PDA

View Full Version : In my yard....

Big Muddy
12-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Sorry about the photo quality, but I zoomed in, as much as possible with my iphone....this young eagle has been hanging around my yard for about a week....yesterday, he circled over the house for about 10 mins, then landed....he's stunning, when in flight.

Thumper
12-15-2016, 11:51 AM
That's cool! We have a pair in the neighborhood. I'm not sure where their nest is, but I suspect it's close as I see them around the house often. We had a stray momma cat that showed up a while back and we started feeding her and her 4 kittens. I fed them one night and the next morning there were only 3 kittens. I've always wondered if the little one got grabbed by one of those eagles. Here's all that's left of the 5.

BarryBobPosthole
12-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Very cool, Eddie.

Very uncool, Thumper.

It'll be time to start picking out an eagle nest cam to watch about the first of the year. There's one in florida that is awesome.

We still have one lonesome Coopers hanging out in the neighborhood. The squirrels can't stand it. Of course, they were already pissed about the pecans not showing up.

BKB

Arty
12-15-2016, 02:50 PM
One thing I miss about living on Lake Gaston, Va is the eagles we'd see. There was a pair about 1/2 mile up the lake, east of the cove we lived on. We'd always anchor up and float right in front of this group of big trees, the biggest of which was dead. They were there every single time. Saw them snag fish in full flight many times.
Eagles are cool.
Cats suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
12-15-2016, 03:10 PM
I think Jimmy's neighbors prolly wish there was a nesting pair of eagles in his back yard. ifyouknowhatimean. #thiscomingfromsomeonethatlikescats

LJ3
12-15-2016, 03:11 PM
We're lucky that we get to see bald eagles all the time when fishing the upper potomac. It's actually odd if you don't see at least one now. Usually way more. The population has really come back now.

BarryBobPosthole
12-15-2016, 03:33 PM
When my son Dan was a youngster I took his Cub Scout troop up to Sutton Avian Research Center. It was one of the coolest tours ever. At the time, they were still raising and releasing bald eagles. The process they went through to raise the eagles where they never ever saw humans, the 14,000 quail they raised just to feed the eaglets, and the process to release them was fascinating. I think they played a major role in bringing back baldies in the south. Now that they aren't endangered, the Sutton center has moved on to prairie songbirds last I heard.

BKB

http://www.suttoncenter.org/about/

HideHunter
12-15-2016, 10:14 PM
They're cool enough. Had 12 sitting in the tree behind my house this morning (I've counted as many as 40 "matures" within a half mile - (( juvies don't count))).. We have a resident pair that has a nest about a quarter mile below the house. I'm not a huge fan. I believe Ben Franklin called them. "a glorified buzzard". "The Bald Eagle is too lazy to fish for himself; when the Osprey has taken a fish ... the eagle pursues him and takes it away from him. ... Besides he is a rank coward ..." frightened by a kingbird." "But the Wild Turkey", Franklin wrote, is "a bird of courage [that] would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British guards, who should presume to invade his farmyard with a red coat on." :D

Big Muddy
12-16-2016, 10:04 AM
I've never seen so many eagles, as there are in Alaska....they were literally in every treetop....on our first stop in Ketchikan, the first thing I remember seeing was a huge A-frame building, with about a hundred eagles, lined up on the apex of the roof like sparrows....I was so amazed that I took dozens of pictures, however, by the end of our trip, and seeing thousands of them everywhere, I hardly gave them a second glance.

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2016, 10:14 AM
There's a place over in NW Arkansas that is great fishing in the winter because its a warm water discharge lake from a nuclear power plant. I've been to Gentry Lake in February and seen bass on the beds. All around there are chicken houses. Between the warm water lake and the dead chickens they get to feed on there are hundreds of baldies there in the winter. The first time I saw them from a distance I thought it was a big bunch of buzzards circling around bunched up like they do sometimes in the wintertime. But as we got closer we could make out they were baldies. Its quite a spectacle.

BKB

Captain
12-16-2016, 12:39 PM
The meat is too stringy for me... I don't like em....