PDA

View Full Version : A Government Road

BarryBobPosthole
01-06-2017, 04:56 PM
So Larke, and any other of you that likes traditional music, this album is a good one. Woody Guthrie left behind lyrics to like 3000 songs that he never put music to. His daughter gave Del McCoury permission to put some to music and this record is the result. Some good stuff on here and IMO old Woody was a genius in his art. Enjoy it if you like this kind of music. Government Road is one of my favorite cuts so far.

BKB

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_sqKEN99tuJUA7wewCrDtcXwDb9bulFt

Captain
01-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Man that is good stuff Posty. I'll take the time to listen to them all but I really like "wimmens hats".
I like the line I can't tell if she coming in or going out.

airbud7
01-06-2017, 08:51 PM
yeehaw/ yea that is good stuff Barry

Arty
01-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Government road reminds me of the beginning of "oh brother where art thou" for some reason. Where the chain gang is breaking up rocks into gravel for a road.
It also reminds me of my grandpa, who'd be 92 today if he was alive. When he'd pick me up and take me down Dixie Highway between Louisville and Ft Knox. He always told me "the road we are driving on was an old buffalo trail that followed the Ohio River". The river, for a long stretch, runs parallel to Dixie Highway. I'll never forget how he'd bring that up just a few minutes before we got to Cherokee Park, where he always had a cool Indian Story.
Maybe that's why I've always loved arrowhead and Indian stuff.
Or maybe that's because my grandma (on the other side of the family) was supposedly 75% Cherokee.

And all that reminds me of two more things.
1) I need to do that ancestry.com DNA test.
2) I may need to warm up some chili with those free holy negro beans. It's cold and snowy out, and I'm feeling a might peckish

Captain
01-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Cool stuff there Arty

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Here's a hitch that really bugs me about the ancestry.com dna deal. You have to sogn up for a membership whoch doesn't cost much but still......and the test take 6-8 weeks to 'process' so you are going to pay for a couple months whether you use their other products or not.
I sent mine in Dec 15 but don't have results back yet. All I've gotten back so far is a bunch of spam email from ancestry.com trying to get me to do a bunch of stuff on their geneology site. I ain't interested in that.
i just want to know how much of me is Arkansas leghound and how direct my lineage is to
alexander the great fer fucks sake.

BKB

airbud7
01-07-2017, 09:45 AM
I sent mine in Dec 15 but don't have results back yet.

Thats because they are staring at the results saying....>WTF!

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2017, 09:51 AM
They'll probably put me in some select breeding program.

BKB

Arty
01-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Thats because they are staring at the results saying....>WTF!

Bam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Muddy
01-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Since you mentioned music....I was channel-surfing last night, and landed on PBS....Music City Roots had a guy named Guthrie Trapp burning up a guitar with Jimmy Hall on harmonica....good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKDX8bO-4U

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2017, 11:52 AM
I'll give him a listen. Nashville session players like that are some awesome musicians typically.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Someone commented that Trapp was playing an old Kalamazoo Gibson on that set.

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2017, 12:19 PM
I've never really liked Gibson guitars (with the notable exception of the Les Paul). Their acoustics are just too damned hard to play. Not familiar with the Kalamazoo models. Are they made for great big Michiganders with giant hands? That's what their other acoustics seem to be made for.

BKB

Big Muddy
01-07-2017, 02:42 PM
No idea....I'm not geetar smart, but I do know good blues, when I hear it....and, that Trapp guy can make those strings hum. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Sho nuff can!

BkB