PDA

View Full Version : Screw all this football talk ... how 'bout a little "foodie" post?

Thumper
01-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Lynn surprised me with a short trip to the coast for my birthday (which is actually Wednesday). I had no clue where we were headed, but after a short 30 min. drive, we ended up in a private casita (villa) on the waterfront of Tampa Bay.

8430 8433

Then, for the highlight of the trip, she took me to Bern's Steakhouse that evening which is ranked the No. 2 best steakhouse in the nation! I had a ribeye that had been aged 100 days! It had the texture of filet mignon, but the flavor of a ribeye. Dang it was good ... and cooked perfectly!

The wine list (the abridged table edition) offers 600 different wines, so Lynn went with the waiter's suggestion. She said it was the best wine she's ever tasted in her life! (and she's close to being an official wine connoisseur!) ;)

Bern's has an incredible history and after dinner, we were taken on a private tour of the kitchen ... and then on to the wine cellar. Wow! It's claimed to be the biggest wine cellar in the world and they have over 600,000 bottles of wine stored there (some haven't even been cataloged yet). I asked what they'd do if they had a power failure and I was told they have 5 different cooling systems and back-up generators. He then showed us the unabridged edition of their wine list which weighs over 5 lbs. and is too big to put on each table .... but it's available if you have a few days to read through it! (taking the waiter's wine suggestion was a good idea!)

8434 8450

Then we were shown the secured area of the cellar ... where the super expensive wines are stored. One of the bottles is worth $30,000! I asked why these were all enclosed in plastic bags and was told the labels on the very old bottles had a habit of coming loose and separating from the bottle, so bagging them insures there will be no label mix-ups. Otherwise, they may enter the area and find 50 labels on the floor, but have no idea which belongs to which bottle. The second pic is of 1839 vintage but the oldest here is an 1815 Port. They also have quite a few bottles that are thought to be the last remaining bottle on earth!

8440 8441

We then went upstairs to the restaurant's "dessert room" which was the size of a warehouse! Their dessert room is so popular, you need a reservation just for dessert! Dessert is not served in the dining area, but you're given individual private booths which are made from HUGE old California redwood wine casks. They have a box in each booth to select any genre of music you want to listen to (if wanted), or you can pipe in the live music from the pianist downstairs in the main dining area. There is a phone hookup to make individual requests if desired. For desert, we shared their homemade Macadamia Nut ice cream sundae, then to help with my diet, they brought me a little birthday surprise (which we took back to the room with us).

8442 8453 8451

So, after dinner, we headed back to the casita for a bit of r&r. The next day, we went to a Champagne brunch at Oyster Catchers right on the Bay for an awesome meal as well as another birthday surprise (which we also took to the room with us!)

8446 8454

To walk off our breakfast, we strolled down their (very nice) nature trail to the bay before returning home. It was a fantastic weekend for my 65th!

Thumper
01-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Damn iPhone! I'll get 'em straightened out in a few mins. :pissed

quercus alba
01-16-2017, 01:39 PM
you need a certain someone whose name is not mentioned but her initials are BS (as in Bwana's sister) on speed dial

BarryBobPosthole
01-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Damn. Happy birthday to you and you've got a fine lady there, Jimbo. You're looking pretty good too for an old fart!

Glad you had a good time. I've never been on the 'aged beef' bandwagon. It always tastes a little 'off' to me. Or as my Mom would say, 'its a might high'(meaning smelly). To each their own. I'm sure its my uncultured palette thats the problem!

I don't remember if Bern's was there during my time in Tampa. It was probably too spendy for a GI anyways!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Looks like a good time. Happy early birthday, dufe!

Thumper
01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't remember if Bern's was there during my time in Tampa. It was probably too spendy for a GI anyways! BKB

Yeppers P-hole, it's been there since 1956. I can't stand "off" meat and can pick that up with the first bite. I've never experienced it with quality aged beef though. This meat was to die for.

They do EVERYTHING in house ... they even have a large plot of land close by where they grow all their own vegetables.

Big Muddy
01-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Hahaha....maybe you could start using spellcheck, too....it's dessert, not desert....unless, you're eating your sweets in the Sahara. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist the correction 'cause you woulda jumped anybody else's azz. ;)

Dang, did you drop food all over your shirts???....looks like you changed 'em 3 or 4 times. ;)

Btw, that's a dang nice surprise outing that Lynn organized for ya !!!....Happy 65th !!!!

Thumper
01-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Phew! I finally got the pics straightened out. What a PITA! This place could keep Bwana's sister employed full time! ;)

Big Muddy
01-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Well, okay, I see you corrected one of your "desserts", too. ;)

Thumper
01-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Hahaha....maybe you could start using spellcheck, too....it's dessert, not desert....unless, you're eating your sweets in the Sahara. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist the correction 'cause you woulda jumped anybody else's azz. ;)

Huh? I don't know what you're talking about. ;)

Dang, did you drop food all over your shirts???....looks like you changed 'em 3 or 4 times. ;)

Again, you're losing it. One shirt for dinner and another for brunch. Different lighting I guess. :crazy

Btw, that's a dang nice surprise outing that Lynn organized for ya !!!....Happy 65th !!!!

Yep, I had no clue. She done good. ;)

Thumper
01-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Well, okay, I see you corrected one of your "desserts", too. ;)

What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis? :biggrin

BarryBobPosthole
01-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Speaking of shirts, with a melon that big how the hell do you ever get a pullover or a sweatshirt off? Do your ears fold like the mirrors on my truck?
BKB

Arty
01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
How does someone as fugly as you get as lucky as you are? It ain't clean living... This I know.

Thumper
01-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Here ... I gots sumpin' for youse dufes!

https://a.1stdibscdn.com/archivesE/upload/7971/27_13/833147/833147_l.jpg

LJ3
01-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Speaking of shirts, with a melon that big how the hell do you ever get a pullover or a sweatshirt off? Do your ears fold like the mirrors on my truck?
BKB

I just spit water on my keyboard. Nice noticin', right therre!

Happy birthday Jimmy! I'd love to have a bite of that ribeye!

You don't deserve Lynn.

Thumper
01-16-2017, 02:53 PM
You should be warming up for yours in a few days there Ticboy! ;)

Captain
01-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Happy birthday there Thump-head. That sounds like a great trip. Good to see you sticking to your New Years diet. :D

Arty
01-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Is it me, or is his nose bigger than his face?

Captain
01-16-2017, 09:27 PM
If he had that nose full of nickels he could pay for the weekend. :D

Big Muddy
01-16-2017, 09:39 PM
If he had that nose full of nickels he could pay for the weekend. :D

Ha, and completely buy out the next 5 garage sales. ;)

Thumper
01-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Well, I also wear a size 15 shoe, and I'm sure you know what the wimmins say about guys with big noses and big feet! ;)

Big Muddy
01-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Sure, we know what the wimmins say: "That is a big-footed, snotty-nosed guy." ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm headed to the stool store, right now. ;)