PDA

View Full Version : Big chest question....

Big Muddy
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Got a big chest-type freezer....it's inside my shop, but shop is not climate-controlled....whenever the outside air temp. drops below about 25 degrees, the freezer will shut down....it has a temp. display screen on it, which I keep at the mfg. recommended temp. setting of 10 degrees.

It has an alarm on it, if the temp. rises too much, but I always take a quick glance at the display screen, each time I walk into the shop to make sure it reads 10 degrees....a few days ago, after a night in the 20's, the screen displayed 30 degrees, and a couple of packages of frozen venison on the very top had gotten a bit soft, but still frozen.

At first, I thought the freezer was conking out, even though it's only six years old....I just couldn't see paying several hundred bucks for a repair bill, when I can buy a new one for about $600 bucks.

After several hours of calling around, trying to find a new one, I went back to the shop to find that the freezer was not only running, but the inside temp. had dropped, and was displaying 10 degrees....it was working just fine, and has been ever since.

My question for your science gurus is: "why did the freezer shut down, when the temp. was set on 10 degrees, but the outside temp. is only 25 degrees?"

Thumper
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
As far as I know Edward, that's a common problem with FROST FREE freezers. The temp sensor is attached to the coils on the back (or inside the rear panel) of the freezer. If the ambient temp is low (freezing) the coils take longer to heat and turn the defrost timer off ... even though the defroster is warming the inside of the freezer.

(I think) :D

Thumper
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Ooops, I suppose I should'a asked if yours is "frost free" before I opened my big mouth. ('Course, I HAD to chime in ... the title to this post sucked me in!) ;)

Big Muddy
01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Yep, Thump, it is a frost-free model....and, I think I understand what you're saying.

Would a non-frost-free model do the same thing, or would it not have the sensor/coil on it???

HideHunter
01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
eddie I have two chest types (just bought a new one) in my garage. I specifically asked if they could be outside. One model I was looking at could not - but I guess I never thought to ask why.. Anyway - neither of these are frost free. The one that was in there previous to the new one was over 30 years old and was outside it's whole existence.

Both mine are Kenmores, by the way.

Big Muddy
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Yep, Hide, mine is a Kenmore, too....the plate says it is a commercial type....don't know if that makes any differfence....just thankful it kicked back on, and didn't lose any contents....I'll be more careful and observant, during the next 20 degree weather.

Thumper
01-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I've had my frost free freezer in the garage for almost 24 years with no problems (bought it new), but we seldom get any freezing days here. I was told years ago that if you want a freezer for the garage, to go the NON-frost free route due to that problem. I found mine at a "scratch & dent" tent sale in the parking lot of Monkey Wards when we bought this house and I just couldn't pass up the good price (who cares if a garage freezer has a dent in the side? plus it's the side against the wall, so you don't see it anyway)

I've also heard that the newer freezers with the new coolant (R whatever it is these days) don't work well with cold outside temps ... but I'm not positive. The defrost thing always made sense to me and it kinda stuck in my head all these years even though I ignored the advice due to living in Florida. My concern was always HIGH temps. The same technician also explained that garage refrigerator/freezers have a HUGE problem as in cold weather, the fridge will not cycle as often which shoves the freezer into "refrigerator" temp range. (ie; the fridge is fine but the freezer thaws)

Chicken Dinner
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
No idea. It seems weird that stuff would that if the air temp was still below freezing though. I might keep a tupperware container of crushed ice in the top fo the thing to see if the temps were fluctuating a bunch when I wasn't around. (Homer nods to Buckrub on that idea...)

Thumper
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Yep, Thump, it is a frost-free model....and, I think I understand what you're saying.

Would a non-frost-free model do the same thing, or would it not have the sensor/coil on it???

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. Yeah, that's my understanding ... if it's to be kept outside in freezing temps, the non-frost free unit is the way to go. Mind you, this is what I was told many years ago, so things may have changed. Basically, the defrost unit keeps warming the inside because the temp sensor OUTSIDE (on the coils) "thinks" it's still too cold. Who knows?

HideHunter
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
When I asked the salesman about being outside he said these freezers yes - refrigerators no... again I didn't ask why. Don't supposed you can even buy a full-sized frig that isn't "frost-free" anymore. It was 8 here this morning - so it's probably not a factor. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Maybe you try putting them on a dolly.

BKB

Thumper
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah Hideyhole, outside is a no-no for refrigerators in freezing temps. The fridge "thinks" it's cold and doesn't cycle ... which does nothing but convert the freezer into an extension of the refrigerator.

Sunshine
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
I've got a second fridge /freezer upright in garage. Turn it on when we need it. Over the holidays the garage got to 40 degrees. It's working fine.
I have a huge kenmore chest freezer out there too. It's not a frost free and its fine.

Thumper
01-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Uhhh, don't look now Mrs. Blonde Sunshine ... but 40 degrees ain't quite "below freezing". :D

Big Boy
01-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I think Thump hit it. Many fridges and freezers use what they call ambient (outside the fridge) temperature somehow in the thermostat, therefore they're not designed to be used "outdoors" or in a garage or out building. There are others that will work just fine "outdoors". I don't believe this has anything to do with whether it's frost free or not but I know a few folks who have had this issue with "garage freezers".

Buckrub
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't have a clue. But I did take that lemon of a whirlpool refrig out to the garage and it has worked fine for years, both the refrigerator and the freezer part. It sits next to a chest freezer that's a cheapo, not frost free. It also has worked like a charm for years. Both may go out tomorrow, I dunno........but so far they're fine. Our ambient temp during their life 'outside' has ranged from 5 F to 114F, several times each.