PDA

View Full Version : Pay or not? College Athletes

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 10:50 AM
So now it's three, Fournette of LSU, McCaffery of Stanford, and now Shock Linwood of Baylor are all sitting out their school's appearance at their bowl game. The reason they're all sitting is because they don't want to risk getting injured in their last college game when they all expect multimillion dollar paydays starting with their next game as a pro. Back in the AF we called it being short.
It s really not that selfish of an act when you consider the major bowl payouts this year is $18 million dollars. And sure, they got a scholly and it was worth several hundred thousand dollars. But that is still beans compared to what major universities make off of football, and at its core they make that money off of their star's performances in football games. Those players are marketing their colleges on TV and the better they are, the more marketing power they have for their brand.
What this made me think about is what's going to happen when the star player sits out of a CFB Playoff game? Now that's something to ponder on.

I'm kind of on the players side in this deal. And they're using the only tool they seem to have to get the administrations to listen to them.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2016, 10:59 AM
I've got no problem with them sitting out. I also have no problem if college athletes are paid some sort of stipend so they have some walking around money. However, I'm against them being paid "salaries". I get that major college football and basketball have become the minor leagues of the NFL and NBA. But, it doesn't have to be that way. I also don't think you can isolate football and basketball and say look at how much money the schools are making. You need to look at the entire athletic department and how much these programs subsidize the non-revenue sports versus lining the coaches pockets and building expensive facilities that the rest of the students never see.

Personally, I root for the uniform and would continue to do so even if we got back to these kids being "student athletes".

Big Muddy
12-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Ha, just do like Saban, and make football stars outta the freshmen and sophomores....they won't hardly go pro, yet. ;)

Btw, Fournette won't last in the pros ....he's not a durable running back, even a hang-nail will sideline him.

On the flip side, McCaffery is a tough gamer and swoof as a spider monkey. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Only because the NFL has the 3 year rule on entering the draft.

Ha, just do like Saban, and make football stars outta the freshmen and sophomores....they won't hardly go pro, yet. ;)

Big Muddy
12-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Yep, that's what I'm talking about.

Thumper
12-21-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm a totally uninterested party here, but from the outside looking in, I suppose I do have an opinion.

They got a frigging scholarship. They're coddled the whole time they're attending school. They most likely received a degree ... even if that degree is for underwater basket weaving. Their college ball days is an INTERNSHIP IMHO. They're learning the game and maturing as players while being taught the ropes by coaches and staff who are paid by the university. While playing in college, they are afforded tons of free publicity through national television, etc. They're brought to the attention of NFL (or name your sport basketball or whatever) scouts and team owners. Quit'chr bitchin' ... once your "apprenticeship" is completed, you can thank your alma mater for leading you into a multi-million dollar/year profession. Why don't they just come out with football degrees? Or basketball degrees? Basically, that's the only reason these players are going to school in the first place ... to learn and mature ... leading to exposure. If you cut the mustard, you get your degree and go pro. If you get failing grades, change your major or drop out. Does a med. student get paid as a doctor before he/she gets their degree? Can a med student "sit out" his/her final labs for fear they may catch some sort of infection before starting their residency or internship? Give me a frigging break!

Ball players are put on waaay too tall a pedestal in this country IMHO. Heck, half of them can barely spell their name after receiving a "degree". I've listened to countless after-game interviews with some of these players and have wondered what frigging language they're speaking! Ghetto English?

And don't hit me with the old "so and so" played pro ball and went on to become a rocket scientist after retiring. I'm talking generalities here.

Again, this is purely MHO, so don't shoot the messenger. If P-hole can be curmudgeonly, so can I! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Wow. That was an cogent, articulate, and well thought out argument. Objection overruled!

So you think it's okay for the school to sell a bazillion jerseys with that athlete's name on the back and he not see a dime?
They 'own' him and everything about him for the cost of a scholarship?
BKB

Thumper
12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
No problem. If you're that good, drop out of high school and go pro. Who needs college? Did you ever think that those jersey sales could go to help pay for their free ride on an athletic scholarship? I'm sure I'm not alone here, but if I remember correctly, I had to PAY for my college education out of my own pocket.

LJ3
12-21-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm with Jimmy! They're already living a charmed life. They are also learning a very important life lesson. Those with the gold make the rules. Crying to get a cut of it just makes you a crybaby. The college is putting you in a position to be make more money than you ever dreamed possible. You deserve none of it. If you think you deserve a cut, you should have some financial skin in the game before you step foot on campus.

Thumper
12-21-2016, 12:21 PM
BTW, you're free to flame away Postie. Speaking out against borderline illiterate ball players being paid millions of dollars to play a frigging game in this sports obsessed country makes me an instant underdog. BUT, I'm headed over to the auto auction and won't be here to defend myself, so have at it.

I'll catch youse ball watchin' couch potatoes later. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Pardon me sir, but that's ball scratchin' couch potato. I'll leave the ball watchin' to you cat fanciers.

BKB

quercus alba
12-21-2016, 12:43 PM
If you apply that logic to business then we'd eat ourself alive. Should the IT man get a bigger piece of the pie be use he keeps the computers running which is the lifeblood of the company? How about the elevator repair man, should he have a place on the board?

College athletes are getting an education if they choose to use it. They're getting professional training to enhance their draft status. Where does it end? Colleges are not in the money losing business, a stipend and education is adequate compensation

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
So I hear what you guys are saying. Does that mean that you think they owe it to their universities then to play in whatever extended season the team makes it to? That they are under a financial obligation to the school to do so? Or would you be okay if the stars with NFL futures sat out of the college football playoffs?

BKB

quercus alba
12-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Why stop at the bowl, why not just sit out your junior season. And be sure to lock yourself in your room, be a shame to fall down the stairs. And do not drive under any circumstances

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
I'd be bummed if it was my team and it was the playoffs. If it was the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, not so much. The colleges treat I like a business and don't get to complain when the players do as well.

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Husqvarna makes a much better weedwhacker in my opinion.

BKB

Big Muddy
12-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Nah, gimme a Stihl on any piece of equipment. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 01:32 PM
I have a Stihl chainsaw and love it. Once I figured out how to use the wind up starter gizmo they have I love it. Its just a homeowner model. I think my Husqvarna equipment starts better and easier and lasts a bit longer than most other stuff though.

BKB

LJ3
12-21-2016, 02:05 PM
So I hear what you guys are saying. Does that mean that you think they owe it to their universities then to play in whatever extended season the team makes it to? That they are under a financial obligation to the school to do so? Or would you be okay if the stars with NFL futures sat out of the college football playoffs?

BKB

If I'm Athletic Director, you're mufuggin' ass is playing in every game your team plays.

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 02:23 PM
So the big important life lesson that college athletes must take away is to be grateful for whatever the guys in suits decide to give you. That'll work well in corporate life.

\BKB

LJ3
12-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Well the lesson certainly shouldn't be they're entitled to something just because they're good at playing a game. There's got to be some room in the middle and it shouldn't include paying them anything :)

Captain
12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Let's "let" em sell part if their jersey space.
Like NASCAR. Or maybe the butt of their basketball shorts...
That ought to fix it.

DeputyDog
12-21-2016, 04:13 PM
How about this option? The free ride ends as soon as you make the decision not to participate. You decide not to play in the bowl game or whatever to prevent injury, then your playing career is over and so is the free ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ3
12-21-2016, 04:29 PM
I can work with that. And they pay for their entire education plus 500% interest. Seems reasonable :)

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm glad the Christmas spirit hasn't softened you old bastards up any.

BKB

Thumper
12-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Scouts hit high schools and even middle schools to study possible future players. I know way back when I went to h/s, they charged a $1.00 admission. Should high schoolers start screaming for part of the ticket sales? Where do you draw the line? If you're good through college, you may get your face plastered on some cereal box some day. Mark that income down as reimbursement from your particular college.

Carry it out ... kids work their childhood away to make the Olympics. They're amateurs until they get the Olympics under their belts, then they have a decision to stay in the amateur ranks, or move on to accepting money for their talents and become pro's. If they're lucky enough to take home a medal or three, they might even get their own cereal box! Should we start paying Olympians?

LJ3
12-21-2016, 05:10 PM
A HS game costs you 6 bucks these days.

Thumper
12-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Yeah, it's been a while since I was a h/s brat! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 05:35 PM
They didn't wear helmets then either.

BKB

Thumper
12-21-2016, 05:45 PM
They were leather. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 05:54 PM
As were condoms! We were tough in those days!

BKB

Captain
12-21-2016, 06:08 PM
If college athletes are so abused why is every kid and their parents trying like hell to get to play in college sports??
There MUST be some benefit to it or folks would not be working their asses off to get to do it.
I guess we now have snowflake athletes ....

airbud7
12-21-2016, 07:45 PM
% to Major pro...... NCAA to Total Pro
........1.6......................1.9%

Thats^ over 98% don't make pro.........

Yes they need some pocket change/ pay up or I'm telling Trump :D

BarryBobPosthole
12-21-2016, 08:11 PM
But its true that like snowflakes, each of them is unique.

BKB

Captain
12-21-2016, 08:40 PM
But its true that like snowflakes, each of them is unique.
BKB
Yea, and you don't have to pay snowflakes