PDA

View Full Version : Damn! This sucks ....

Thumper
02-09-2017, 08:11 PM
I got a call this afternoon from my old hunting buddy's wife. She said they were talking and he said he was a little hungry and would like a little snack, then the phone rang. It was their son calling and she left the room to talk on the phone a few minutes, then returned to see if he wanted her to fix him a little something to eat. But he'd died! He was fine one minute and 10 minutes later, he was gone! (heart attack) Damn, I just talked to him the other day, he sounded great. He was looking forward to coming down here in a couple weeks to visit and maybe do a little fishing. (he generally comes down to visit every February) Crap! He's the one who TAUGHT me to hunt close to 40 years ago. We'd hunt deer every November, Turkey in the Spring, then we'd head to Canada for bear season and do some walleye fishing. The guy lived, ate and breathed the outdoors. It was his life. ALL of my trophies are hanging on his den wall. He's my son's grandfather and one of the closest friends I've ever had. This was totally unexpected, but at least there was no sickness or suffering. It appears he simply went to sleep and didn't wake up. I guess that's a plus if you're searching for a positive, but it hurts that I never got to say good-bye. I'll never forget the time spent with him in the woods, on the lake or just sitting by the campfire shooting the shit. He was like a second father to me and I'll miss him. :(

BarryBobPosthole
02-09-2017, 08:15 PM
True friends are rare and a true blessing. Sorry to hear of you losing your friend, Jim.

BKB

Captain
02-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Man sorry to hear this. I lost perhaps my best fishing buddy in December and I still don't think a day goes by that I don't think of him and remember some trip we took.
Those are tough time Jim. Let us know if we can do anything for ya.

Arty
02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Man that sucks, and I'm sorry for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy
02-09-2017, 08:36 PM
"I'll never forget the time spent with him in the woods, on the lake or just sitting by the campfire shooting the shit." That says it all, Jim. Keep your friend close to you in your heart and memories. He'll always be with you.

Big Muddy
02-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Tough news, Jim....prayers coming your way and the family, too.

LJ3
02-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Sorry buddy. That's sucks.

HideHunter
02-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Sorry to hear it, Jim..

DeputyDog
02-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
02-10-2017, 09:12 AM
That's a tough deal, Thump.

Bwana
02-10-2017, 02:29 PM
So sorry for you Jim. My condolences.

Thumper
02-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Today is Lynn's birthday and we're at the beach for the weekend, so I'm staying distracted. It hasn't really sunk in yet that he's gone. Like a dream I'll eventually wake up from. I'm gonna miss the "old" guy. Dang, he was healthy as an ox and could haul a deer out of the woods like he was just on a walk in the park. He was "only" 77 years young ... but hustled around like he was 50! It sucks ... it was just so quick and unexpected. I guess you never know when your last day might be.