PDA

View Full Version : Happy time in Nats land

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
They dumped Edwin Jackson and the friggin Cubs signed him for $52 million. That's a lot of money for a pitcher with an ERA over 4.0 and a lifetime losing record. I hated him when he was a Cardinal, cussed him every time Larussa brought him to the mound, cheered when the Nats brought him out and we lit him up like the fourth of July, and now I guess I'll be happy to see him pitch for the Cubs every time we play them.

What a weird world this baseball can be.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Jackson wasn't bad as the #5 starter - just way too inconsistent. 4 years and 52m is crazy and I'm glad we non-tendered him. I think the Cubbies are going to regret that contract almost as much as the Soriano deal.

Buckrub
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Any time the Cubs sign another loser, there are happy smiles in real baseball land. The Goat Lives.

Jackson "has good stuff". I've heard that for years, about a ton of pitchers. Pitchers last a few years at most, unless they are lefthanded, then they get a few more. But every starting pitcher makes $6M a year, just cause they are air breathers. Bullpen guys, not so much. Jackson couldn't get guys out. That is all a pitcher has to do.

On a related note, the best free agent pitcher from last year had limited 'stuff', and very limited velocity, and yet thought he was gonna sign a bazillion dollar contract after his free agency year. Kyle Lohse. However, he turned down $13.3M from the Cards to "explore his options", which as of today consist of sitting on his butt doing nothing, for nobody. The MLBPU has royally screwed this guy with their rules! I laugh in their general direction.

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
He may have a $6 million dollar body, but he's got a 50 cent haid.

BKB

Buckrub
01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
That's how I feel.