PDA

View Full Version : Ha ha ha! WTF??

Thumper
12-22-2016, 02:23 PM
I had to take a package to the Post Office today and as I was just leaving the counter, the clerk who'd waited on me looked at the customer standing at the next window. He then said, "Aren't you the guy who mailed the bees yesterday?"

The guy said, "Yeah".

The clerk then said, "Well, they got out!!!"

The guy asked, "How many?"

The clerk said, "Heck, I don't know ... a BUNCH! In fact, he got stung!" (as he pointed to another clerk at the counter)

I don't know what happened next as I headed on out the door. Ha! I assume they went ahead and shipped the package. (???) I wonder how many bees the recipient will have left? Or how many other postal workers will have to deal with bees escaping? Now I kind'a wish I'd stayed for the rest of the conversation. Maybe they just taped up the escape hole and shipped it. I dunno.

Bees??? I never thought about people mailing them via USPS. Learn sumpin' new every day! :D

LJ3
12-22-2016, 02:46 PM
I shot a wedding that had a butterfly release this summer. They ship the butterflies in little envelopes all folded up, open the envelope and bam! out pops a monarch and it flies off. Weird shit, maynard!

Captain
12-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Hell you could (and maybe still can) order them from sears. They come in the mail. We use to order them when I was a kid. My grandad had a bunch of hives.

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2016, 03:08 PM
I had no idea you could ship bees.
Lands sakes alive.

BKB

Big Muddy
12-22-2016, 03:50 PM
I've got an apiarist buddy from Yazoo City, who has a few hives scattered around my farm....I remember him saying he has lots of bees shipped to him from Calif.

Matter of fact, he's gonna install 5 hives for me, right behind my house, next spring....I'm gonna care them, myself, just as a small hobby project....I think he said I could expect about 300 lbs. of honey from them, if I did even a half-azzed job of caring for them.

Captain
12-22-2016, 03:52 PM
I had no idea you could ship bees.
Lands sakes alive.
BKB

You have lived a sheltered life...

Big Muddy
12-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Yep, and baby chicks are shipped, all the time....our rural mail carrier despises the little shitty bastages.

DeputyDog
12-22-2016, 05:13 PM
I had a cousin who was a beekeeper. He routinely sent and received bees in the mail. My uncle was the postmaster and said that they would regularly fly in and out of the packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nandy
12-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Bees, that's nothing, early 1900 you could attach postage to your kid and send it via mail to visit grandma...

Thumper
12-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Thump story:

I grew up with a kid who was dirt poor. I'm not sure if he ever even knew his dad, but he lived with his mom and 2-3 younger siblings. He was a super nice kid and one time my brother and I built a bicycle out of old parts and gave it to him as he had no bike. I remember he lived in an area called Reeves Terrace, but I just figured it was a subdivision. I later found out it was "The Projects" back in those days. My brother and I really liked the guy (name was Grant), but he didn't have much time to play as he always said he needed to get home to do some chores and help his mom take care of his brothers and sisters, etc.

When we were in Jr. High School, some guy who had a couple of bee hives (as a hobby) was moving out of town and couldn't take his bees with him. Grant showed an interest, so the guy gave him his hives. From that day forward, Grant was totally engrossed in those bees. Every day he'd hit the library to read every book he could find on beekeeping. We didn't really see much of him after that, except during school hours.

In 1967, we moved away from Orlando and I didn't return until 10 years later. One of my buddies came by the house and I asked if he knew whatever happened to old Grant. It's then I found out he grew his beekeeping hobby into a honey producing business. He contracted with Sue Bee Honey and ended up being a major player in the business. The last I heard, he built a house in Orlando for himself, plus one for his mother. He also had a house up north (Wisconsin I think?) where he stayed during the summers. I was told he had a fleet of trucks and would spend his winters in Florida leasing his bees to citrus growers, then in the spring, he'd truck all his hives up north for the summer (clover honey). Supposedly he became a millionaire after starting with a couple hives given to him as a kid.

And THAT ... is my favorite rags-to-riches story. He was a SUPER nice kid who grew up in what would be considered Orlando's "ghetto" and made something of himself. He deserved every bit of it IMHO. :thumbsup

Edit: Well what'a ya' know? I just Googled Reeves Terrace and the place actually still exists! It's listed under "Florida Low Income Housing". Dang, that place has been there forever! Interesting.

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=640x400&location=28.5403118,-81.3592686&fov=90&heading=235&pitch=10

Captain
12-22-2016, 08:01 PM
You NEED to google Grant and go look him up, he might finally pay you for the bicycle. Dumbass. ;)

Thumper
12-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Ha ha ha! Good point Cappy! TBH, for the life of me, I can't remember his last name due to CRS Disease. My buddy whom I mentioned above is dead now (got run over by a car while riding a bike). On Christmas, I'll be talking to my brother (who lives in California), so if I remember, I'll ask him what Grant's last name is. I'm sure he'll remember.

Big Muddy
12-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Good story, Thump....I always pull for a deserving underdog.

Arty
12-23-2016, 12:40 AM
That's a cool story thump. No one gets to pick the bed they sleep in, but everyone gets to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk