PDA

View Full Version : Its Chili Weather

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2017, 04:01 PM
A Thump Story: Back around 1991 I got asked to work on some affinity projects for the company I was working for. The main one was a deal with the US Tennis Association. We paid like a gozillion dollars to be a sponser of the US Open ( I got center court front row seat to the whole tournament if I wanted them) and they signed up their members to use our long distance service. Remember, this was before long distance was basically free. So their members got cut rate ld service, the USTA got a gozillion dollars, and we got a shit ton of new customers. There was a lot more to it than that but that was the gist. So anyway, we got several inquiries about our deal with USTA and one of them was a company in Hunt Valley Maryland called PHH. They do fleet leasing and related stuff.
At our first meeting, I noticed the guy had a foam brick of chili on his desk and one conversation led to another and come to find out he was the recent winner if the Texas State Men's Chili Cookoff, one of the first non-Texans to win it. He had incorporated in a little town called Texas, MAryland so he could brand his chili as 'Texas Style' (no shit) and within a year he had 'retired' from PHH and was in the chili bidness. His company took off and his stuff was even in grocery stores out here in Oklahoma. I kept up with the guy, had him out to the US Open GOLF tournament when it was in Tulsa and have bought cases of his chili mix over the years directly from him.
He retired in the early 2000's and I lost my chiuli mix connection. A month or so ago, I did a search and found that a lady had bought his company and was reformulating a lot of his recipes. His jerky making spices are the very best you'll ever use. I spoke to her over email and she expects to have it reformulted and packaged this month.

So all of that to say, if you're looking for a bowl of awesome red, try ordering some Gunpowder Foods Chili Makin's from this place http://mildbillsspices.com/products/gunpowder-foods-chili-mix

Its dad gumn awesome. I never did find old Bruce Pinnell. I guess maybe he may have passed or is in really deep retirement. Can't imagine that though. Last I talked with him, he'd moved on fromo chili and ws doing bbq cookoff contests.

BKB

Arty
01-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't you know it...I'll be drivin' my PHH owned vehicle home from work tonight to make a big batch of deer chili for dinner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
01-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Might just have to give this a try. I do love chili.

Thumper
01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
I have an old Army buddy who lives in Northern California and we've stayed in touch all these years. He enters chili cook-offs on the west coast and has quite a few trophies. Every time I tell him I'm running low of his chili mix, he sends me a new batch. He doesn't sell commercially, just hand mixes batches for family and friends.

LJ3
01-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Wow... So I bought his chili makins a lot longer ago than I thought. I still have enough for a few more batches this year. Honestly, though. Most people prefer mu own. His is good, and easy to make but nuttin special, IMHO. He's using all the same spices everyone else does.

quercus alba
01-05-2017, 05:38 PM
My son gave me a sauce called gunpowder for Christmas. Says it goes good on everything. Probably the same company

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Wow... So I bought his chili makins a lot longer ago than I thought. I still have enough for a few more batches this year. Honestly, though. Most people prefer mu own. His is good, and easy to make but nuttin special, IMHO. He's using all the same spices everyone else does.

He's the one that taught me to boil the meat in water instead of browning it by frying it. And then add high quality crushed tomatoes (cento is one of the best) and basically cook it like a nice stew for about an hour or so. Then lastly add the chili makings once the meat is nice and tender.

I've started using ground turkey in all my chili. I think turkey takes the spices much better than cow.

BKb

LJ3
01-05-2017, 06:07 PM
That's basically the process for Cincy chili which is pure herecy and debbilspeak where he pretends to come from. I'm getting confused :) Gonna have to make some to get things straight up my my haid.

Chicken Dinner
01-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Boiled meat? Dude, I don't think I can even know you any more...

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2017, 08:02 PM
I guess you don't eat stew?

BKb

Arty
01-05-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm with Len.... I'm standing here trying to figure all this out.
So boil the meat in the beer?
Then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/94734ac405328bfece32a3f916c1f90b.jpg

Trav
01-05-2017, 10:18 PM
I boil mine in beer instead of water.

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2017, 11:01 PM
I used to use beer in mine back when I thought I had to have a gimmick to make great chili.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Stew is not boiled meat. At least not any way I've ever made it. I stole this pic, but this is how I want to do my next batch of chili.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/01d78a73bafa5bfa2cdff7d535b9551c.jpg