PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 hunting rifle involved in several shooting tragedies

airbud7
01-29-2017, 08:27 PM
60 Minutes tonight/ 7:35
Lesley Stahl reports on the Remington 700 hunting rifle involved in several shooting tragedies

Booger
01-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Started 50 minutes ago here. Remmy story got "trumped" (ha ha) by story about refugees and muslim ban, bike racers cheating. No rem 700 story tonight..

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Do you know any specifics on this story?

BKB

airbud7
01-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Barry they did switch the story last night like Booger said
Heres some of the story:

CBS News correspondent Lesley Stahl travels to Enon, Mississippi to investigate the case of Zachary Stringer, a 15-year-old who was found guilty of the lesser-included offense of manslaughter after shooting his younger brother Justin, 11, in their mother's home in 2011. At his trial, Zach's and Justin's father Roger Stringer testified that both boys were hunters and had gun racks in their bedrooms (each boy had two guns and ammunition). At the time of Justin's death, both boys were home with their guns without parental supervision. Although Zach says he never pulled the trigger, he was sentenced to 20 years in prison for the murder of his brother; with 10 years served and 10 years of post-release supervision. After serving five years, he was released on good behavior.

Now Roger Stringer, who speaks with Stahl on 60 Minutes, is asking a judge to hold Remington's "feet to the fire." The manufacturer of the gun in Zach's hands was a Remington 700 rifle. The company has reportedly received “hundreds of complaints” of the gun’s trigger mechanism – the X-Mark ProŽ – inadvertently discharging. Remington has voluntarily recalled the product. However, the complaints were not shared during Zachary Stringer’s trial. The prosecutor on Stringer’s case tells Stahl he didn’t know there had been complaints. “Had we known there was a problem with the trigger before we were getting ready for trial, I would assure you we would have looked into that,” he says. “We would have accessed the case based on that evidence, there’s no question about that.” Roger Stringer tells Stahl he would like to see the elimination of "the danger that is lurking in so many households." 60 Minutes airs Sundays at 7pm on CBS.

airbud7
01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
HD Video
published on Dec 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_GDpZM3ak

DeputyDog
01-30-2017, 04:37 PM
I was gonna say I thought that was old info on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Wow, that poor kid. Will they retry him you think?

BKB

johnboy
01-30-2017, 05:24 PM
I watched a program some time back about this exact thing - rifle discharges without trigger being pulled.

airbud7
01-30-2017, 05:41 PM
I watched a program some time back about this exact thing - rifle discharges without trigger being pulled.

Yep...heres 2 short videos of a 700 misfiring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTIkDQ93Tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLQV7qFWeMs

Big Muddy
01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
My 700 is not on the recall list, but my b-i-l's was....but, before finding that out, his 700 accidentally discharged in the cab of his truck, and blew out his transmission.

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2017, 07:17 PM
My cousin had a bad habit of carrying his 06 with him fishing. He also had a bad habit of checking his safety by pulling on his trigger. I was with him when he shot a hole in the top of the tranny in hos Dad's pickup. My ears rang for
ike five days.

Dumbass.

I need to see if mine is on the recall list.

BKb

and ps, nope! just those manufactured between 2006 and 2014

airbud7
01-30-2017, 07:58 PM
My cousin had a bad habit of carrying his 06 with him fishing. He also had a bad habit of checking his safety by pulling on his trigger. I was with him when he shot a hole in the top of the tranny in hos Dad's pickup. My ears rang for
ike five days.

Dumbass.

Laughing my ass off^^^:lmao

That would scare the shit outta me!

BarryBobPosthole
01-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Laughing my ass off^^^:lmao

That would scare the shit outta me!

Believe me, it scared both of us. I last hunted with him in Arkansas in like 1992. Any time he pickedup his gun he pointed it up and checked the trigger. I have no idea where he picked up that habit. I know for certain he didn't learn it from his dad who was a damn strict disciplinarian when it came to guns.

BKB

Booger
01-30-2017, 08:34 PM
Had a marlin 30-30 that fired as I was easing the hammer down after jacking a round into the chamber ( to make it safe). Did have the smarts to have it pointed in a safe direction while pulling off this slick little stunt. Sold it shortly after that.

Big Skyz
01-30-2017, 09:50 PM
I actually had one of my Remington's go off just like that. Scared the crap out of me. I emptied the rifle, walked back to the truck, and never fired again until I had the whole trigger/safety mechanism replace with a Timney. One cannot appreciate how scary that Remington trigger is until it happens to you.