PDA

View Full Version : Ok iPhone techies ...

Thumper
12-27-2016, 09:47 PM
I just upgraded from an iPhone 6-Plus to an iPhone 7-Plus. I saved everything to "the cloud" and spent something silly like 20 frigging hours transferring everything from the 6 to the 7.

BUT ... my text messages did not transfer. I hit my old buddy Google and it appears that's just how these things work. WTF??? I see a few programs you can plop $30 or so down to buy a program to do it, but that sounds stupid to me, Surely Apple didn't "f"-up and not afford a way to do this, so I hope there's a way to transfer text messages! I want to get this done so I can wipe my old phone clean and sell it, but right now I'm on hold until I can figure this out. I have some important texts (a ton of 'em) that I need to save as they could be needed in a (possible) future lawsuit. If I could simply print them, I wouldn't necessarily need to transfer them to my new phone. I could do screen shots and email them to myself, then print them, but that would be super time consuming. Anyone?

Arty
12-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Not sure this will work. But worth a try.

Let's say you want to pull up text history between me and you. But you don't have the conversation saved

Go like you sending a "new" text to me. Send me something. See if that doesn't them backload previous texts between us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
12-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Not sure that'll work but worth a try

BarryBobPosthole
12-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Here's a link that miight help.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-save-text-messages/

Arty
12-27-2016, 10:28 PM
I have some important texts (a ton of 'em) that I need to save as they could be needed in a (possible) future lawsuit. ?

You texting Thai women with Adam's apples again???

BarryBobPosthole
12-27-2016, 11:06 PM
His pussy doctor's number is in there probably. All the new cats get a checkup.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-28-2016, 08:37 AM
If you spent 20 hours, you're definitely doing something wrong. It doesn't take more than an hour for my Mrs. to do mine.

Captain
12-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Everything I had in my iPhone 5 was on the cloud. I bought a 7 plus and it took MAYBE 20 or 25 minutes to load everything from the cloud to my new phone. Pictures, movies, music, text, voice mails etc...
You need to get some help. Wonder if Bwana's sister does iPhones???

Arty
12-28-2016, 09:04 AM
. It doesn't take more than an hour for my Mrs. to do mine.

If you had as many cat pictures on the cloud as Jimmy does, it'd take a lot longer.

Captain
12-28-2016, 09:05 AM
If you had as many cat pictures on the cloud as Jimmy does, it'd take a lot longer.

Good point

Thumper
12-28-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm on an old DSL wi-fi system which I've had since dial-up fell by the wayside. That probably has a lot to do with it. The gal who sold me the phone (who works for Verizon) said it took hers 24 hours to transfer. That was as I was purchasing the phone, before I did it myself. I didn't ask what type of service she was using.

But, that's all behind me. My issue is transferring TEXTS. The iPhone doesn't seem to do that. It also doesn't appear to support transferring texts to a wireless printer. I NEED copies (or transfers to my new phone) of these texts before wiping my old phone clean.

Thumper
12-28-2016, 09:59 AM
BTW, Arty, I think you may have been sipping a bit of Cappy's cherry juice when you posted your suggestion above. I'm not persactly sure WTF you said! ;)

Arty
12-28-2016, 10:15 AM
It's worked for me before. But not on deleted texts, just old texts that were no longer in my history but still my phone

Thumper
12-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Not sure this will work. But worth a try.

Let's say you want to pull up text history between me and you. But you don't have the conversation saved

Go like you sending a "new" text to me. Send me something. See if that doesn't them backload previous texts between us.

Ummm, this is what I was referring to. I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. I "think" you're suggesting I send you a text and .... well, I guess you lost me there. :confused:

Thumper
12-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Ok, I think I see what you're saying. No, that doesn't work. The reason I know is, I deleted all unneeded texts from my old phone (only saved the important ones) before I attempted the transfer. After the transfer, there were no texts at all on my new phone. The only texts on my new phone now are from any texts (sent or received) since I started using the new phone. Take Lynn for example, we text many times daily. The only texts that show from her are the ones she's sent in the last few days.

BarryBobPosthole
12-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Did you try the link I had in my post?

BKB

Thumper
12-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Did you try the link I had in my post? BKB

Oooops! Sorry P-hole, I was searching around. Actually, I'm downloading iTunes as we speak. Maybe I can use their 3 mo. trial to do this, then cancel.

Arty
12-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Ok, I think I see what you're saying. No, that doesn't work. The reason I know is, I deleted all unneeded texts from my old phone (only saved the important ones) before I attempted the transfer. After the transfer, there were no texts at all on my new phone. The only texts on my new phone now are from any texts (sent or received) since I started using the new phone. Take Lynn for example, we text many times daily. The only texts that show from her are the ones she's sent in the last few days.

Yes that's what I meant. Didn't guarantee you it would work. :)

Thumper
12-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Did you try the link I had in my post? BKB

Well crap! It was just a teaser. I downloaded iExplorer and ran a back-up from my old phone. (it only took about a minute) Then I signed up for the 90-day trial. I opened the app and all my data was there, including my text messages. BUT ... when I tried to transfer, print or save them to a file ... IE wanted $40.00! I guess the "free" trial is just a teaser to show you what you COULD have. Dang! There has to be an easier way than to pay $40 just for a few text messages!

Back to point A .... :(

Captain
12-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Ah, sell a razor and give them 40 bucks and get it done...
You will spend that 40 bucks 20 times over trying to get it done for free...

Thumper
12-28-2016, 07:21 PM
Can I borrow $40? I'll gladly repay you on Tuesday. ;)

http://joe-carey.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Wimpy.jpg

LJ3
12-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Why TF would you want to transfer text messages? They're supposed to be temporary, disposable, quick messages. Not emails. You've been living in the sun too long. It's affecting your brain. I still love you, though.

Thumper
12-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Let's just say there was a long back and forth text conversation between friends. Things went sour and there could possibly be a future lawsuit. I NEED those messages to verify what was said in those conversations.

I really think Apple sucks big weenies with their lack of text transfer from one Apple product to another. Phone to phone should NOT be that difficult. All my emails, photos, videos and apps were a piece of cake. I have no clue why they exclude text messages with their change-over. MANY people text with business clients ... those texts can be important to some working stiff ... especially if needed for legal proceedings. It's just plain stupid that they can't be transferred through normal procedures.

airbud7
12-28-2016, 08:20 PM
connect iPhone 6 to home wifi/ send old text to your email or new iPhone 7......

Captain
12-28-2016, 08:25 PM
connect iPhone 6 to home wifi/ send old text to your email or new iPhone 7......

That's too easy AirBud.... if he does that he will have nothing to complain about.

Thumper
12-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Airbud ...That's how I transferred all my data, photos, apps, etc. TEXT MESSAGES do not transfer.

Do a Google search ... you'll see a bazillion complaints. I have no clue why Apple sets it up this way.

airbud7
12-28-2016, 08:43 PM
turn on iPhone 6/ go to text message/ turn on iPhone 7/ aim camara @ iPhone 6/ snap picture/ Go to pictures on iPhone 7.........VALA!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/096/044/trollface.jpg?1296494117

Captain
12-28-2016, 08:45 PM
I have no clue why Apple sets it up this way.
Because text are temporary.... goof.

Captain
12-28-2016, 08:50 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2013/11/backup-sms-iphone/amp/?client=safari

Thumper
12-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Because text are temporary.... goof.

Why? Who makes that determination? If you play around on the web, you'll see that many, MANY people have the same dilemma, most for the same reason as mine. I guess you can put a check-mark on the plus side of the Android column for this one. Their system easily transfers text messages.

Your link didn't tell me anything new and suggests the same program P-hole mentioned ... where they want you to cough up the 40-bucks! Having to pay for some silly bullshit item like this kinda sticks in my craw ... it's the principle of the thing at this point. My last resort is to go down to Verizon, hand both phones to their techies and say, "YOU transfer these MF'ing texts or you can kiss my rosy red ass!" (I'll let you know how that works out) ;)

airbud7
12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
My last resort is to go down to Verizon, hand both phones to their techies and say, "YOU transfer these MF'ing texts or you can kiss my rosy red ass!" (I'll let you know how that works out) ;)

You go Trump/ ..........I mean Thump :)

Chicken Dinner
12-28-2016, 10:06 PM
$40 seems like cheap insurance from a lawsuit. Of course, I'm on the record that this is my last iPhone as I'm over apples BS.

Thumper
12-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Actually, I'm the one who would be initiating the lawsuit if it ever gets to that point. I just need those texts for evidence. Long story

LJ3
12-29-2016, 12:34 AM
You can save that specific text message. Tap and gold the text window and you'll see options for copying and pasting the whole thing. Text messages are way too easy to fake. You can't use them as evidence. It's a different technology,
It's mde to be very temporary.
That's why they don't transfer. If it's really important you could call Verizon and see why your options are.

Thumper
12-29-2016, 06:55 AM
It's a very long string of texts. One by one would be very time consuming. As for legal evidence, text messages are an extremely common source of evidence, especially since they include name, date and time stamps.

BarryBobPosthole
12-29-2016, 10:06 AM
I'll bet you never expected this level of expert assistance when you asked the question.

Can you not do screenshots? That might be the only way.

BKB

Thumper
12-29-2016, 12:28 PM
That's persactly what I'm thinking of doing Postie. I'll check with the Verizon techs first. I've been a customer of "theirs" for over 27 years, so I'd sure think they might offer some help ... IF they can.

LJ3
12-30-2016, 02:52 AM
Go to the text thread. Hold your finger on one of the texts. After a second a "copy" and "more" option will appear. Select "more". Then you can select all the messages in the thread and paste them to an email. Date time stamps come across as well.

Captain
12-30-2016, 05:40 AM
It's been my experience that time stamp does not show up on a screenshot, but it will doing it as LJ describes (copy and forward as email)

LJ3
12-30-2016, 07:50 AM
What I wanna know is WHY jimmy is a hell bent on saving a Text thread. My guess is less to do with suing someone and moreto do with Thai man/boy dicksizes. :)

Thumper
12-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Thanks Ticboy, I'll try that.

And BITE ME! :)

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Go to the text thread. Hold your finger on one of the texts. After a second a "copy" and "more" option will appear. Select "more". Then you can select all the messages in the thread and paste them to an email. Date time stamps come across as well.

You forgot the part about writing one word that describes his inner fucking beauty before all that holding your finger down crap.

BKB

Thumper
12-30-2016, 11:26 AM
You forgot the part about writing one word that describes his inner fucking beauty before all that holding your finger down crap. BKB

Huh? You lost me there. Did you wake up on the curmudgeon side of the bed this morning? :confused:

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2016, 11:31 AM
Me? Curmudgeonly? I'm just being my usual peachy CURRENT self.

BKb

Thumper
12-30-2016, 11:36 AM
You need to go back to work. This retirement gig ain't workin' out. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2016, 11:52 AM
And on and on ad nauseum on Facebook.

BKB

Fighting!!!! Nasty Cancer!!! Well y'all, I'm gonna say bye-bye to some of you.. Now I'm watching the ones who will have the time to read this post until the end. This is a little test, just to see who reads and who shares without reading! If you have read everything, select "like" so i can put a thank u on ur profile! I know that 97% of you won't broadcast this, but my friends will be the 3% that do.
Please, in honor of someone who died, or is fighting cancer, or even had cancer, copy and paste.
Write "done" in comments when you're finished. I can put a thank u on ur profile! I know that 97% of you won't broadcast this, but my friends will be the 3% that do.
Please, in honor of someone who died, or is fighting cancer, or even had cancer, copy and paste. Write "done" in comments when you're SUPPOSEDLY, if you've seen over 136 films, you have no life. Mark the ones you've seen. There are 252 films on this list. Copy this list, go to your own facebook account, paste this as a status, then put an emoji next to the films you've seen, add them up, post your results. Have fun!

Rocky Horror Picture Show- ��
Grease ��
Pirates of the Caribbean - ��
Boondock Saints -��
Fight Club - ��
Starsky and Hutch - ��
Neverending Story - ��
Blazing Saddles -��
Airplane - ��
The Princess Bride -��
Anchorman - ��
Napoleon Dynamite- ��
Labyrinth - ��
Saw - ��
Saw II - ��
Saw III - ��
Saw IV -
Saw V -
White Noise -
White Oleander -
Anger Management - ��
50 First Dates- ��
The Princess Diaries – ��
The Princess Diaries 2 -��
Scream - ��
Scream 2 - ��
Scream 3 - ��
Scary Movie - ��
Scary Movie 2 - ��
Scary Movie 3 - ��
Scary Movie 4 -
American Pie - ��
American Pie 2 - ��
American Wedding - ��
American Pie Band Camp -
Harry Potter - ��
Harry Potter 2 - ��
Harry Potter 3 - ��
Harry Potter 4- ��
Resident Evil 1 - ��
Resident Evil 2 - ��
The Wedding Singer - ��
Little Black Book - ��
The Village -
Lilo & Stitch - ��
Finding Neverland- ��
The Grinch - ��
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - ��
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning -
White Chicks - ��
Butterfly Effect - ��
13 Going on 30 - ��
I Robot -��
Robots - ��
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story -��
Universal Soldier - ��
Lemony Snicket: A Series Of Unfortunate Events - ��
Signs- ��
Along Came Polly - ��
Deep Impact -��
Kingpin - ��
Never Been Kissed - ��
Meet The Parents - ��
Meet the Fockers - ��
Eight Crazy Nights - ��
Joe Dirt - ��
KING KONG - ��
A Cinderella Story - ��
The Terminal -
The Lizzie McGuire Movie - ��
Passport to Paris -
Dumb & Dumber - ��
Dumber & Dumber 2 - ��
Final Destination - ��
Final Destination 2 -
Final Destination 3 -
Halloween - ��
The Ring -
The Ring 2 -
Surviving Christmas -
Flubber- ��
Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle - ��
Practical Magic - ��
Chicago -
Ghost Ship -
From Hell -
Hellboy - ��
Secret Window - ��
I Am Sam -
The Whole Nine Yards - ��
The Whole Ten Yards -��
The Day After Tomorrow - ��
Child's Play - ��
Seed of Chucky - ��
Bride of Chucky - ��
Ten Things I Hate About You-��
Just Married -
Gothika - ��
Nightmare on Elm Street - ��
Sixteen Candles - ��
Remember the Titans - ��
Coach Carter - ��
The Grudge -
The Mask - ��
Son Of The Mask - ��
Bad Boys - ��
Bad Boys 2 - ��
Joy Ride -
Lucky Number Seven - ��
Ocean's Eleven - ��
Ocean's Twelve - ��
Bourne Identity - ��
Bourne Supremacy - ��
Lone Star -
Bedazzled - ��
Predator I -��
Predator II - ��
The Fog - ��
Ice Age - ��
Ice Age 2: the Meltdown - ��
Curious George - ��
Independence Day - ��
Cujo - ��
A Bronx Tale- ��
Darkness Falls - ��
Christine - ��
ET - ��
Children of the Corn - ��
My Boss’s Daughter -
Maid in Manhattan - ��
War of the Worlds - ��
Rush Hour - ��
Rush Hour 2 - ��
Best Bet -
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days - ��
She's All That - ��
Calendar Girls - ��
Sideways -
Mars Attacks - ��
Event Horizon - ��
Ever After - ��
Wizard of Oz - ��
Forrest Gump - ��
Big Trouble in Little China -��
The Terminator - ��
The Terminator 2 - ��
The Terminator 3 - ��
X-Men - ��
X-2 - ��
X-3 - ��
Spider-Man - ��
Spider-Man 2 - ��
Sky High - ��
Jeepers Creepers - ��
Jeepers Creepers 2 - ��
Catch Me If You Can - ��
The Little Mermaid - ��
Freaky Friday - ��
Reign of Fire - ��
The Skulls - ��
Cruel Intentions - ��
Cruel Intentions 2 -
The Hot Chick - ��
Shrek - ��
Shrek 2 - ��
Monster Inc - ��
Swimfan - ��
Miracle on 34th Street - ��
Old School - ��
The Notebook - ��
K-Pax -��
Krippendorf's Tribe -
A Walk to Remember - ��
Ice Castles -
Boogeyman -
The 40-year-old Virgin - ��
Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring - ��
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers - ��
Lord of the Rings Return Of the King - ��
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the
Lost Ark - ��
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - ��
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - ��
Baseketball Diaries -��
Hostel - ��
Waiting for Guffman -
House of 1000 Corpses -
Devils Rejects -
Elf - ��
Highlander - ��
Mothman Prophecies - ��
American History -��
Three -m
The Jacket -
Kung Fu Hustle - ��
Shaolin Soccer -��
Night Watch -
Titanic - ��
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - ��
Shaun Of the Dead - ��
Willard -
High Tension -
Club Dread -
Hulk - ��
Dawn Of the Dead - ��
Hook - ��
Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - ��
28 days later - ��
Orgazmo -
Phantasm - ��
Waterworld - ��
Kill Bill vol 1 - ��
Kill Bill vol 2 - ��
Mortal Kombat -��
Wolf Creek -
Kingdom of Heaven -
The Hills Have Eyes -
I Spit on Your Grave -
The Last House on the Left -
Re-Animator -
Army of Darkness - ��
Star Wars Ep. I The Phantom Menace - ��
Star Wars Ep. II Attack of the Clones - ��
Star Wars Ep. III Revenge of the Sith - ��
Star Wars Ep. IV A New Hope - ��
Star Wars Ep. V The Empire Strikes Back - ��
Star Wars Ep. VI Return of the Jedi - ��
Ewoks Caravan Of Courage -
Ewoks The Battle For Endor -
The Matrix - ��
The Matrix Reloaded - ��
The Matrix Animatrix - ��
Evil Dead - ��
Evil Dead 2 - ��
Team America: World Police - ��
Red Dragon -
The Breakfast Club - ��
Fast times at Ridgemont High - ��
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - ��
Grown Ups - ��
Grown Ups 2 – ��
Dazed and Confused - ��
Ridiculous 6 - ��
Pretty in Pink - ��
The Tooth Fairy - ��
Polar Express - ��
XMen Apocalypse - ��
Fantastic Four - ��
The Leprechaun -��
Mad Money -��

200 either I have no life or just like movies

LJ3
12-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Huh? You lost me there. Did you wake up on the curmudgeon side of the bed this morning? :confused:

He's mocking the profoundly dumb shit that seems more prevalent on Facebook these days.

Thumper
12-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Oh. I guess I don't spend enough time on FB. I thought he had a burr up his ass. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
I thought it might have been a burr but it was a remnant of a jalapeņo pepper.

BKB

quercus alba
12-30-2016, 02:24 PM
i've seen 48 of those movies or part of them anyway

airbud7
12-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Oh. I guess I don't spend enough time on FB. ;)

http://images2.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED15/4fd28e709aad2.jpeg