PDA

View Full Version : Shit! I guess I'm a certified nut-bag now.

Thumper
01-04-2017, 01:07 PM
First off ... I never applied, complained or even mentioned any problems along this line. It's like my Agent Orange exposure. I knew I wallowed in that stuff for 3+ years, but I never tried to pin any medical problems on it. A few years ago, the VA called and wanted me to come in for testing and I'm now on the official A/O Registry. I hear complaints about the VA constantly, but I honestly don't get it. They have bent over backwards to "take care" of me.

Now it's the PTSD thing. I always figured there are far too many vets who experienced way more traumatic experiences than I did during 'Nam and never thought my "problems" were worthy of possibly taking treatment resources away from some of those who are much more in need. One thing I found out over the past few months is, that exact feeling is one sign of PTSD! WTF? Heck, I had an appointment for something totally different ... can't even remember what it was now, but the doc I was talking to asked a couple of questions. All of a sudden I broke down and cried like a baby right there in her office! She was sharp and knew exactly what she was doing. That started the ball rolling I suppose. Anyway, I've been poked, prodded, given CT Scans, questioned, analysed and studied by a panel of shrinks over the past few months and always tried to "play it down". I guess the experts saw through my charade and I've been officially declared a crazy m/f'er by a unanimous decision. This sucks ... I think ... or maybe not ... hell, I don't know. Anyway, I've been entered into a program for being a psycho-lunatic. I have no clue what I'm in for, but maybe I'll be able to get a few things off my chest that I've never discussed with ANYBODY before. Kinda reminds me of Cappy's post the other day about taking certain things to your grave with you ... which is exactly what I had planned. Now I feel like a pussy for breaking down. But, I later found out that is ALSO a sign of PTSD. I can't win. :(

Just received this yesterday.

Thumper
01-04-2017, 01:09 PM
P.S. DON'T FUCK WITH ME!!!! :AR

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Jim, after what you've been through with your health I can only imagine that that would cause some of that shit.

But no, you ain't crazy. This is just something else to deal with and you're smart enough to do what you have to do to beat the shit out of it. I'll tell you what though. I'd get a second opinion. This is important stuff. Objective third parties that you trust might be the best advice you can get about something like this.

But no, you might be a dipshit, but youse ain't a crazy dipshit.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2017, 01:48 PM
I don't know P-hole, I suppose I've already had a second opinion in a way. I don't personally know of anyone else in that particular line of medicine. Plus, I figure, who knows more about PTSD than a "military" hospital? I guess they pretty much covered the "second opinion" anyway. I saw two different VA shrinks, a civilian shrink, and another from the University of South Florida (Medical Dep't.) teaching staff. I see them individually, then as a group where they get together and compare notes. It's quite a process and I heard mention of, "classic case" and "textbook case" a dozen times. I pretty much think they dotted their "I's" and crossed their "T's" before making the determination. They even had Lynn come in for interviews a few times to see what her experiences have been while living with me all these years. (I guess they figured she'd be a bit more honest with her answers than I would be ... since I was constantly trying to downplay the whole thing)

I'm just gonna roll with it and see where it takes me. The orientation is on the 19th, the day after my 65th birthday! I guess then I'll find out what I'm in for. I'm pretty much clueless right now.

Chicken Dinner
01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Just don't admit to having or trying to buy any more guns now that you're officially bat-shit crazy...

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Just tell them your name is Larke Plyler.

Worked for me.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2017, 02:48 PM
You guys read my mind. ;)

Chicken Dinner
01-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Does that make us nut jobs, too? :D

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Is a nut job anythjing like a hand job or a blow job?

I mean, they're all jobs right? And it does sound like something Thumper picked up in Thailand.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2017, 04:21 PM
I'm gonna get myself a rubber stamp that says, "Bite Me". That way, I could save myself a TON of typing around this joint!

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Well, technically you said nut BAG and CD made it nut JOB.

Those are two different things in my book.

Words be impotent ya know.

BKB

Captain
01-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Just tell them your name is Larke Plyler.

Worked for me.

BKB
HEY!!!!
They would know it was a lie. He ain't pretty enough.

Captain
01-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Posthole and Thumper.

Thumper
01-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Maybe so, I'd be the one on the left. ;)

LJ3
01-04-2017, 04:45 PM
The crazy ones are always the last to find out they're crazy jimmy. That's just how it works.

Chicken Dinner
01-04-2017, 05:35 PM
True! You can't really be crazy if you're lucid enough to think you might be crazy. Amiright?

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2017, 05:43 PM
I thought the albanian clap was kind of crazy. That's just MHO.

BKB

Thumper
01-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Where's that stamp?? :banghead

HideHunter
01-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Buddy of mine just went through some of the same thing.. He does have problems with alcohol though he doesn't admit it - and, is fully "functioning" (as they say). He was called in for interviews and talked to three people. Every one asked if he had guns. When he answered - yes.. All three "strongly" recommended he get rid of them.. Ain't gonna happen, in fact he has his CCW and carries daily. I'm kind of thinking (wondering if) there may be another "shoe to drop" (on the VA's part) eventually..

Arty
01-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Buddy of mine just went through some of the same thing.. He does have problems with alcohol though he doesn't admit it - and, is fully "functioning" (as they say). He was called in for interviews and talked to three people. Every one asked if he had guns. When he answered - yes.. All three "strongly" recommended he get rid of them.. Ain't gonna happen, in fact he has his CCW and carries daily. I'm kind of thinking (wondering if) there may be another "shoe to drop" (on the VA's part) eventually..

That sounds like a late night anonymous "welfare check" waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FooBang
01-18-2017, 10:24 PM
I'll just leave this here:

“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

Thumper
01-18-2017, 11:51 PM
That made my brain hurt. ;)

Big Skyz
01-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Sounds to me Jim like you've discovered you are just as human as the rest of us. I think just about everyone on the planet is crazy some just more than others. If you want to make yourself feel better just watch how the liberal-democrats act tomorrow. You'll suddenly realize you are a long ways from being certifiable.

Thumper
01-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Ain't that the truth! Funny story. The last appointment I had was with a female shrink. Lynn always goes with me because I keep downplaying the symptoms, but she sets them straight. They'll actually ask her most of the questions and I just sit there! Anyway, the shrink had been talking to me, but it was obvious I was minimizing the whole ordeal. Then she started asking Lynn what was REALLY going on. As they talked, I suddenly started screaming that they were conspiring against me, that THEY are the one's who are crazy as shit-house rats and I was the only normal one in the room!

Ha ha ha! The doc's eyes got as big as saucers and she rolled her office chair up against the wall (as far as she could move away). I glanced at Lynn and could tell she was totally confused. Then I busted out laughing and said, "Just kidding"! I swear that shrink would have bailed out of the window if there'd been one in the room. She thought I was getting ready to go postal! (I'm not really sure how that will affect my evaluation, but at least we all got a good laugh out of it) :biggrin

Bwana
01-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Funny story Jim. Though never quite as dramatic as that, I have learned that not all folks, especially doctors, have the same sense of humor that I do. I've learned to temper my comments a bit more these days.