PDA

View Full Version : Moon Phases and Fishing

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2017, 11:15 AM
First off, we set our dates for Dogtooth this year back to the old 'last weekend in July to first weekend in August that we used for years on Dogtooth.
The last, I'd say four years we've chased the full moon so we could troll at night and we've had som work interference, and what has happened is our dates slipped further into late August. And what has happened is our catch rates, which we keep pretty close track of have gone down. By about 30%. That's a lot.
What we figured out, at least for this lake, time of year trumps the moon for producing good day or night time fishing. And that time of year deal is literally only a space of two or three weeks, in SW Ontario that's slipping from a mid summer pattern to a late summer pattern over that span. We set the old dates based on missing the mayfly hatch in early to mid July and catching the midsummer baitfish patterns, when the ciscos are not too big and they're still balling up and the big walleyes are busting over very deep water. Even in daytime.

So here's news you can use.

Screw the moon, when it comes to fishing. Other shit matters more. Now the moon to me just tells us how late in the evening we can fish.

BKb

Big Skyz
01-24-2017, 11:48 AM
I pay far more attention to the barometric pressure than I do the moon. There is definitely a correlation between the BP and fish activity. The only time I pay much attention to the moon is when I go ling fishing. They bite best on darkest nights (new moon phase). They shun the light. We have tried to go on nights when the was between a 1/4 and 1/2 a moon and they just don't bite. When there is no moon you can't hardly keep them off your hook. I've never a seen a fish so affected by the moon.

quercus alba
01-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Moon faces?