PDA

View Full Version : We're Going to Hell

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 08:57 AM
One of the things I keep seeing pop up on social media is the subversion plan the libtards have put in play to eliminate an icon that ties us to our glorious past: cursive writing. I wasn't aware it was a problem until several people pointed out that teachers are in fact punishing students who dare to write in the font of our founders!
Just this morning someone I know posted this picture on facebook showing that liberal teachers are threatening our heritage! Of course, she doesn't know this person but felt obligated to share it anyway.

It makes me want to curse.

BKb

Captain
02-02-2017, 09:17 AM
That's insane. As hard as they hammered that stuff in our head years ago.
Someone should call Trump.

LJ3
02-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Cursive is bullshit.

given the progression (or regression, take your pick) to our keyboard society. I write in all upper case and I can barely do that any more :)

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Next thing you know, we'll be giving out momentos of teams kids play on and call them participation trophies.

Our kids need to write in cursive, dammit, and no memories of losing teams are allowed!

BkB

Chicken Dinner
02-02-2017, 09:59 AM
I really don't give a rats ass whether kids print or write in cursive. I gave up cursive in the 6th grade and regret it now. (I can barely sign my own name.) My oldest at 17 learned it and doesn't use it any more. By time my youngest at came through, age 13, they had stopped teaching it.

Telling some kid they can't use it, however, is awfully small-minded.

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Yesterday my grandson were over and I'm pretty amazed at what they teach in kindergarden nowadays. And he has homework. Personally I think five is a little young for homework but hey, they're the teachers.

My whole tongue in cheek point is we get upset over shit that is trivial. And then it becomes an anthem, and the next thing you know we're judging people by their fonts and whether all fonts are created equal or if we have a national font.

Jesus Schmeezus give it up. Throw another lump of coal in the pot bellied stove and lets get on with it.

BKb

LJ3
02-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Go fuck yourself, cursive denier!

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Those damned lying climate change scientists probably can't write in cursive either.

By the way, what did the groundhog see? We getting more winter or what?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-02-2017, 10:34 AM
6 more weeks of winter. Ours has been very mild so far. So, six more weeks of it wouldn't be that bad.

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Buds are already swelling on the piss elms here. One more gray month for us and then we'll get fooled into thinking it's spring.

BKb

Thumper
02-02-2017, 10:42 AM
I stopped writing in cursive so many years ago, I can't even do it anymore. Literally! I just tried it a few months ago when attempting to write a short note with my autograph (long story) and I had to write so slowly, it looked like a grade school student learning to write for the first time.

Many, MANY years ago (before computers), I instructed all of my Service Advisors and mechanics to PRINT only. In those days the Advisors would manually write a repair order, then it would go to the dispatcher, then it would go to a handful of mechanics, through the Parts Dept, then back to the SA, then to the cashier, then to the warranty clerk, then had to be filed. Once filed, it could be referenced and refiled many times over. One order written with poor penmanship could amount to hours of wasted production time. Example, the order goes to the dispatcher but he can't log it in because maybe there's ONE complaint he can't make out. He'd then have to locate the SA to get a clarification before he could log it in and dispatch it to the proper mechanic. If the SA was tied up with a customer or possibly out on a road test or went to lunch after writing the order ... that car sat until a clarification was made. THEN the car would go to the mechanic and HE had to figure out what the complaint was. Of course, there was also a snowball effect as once the repair was complete, the MECHANIC had to write down what he did to the car ... multiply that by 4-5 stops in the shop (different complaints go to different mechanics), then the SA and cashier and warranty clerk had to be able to read the complaint AND the repair. By the end of the day, a ton of time has been wasted just because the repair order could not be read. Multiply that by 200 cars/day and it's a major blow to production.

Don't forget the Parts Department. If the mechanic had to pull parts for a repair, the guy at the parts counter had to write what parts were to be charged to the repair order. If it couldn't be read, it amounted to more chaos. A freeze plug is cheaper than a spark plug for example. Or did he replace the radiator or the radio??? Did he REPLACE a tire? Or REPAIR a tire?

I instructed ALL my SA's and mechanics that repair orders were to be PRINTED only. Even if their handwriting sucked, 99.9% of the time, a printed order could be figured out without having to track down and wait for the original writer to decipher. Before that, I couldn't tell you how many times I'd step out of my office and see half my shop's mechanics standing in the service drive waiting to talk to a SA for clarification.

Of course, once we became computerized and repair orders were printed out by machine, that problem disappeared. Cursive should go the way of the dinosaur IMHO. Heck, it's a wonder you don't want to start using only Roman numerals! ;)

DeputyDog
02-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Just an observation on cursive since Barry jokingly i believe mentioned our heritage.

I have done a lot of genealogical research and I recently shared some of it with my daughter who is in 6th grade. All of the historical records, marriage licenses, land grants, death certificates, census information, etc. we're hand written in cursive. She couldn't read any of it.

So say someone got a grand conspiracy started to change the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution and the only copy of it people could read was the typed or printed copy that had been transcribed? How would anyone know it's been changed?

I know that is an extreme example but the resurgent popularity of 1984 made me think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Wow, I guess I never thought of cursive appearing to be another language to a young reader. I'll have to try that out on my grandson when he gets a little further along in his reading.
And I agree, there could be a lot of alternate facts thrown at us if we aren't diligent!
BKB

quercus alba
02-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Btw, Times New Roman is the national font.

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Hahahaha funny.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
02-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Those damned lying climate change scientists probably can't write in cursive either.

By the way, what did the groundhog see? We getting more winter or what?

BKB

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170202/cf4ad6d503ffe4a511fbce8deec67221.png

Thumper
02-02-2017, 02:14 PM
So say someone got a grand conspiracy started to change the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution and the only copy of it people could read was the typed or printed copy that had been transcribed? How would anyone know it's been changed?

I know that is an extreme example but the resurgent popularity of 1984 made me think of it.

Well, as you said, that is an extreme example as we have all sorts of records documenting cursive writing and what it stands for. Heck, we have deciphered Egyptian hieroglyphs, so I doubt cursive English would be a problem to figure out in the future. P-hole needs to exchange his 'Yota for a Model T. ;)

Arty
02-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Buds are already swelling on the piss elms here. One more gray month for us and then we'll get fooled into thinking it's spring.

BKb

Piss elm??

DeputyDog
02-02-2017, 02:24 PM
At that rate, why even teach them to write sentences or spell. All the kids do is use text shorthand anyway so why not just teach them that?

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Piss elm??

Yes. Piss elms. What do you call them? Urinating elms?

BKB

Thumper
02-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Piss Elms??? Is that where piss ants live? :confused:

BarryBobPosthole
02-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Well, if you park under one you'll know what I mean, you'll have spots like measles all over your truck. And when you burn elm, I should say IF you can ever light a fire big enough to burn it, it smells like piss. Hence, piss elm. We Okies are simple, but descriptive in our vocabulary.

BKB

Arty
02-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Honestly never heard of a piss elm. Now I gotta look it up to see if they live in these parts.

quercus alba
02-02-2017, 10:54 PM
We actually pronounce it el-um in here in LA