PDA

View Full Version : Dang Cappy!

Thumper
12-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Send me that drawer full of old phones you have there gathering dust!

I went to Verizon today and walked out with two new iPhone7's (128GB) and an iPad Air ... total expenditure .... $160.49 (that includes all charges plus tax).

I opted to keep my (2) iPhone6-Plus' instead of trading them in.

Verizon updated my existing plan to an even better plan (exactly the same as my old plan, but with 3 GB extra data). It came out $50 cheaper than my OLD plan! I bought the phones on a $20/mo. payment (each) for 24 months. So, with the $20/mo. for the new phones, I'm still $10/mo. ahead of the game. The old iPhone6-Plus' we have are only 16GB and they're selling on eBay for an easy $600! (I have the orig. boxes, paperwork, chargers, earbuds, etc). Verizon had a deal running where the iPad was $150 (normally $300-$350) with the purchase of a new phone, so I figured, what the heck? (One-stop shopping ... Christmas phone for Lynn and the iPad for her birthday .. 2/10) To add the iPad to my account is an extra $10/mo! So I came out with two new iPhone7-Plus' (128GB) and a new iPad for $160.49! I still have the old dinky 16GB iPhone6-Plus' that I can dump on The Bay for $1200.00! So I'm at least $1000 in the black. :D

Captain
12-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Sorry dude, we still have the old, old for real no limit plan that has not been offered in 8 years or so.
If we upgrade and get the phones at a cheaper price we will loose that plan. That is way we buy our phones straight out.
Last month for example I (alone) used 18 gigs of data. Some months will be more and some less. But we will keep our unlimited and buy the phones straight out.

Thumper
12-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Yep, I used to have one of those plans (unlimited EVERYTHING!). In fact, I've had the same carrier (now Verizon) since August of 1989! I lost it when I put my mom on my plan and had to change it. She never used her phone for two years (wouldn't even charge it) so I cancelled her service. Her phone is still sitting in one of her kitchen cabinets and I'm stuck with a "newer, more conventional" plan. :(

Send me the drawer full anyway and I'll dispose of them for you. Heck, for the money you have tied up in phones, you could pay for all the data you'd need for the next 20 years! ;)

Arty
12-22-2016, 01:04 AM
He does need to send them to you. The Old fart won't listen to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
12-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Last month for example I (alone) used 18 gigs of data.

sounds like a lot of wiener wrangling taking place in those box stands

Captain
12-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Not unless you weinner rattle to western movies...

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2016, 09:32 AM
I think Captain was holding out for these to come out.

BKB

This store is selling gold-plated Trump iPhones to the super rich
http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/22/luxury/trump-gold-iphone-goldgenie-store-uae/index.html

Thumper
12-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Sorry dude, we still have the old, old for real no limit plan that has not been offered in 8 years or so. If we upgrade and get the phones at a cheaper price we will loose that plan.

Dang Cappy, what you said here just hit me. I don't know who your carrier is, but I have NEVER been "forced" to change plans. The only time I did was when I put my mom on my plan, only because my original plan was for two phones and she was a third party. Even yesterday, we compared plans and the new plan was actually a better deal than I already had, BUT ... the decision was still mine as to whether or not I changed. The only stipulation I've ever been given through the years is that I'd have a 2-year contract to fulfill in order to pay for the "free" phones. Considering I've been with the same carrier for 28 years, the thought of being tied to a 2-year contract doesn't really bother me. Besides, even if I wanted to upgrade earlier, there'd be no penalty as long as I stay with the same carrier. What I'm saying is, are you SURE you'd lose the old plan? I've always had the option to keep whatever existing plan I had, other than the above scenario.

Captain
12-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Very positive. 1000% sure.
I am with verizon. Before that I was with Alltel. That's where we got in the totally unlimited everything plan. When Verzion bought Alltel they had to grandfather those plans.
For many years Verizon wants those plans gone. They offer similar plans but throttle back after so many gigs.
Without doubt I could take the "free" phone and switch to one of their liberal plans and probably come out better just paying overage. But that's an argument I've had with the secretary of finance and war several times and she wants to keep The old plan. So I buy new iPhones every couple of years. And end up with a drawer full of old phones. And yes we still have the original boxes, paperwork for all of them etc...

Arty
12-23-2016, 12:58 AM
I buy new iPhones every couple of years. And end up with a drawer full of old phones. And yes we still have the original boxes, paperwork for all of them etc...

Has the secretary of finance and war ever heard of eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
12-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Ha! Maybe not Arty, but I KNOW for a fact she's heard of the Ol' Thump! Maybe I'll text her on her new iPhone 7 and have her mail that drawer full of old phones to me. Heck, I could retire on those sales!

Yep Cappy, I started out with GTE in '89, they sold to Alltel and then they sold to Verizon! (I don't think I left anybody out) I had the old, old, old "everything was free with the price of admission" plan! ;)

I really f'd myself when I put Mom on my "friends & family" plan because the old plan only covered two phones. Dangit! They finally got me! :(

STILL .... you have a small fortune of old phones sitting there and they're doing nothing but depreciating.