my three buddies. I had a whole different educational curricula when we were all together.
BKB

LJ3
01-01-2013, 01:21 PM
That sounds like a blast! You guys are starting to get me REALLY wanting a BGE.

BarryBobPosthole
01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
A good looking bunch.

BarryBobPosthole
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
An old girlfriend.

This gal found many interesting hiding places to turn up throughout the weekend as you can imagine.

BKB

Niner
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Who's that guy on the left that looks like Rooster Cogburn?:

Thumper
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
That's cool. Lynn and I were in Memphis for Thanksgiving. We had no specific plans for the holiday ... we simply took advantage of an extra day off for her vacation. I gave my old high school buddy/college roommate a call to see what he was doing (he lives a couple hours out of Memphis now) and found out he was going to spend T-giving at his mother's house in Memphis, along with his brother and his wife. We were invited over and we met at his mom's house. I hadn't seen his mom or his brother since 1970! His brother was just a little squirt back then and it was funny to see him as an old married dufe with kids running around the house! It was a great reunion and Lynn heard quite a few stories she'd never heard before ... I'm not so sure that was a "good" thing though! ;)

I also dialed my mom's number while there and stuck him on the phone. He practically lived at our house when we were in h/s and he was like one of the family back in the day, so they had a fun conversation.

jb
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Damn, you're looking more and more like Willie Nelson.:friendly_wink:

Buckrub
01-02-2013, 11:49 AM
and Willie is looking more and more like Death Warmed Over.

Maybe an earring or two and a bra, if you wanna look like a girl??????

Thumper
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I think someone is stuck in the 70's. ;)

(not that that's a bad thing ... I'm just sayin') :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I ain't stuck anywheres.

BKB