PDA

View Full Version : Bino ?

Trav
01-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I need the expert advice of you dufi, I had a pair of Burris Landmark bino's (8x30) I bought around 12 years ago and towards the end of November they broke (totaly my fault). I sent them in to Burris and was advised it would be 4 weeks or so until they could tell me if they could be repaired or not. I was getting ready to head out to KS for a deer hunt so I had to buy a new pair. With my limited budget I settled on a pair of Nikon Monarch 5's in 10x42's I think I paid $329 for them and I have been pretty happy with them. I just got a letter from Burris and they can't repair my old Landmark bino's and they no longer make bino's. Apparently they are owned by the same company that owns Steiner so they have offered me a a $200.00 credit toward a new pair of Steiners. The issue is since I bought the Nikon's I don't really have the extra $$ laying around to buy new bino's.

So here is the question, is there enough of a difference in quality between say a $300-$500 ($200 Credit + $300 of my own cash) pair of Steiners and the Nikon's to warrant the hassle of trying to sell my Nikon's? If not I am not sure what will become of the $200 credit. I will also say aside from the time it took to get a response I am pretty happy with the Burris customer service, I mean I think I paid $200 for those Landmark's when they were new

So lets hear it. .

Buckrub
01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Leupold Mojave BX-3.

Which one depends on how far you need to see, etc. I have the 10X42's and they are the first non-50's I ever had. I love 'em. They DO get dim right before dark, but probably all binocs do. Handed to several guys at camp and they compared to their Nikons, and these are easily comparable to Swarovski's, honest. Not all Leupolds, I'm not saying that........but the BX-3's are.

Thumper
01-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Uhhhh, Buckster ... I'm not sure you understood the question.

Trav, find someone here who would like a new set of Steiners and sell them the credit for ... say, $75-$100 or so. It would be a win/win for bofa youse! ;)

Buckrub
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
No I didn't, sorry.

I used to say I didn't like Japanese optics. But since, I've found out optics are made either in Asia or Germany, by everyone. None are made in America.

In this case, I do not know the answer and shouldn't have posted. Sorry.

Trav
01-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Bucky,

Thanks for the input, I considered the Mojave's but BPS was out of them when I went there. I looked at the Leupold cascades and thought the Monarch 5's were better. At this point it's really a matter of keeping the Nikon's or selling them to get the Steiner's I don't want to take a loss on 2 used pairs of bino's to switch to a 3rd brand.

jb
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
This fall I bought the same thing as Bucky, Leupold BX-3 Mojave 10x42, needed something a little stronger than my Swarovski 7x42. Not quite the same but darn close. I did look at the Nikon first but got the Leupold through Cabela's and used my points.
I'd be temped to invest in the Steiners then put them for sale (NIB) on a few sites, discount them a little and just about make enough to pay for your Nikons.

BarryBobPosthole
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I have Steiner Predators and love them. I'd take you up on it but I don't really need another pair. I also have a pair of leupold binos that are more compact and better for ball games and stuff. I also like the rubber coating on the Steiners. They've been hauled around a lot in the 15 years or so I've had them and taken a beating.

I'd go Steiner if I was making the investment, but that's just cause I have a pair probably.
BKB