PDA

View Full Version : Hidehunter

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Or 'hey Hix"' in modern lingo.

I know you've sampled more wild fare than most. I was just rereading a Washington Irving book about his time out in Oklahoma and he mentioned hs guides wanting to roast a polecat. I did a little searching and I guess among indians and trappers it was considered pretty good fare, ranked above squirrel and rabbit.
I guess the old saying about 'Once you get past the smell you got it licked' is true.
You ever tried it?

I've eaten some questionable stuff, but polecat ain't one of them.

BKB

HideHunter
01-17-2017, 02:18 PM
I haven't.. and it's a pretty small list. ;) I have skinned a few and to be honest, I thought the meat smelled. I know you should be able to remove the glands and get away from that.. but I honestly just never took the time.

This was my first question when I skinned and ate the bobcats. That meat - even the Tom had no smell.

LJ3
01-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Did you get an answer Hosthole?

Chicken Dinner
01-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Muskrat fries were big for VFW fundraisers when I was kid over on the Eastern Shore. My favorite Uncle was a big coon hunter and roast coon was always on the Thanksgiving table right next to the turkey. Short of starvation and excluding sushi, that's about as exotic as I care to get.

BarryBobPosthole
01-17-2017, 04:35 PM
I've known people to enjoy coon and possum but most folks I know draw the line at polecat or skunk. Muskrat is another one I don't think people eat, at least around here. And a polecat is a totally different critter than a skunk. Distant cousins maybe. In fact, I think most everything in that family, muskrats, polecats, weasels, and so on are not considered edible by christian folk. It makes them forlorn to run acrost one.

BKB

Captain
01-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Who would have ever thought Woods-Pussy was editable????

HideHunter
01-18-2017, 11:03 AM
I eat 2-3 raccoons a year. I've eaten old ones (good pulled and BBQed) but pretty much stick with young of the year.. Fry it like chicken. It's *good*. Only a few things I've cooked that weren't good. Crow is pretty sketchy.. but edible. Coyote tastes just like it smells. Full grown jackrabbit, cooked on a spit and marinated with Mad Dog 20/20 is inedible. :) I've stayed away from the mink, otter, polecat thing.. so far. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-18-2017, 11:44 AM
It wasn't but a generation ago that a lot of different stuff got et that doesn't any more. My Dad told me he and his brothers most of the time took a cast iron pan, some lard, flour, and salt and pepper, and coffee to their hunting camp. They didn't find anything they didn't eat. Its where the tradition (at least in my family) of killing a young doe the first day of deer camp came from, game wardens bedamned. Remember this was a family that lived way back in the sticks, with a Dad, four boys, and one girl all who'd lost their mother at a young age in the 30's and 40's. They was a rough bunch, I'd imagine. The other thing to remember, deer were a rare sight in Arkansas during that time. They'd about killed them out at that point. So rare that people still argued over whether they shed horns or not. i recall many of those arguments as a kid. Birddog and I were just discussing that the other day. I also remember discussions of a madstone in some deer. Supposed to cure snakebite.

BKB

BKB

Trav
01-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Funny you say that about the antlers Barry. Nobody in my family was really much into the outdoors which amazes me since they are all basically farmers. When I was in 4th grade we moved from Tulsa to the small town I grew up in Collinsville and pretty much all my friends hunted and fished. That was when I got hooked and I always begged my friends parents to let me tag along. So fast forward to my late 20's and I was telling my dad and brother about finding some shed antlers and neither one of them believed that they fell off each year. We had a old encyclopedia set and I went and pulled it up to prove to them I wasn't lying.

Arty
01-18-2017, 10:25 PM
I ate some blackstrap that an old okie cooked one time. That was the tits!

Thumper
01-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Ha ha ha ha! You said "blackstrap"! ;)

Arty
01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Ha ha ha ha! You said "blackstrap"! ;)

I'm still trying to figure out who the hell thought it would be a good idea to give you control of the money AND the edit button. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
01-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Jimmy is the George Soros of Goodhunting.
BKB

Thumper
01-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Ummm, there was no editing from me. (???)