PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now you have to admit .. this is cool!

Thumper
12-20-2016, 09:22 PM
I just started digging through the treasures I dragged home with me from a couple of estate sales last Friday. When I got home, I pulled this pan out of my truck and stuck it in the garage since we were getting ready to head south for the weekend. I forgot about it until a couple hours ago. So far, I've only found two of them on the net. One sold a while back for $223.50. I found another one listed for $215, but it hasn't sold. Those are the only two examples I can find (that match mine that is). Maybe you guys can give me a better search term. I call these "cowboy pans" or "campfire skillets". I'll continue to dig around before I list this thing, but personally, I think it's super cool.

Mine measures a total of 37-1/2" long. (The handle is 21" long and the pan is 16-1/2" across, lip to lip) It's 3" - 3-1/8" deep and weighs almost 8-1/2 lbs. There is a heavy metal strap riveted to the pan itself and it continues on as one piece to form the handle (very strong, heavy gauge steel).

Anybody here know anything about this monster? It sure would be a cool camp skillet!

8310 8311

8312 8313

HideHunter
12-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Guides in Canada called them "50 egg skillets".

Thumper
12-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Ha ha ha! They'd prolly fit Hidey-Ho! You could sure fry up a mess o'fish in that thing!

Captain
12-20-2016, 09:51 PM
I actually made a Thump find several years ago. I was hunting a place turkey season one spring and came across an old barn that had collapsed. I always enjoyed poking around old log structures etc just looking for old stuff. I moved some old tin and found a 80 gallon cast iron syrup pot. I bet it weighs 300 plus pounds. I talked to the old guy that owned the property and he said it was his grandfathers and when he was a little boy they grew sugar cane and would boil syrup in it. He said I could have it if I could get it out. I did not waste time and went to the farm and got a trailer and chainsaw and cut my way in. It was all I could do to lift it up on one side and roll it into the trailer but I got it. I stopped by the old guys house and gave him a hundred dollar bill and took it home and made a firepit out of it. Still had no clue what I had other than a big ass cast iron pot.
A few years went by and a friend of mine saw it and offered me $2,500 for it. I did not sell it but I should probably quit using it for a firepit. Here's one identical to it.

Thumper
12-20-2016, 10:00 PM
That IS neat! In fact, I remember your mentioning that a while back. Yep, I'd quit the fire pit routine also if I were you! You need to SELL some stuff! ;)

Captain
12-20-2016, 10:06 PM
I need to sell a PILE of crap...

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Digging around old collapsed barns in warm weather? Have you lost your ever loving snake handling mind? You're lucky some big cane break rattler didn't get a piece of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain
12-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Just push them out the way, they more scared of me then I am of them. Snakes ain't nothing but a big worm.

Thumper
12-20-2016, 10:45 PM
With teefusses! ;)