PDA

View Full Version : CCNA Certification

Nandy
02-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Well, still no dice. What I am guessing is going to help me find a new job will be getting certified as every position does have the certification in the desired qualifications... While working at the company and doing the same job for so long they never cared but new employers seems to want it. 10 years ago I started the classes, paid by BST at that time, but the company teaching the class f'ed up early on the training and we could not finish. Seems our director lost some money and we never got another chance.
Any of you have certified recently?
Any words of wisdom?

So far it seems it is about $3k so being that I am not making any money this makes it a hard decision... I probably will not be able to start until I have a job but it should lead me to a better opportunity by mid year...

Thanks!

airbud7
02-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Could you wing it on the test?......I would like to think I could because I fixed some crazy shit that a certerfied dick did...A local bank @that...

Captain
02-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Good luck Nandy. Thanks for checking in also. We are all pulling for you.
Keep us posted.

BarryBobPosthole
02-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Nandy I know there are CCNA boot damps that only last like five or six days. Are those the same coin as the regular courses?

In your field, I'd probably recommend it.

BKB

Nandy
02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Airbud, not sure you can take the test without having taking the courses...
Ty Larke.
Barry, While I am very familiar with the technology I am not sure I can do one of those camps but I am looking into that.

BarryBobPosthole
02-10-2017, 09:12 PM
I looked at the Tulsa Tech program and its $2500 bucks.
its been a long time since I was in that part of the business but back then a ccna was a pretty good ticket to punch.good starting salaries too.

BKB

LJ3
02-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade here but the value of a CCNA isn't what it used to be. At least around here.

Personally, I'd try to get something without the certification and then decide if you want to pursue it.

Hombre
02-11-2017, 11:45 AM
I am with LJ on this one. I would rather have experience than a CCNA. In my opinion everything in the next 5 years will go to coding. Even layer 1 is centralizing the control plane.

BarryBobPosthole
02-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Then your message to Nandy is to go learn coding.

There you have it Nandy!

BKB

Nandy
02-11-2017, 01:21 PM
I can code in Java, Pearl, tcl/tk, heck I remember Basic! Reason I am looking at it is because it is in the desired field in many of the Telecom position that matches my skill set in the noc's. I have almost 20 years of experience as a tier 2 support. From iof to access (in other words facility equipment Sonet muxes, asynchronous muxes, slc systems in all mayor vendors Fujitsu, Lucent, alcatel, titan,Etc ) plus the adsl networl from the dslam up to the ATM and router network. All those years spent troubleshooting t1, t3 and optics and the equipment at tier 2 level so really (and excuse my French ) wtf else they need me to know!? So that is my frustration right now... this phone keyboard is to small and risking i slam it on the floor so I'm stopping now .... lol!

BarryBobPosthole
02-11-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm a member of a fb group of old tech controllers and i see this link all the time. this job is closed but there may. be others on here.

I'll keep looking.

BKB

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/463374500/

LJ3
02-11-2017, 02:02 PM
I think what Hombre mentioned is what is causing jobs like Nandy had to be in lesser demand. We'll always needs copper and fiber but the control systems for them are changing.

Nandy
02-11-2017, 03:34 PM
I understand that Len however the tcp/IP world has not as much hardware but it still needs maintenance and I was part of that already. That is also the reason I been looking outsidethe Telecom world. Either way I think they have Greeters positions at Walmart ....

LJ3
02-11-2017, 04:42 PM
A routers a router and a switch is a switch. I'd hire ya if I had an open position!

BarryBobPosthole
02-11-2017, 04:57 PM
I guess you've tried the Dukenets and Level threes of the world?

BKb

Nandy
02-11-2017, 08:32 PM
I will check on level 3...

BarryBobPosthole
02-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Nandy, I was chatting offline with Hombre about your search. He recommended Broadplex. You heard of them?

BkB

Also I just remembered working woth a company in NC called Concord Telephone Company. I think they're known as CTC. I'd assume you know of them too, but just in case....(i know they had a fiber network)

Nandy
02-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys!

Hombre
02-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Nandy - Here's a solid list of companies that have fiber in Carolina. All may not have operations centers but might be good places to look:

- Crown Castle
- Achelea
- Balsam West / Fibernet
- Charter
- Fiberlight
- Windstream
- Level 3
- Lumos
- Metro Fiber Networks
- Summit IG
- Zayo
- Lightower
- Earthlink (bought by Windstream)
- Unite Private networks
- MCNC (MCNC.Org)
- This is an interesting one because they take BTOP funds to build connectivity out to colleges and school systems.....Get you one of those Gubbermint jobs!
-Broadplex

Not sure what you are looking for, whether field or remote, but they have networks in the area figured it give you places to look.

Nandy
02-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Alright, a bunch of applications flying by...
Thanks yall!