PDA

View Full Version : Dragging deer

Arty
02-14-2017, 12:08 PM
I was talking to some friends earlier about manual labor and that convo turned into dragging deer. With all the new fangled toys now a days I suspect there isn't nearly as much dragging a deer out of the woods as there used to be. Comforts sure are nice. I know the last deer I skinned was loaded up in a gator 2 feet from where it laid (my son laid his ass out! :) )
Anyway that story made me think of all the damn deer I've dragged, or carried out of the woods. I always tagged along with my dad, oldest brother, and my dads friends. Being the youngest and "on my first set of legs" as they'd say, I always had the honor of being the pack mule. One drag in particular will stay in my mind until I die.
I was hunting outside wheeling WV with my dad and a couple of his friends who lived up there. One of the guys name was "Rambo". That wasn't his name, but that's what everybody called him. He would shoot any deer he saw. Day or night, highway, parking lot, church cemetary, didn't matter. But I digress.
I was about 12-13 years old. A foot of snow on the ground and I was sitting in a stand at the top of ridge that looked down into a hollow (holler). With the snow you could see what seemed like a mile. It was very early in the morning and I was freezing to death. I still think that may be the coldest I have ever been. At the bottom of the hollow was an old logging road. It was probably 225-250 yards. But it was almost STRAIGHT downhill (West Virginia has some hills!)
4-5 does came out on that road and I will never forgot how they just "appeared", like deer tend to do. I put the hairs on the one in the front and shot. In my scope I saw her do a complete 360 in the air. And I saw blood spraying allll over the snow. She landed DRT. Other does scattered.
I stayed put like I had been instructed to do and shortly after my dad came by and we walked 1/4 of the way, and slid 3/4 of the way, down that hill. Once we get down there and had it gutted, we started thinking how the hell we'd get it out. Taking the logging road would mean crossing another property and going a half mile more more out of the way. So dad grabbed a 20 foot piece of rope out of his pack, tied one end to the doe, and the other end around my waist.
This was probably 150 pound dressed doe. Up the hill we went. Grabbing trees, branches, each other. Anything to obtain forward motion. We were bent at the waist like we were climbing a mountain (I guess we actually were!) We get to the top and my dad is 20 feet or so ahead of me. I FINALLY make the last few steps and see my feet are on flat ground. I stand up, take a deep breath and relax my leg and back muscles. What I had forgotten was that even though I was on flat ground, the doe 20 feet behind me WASN'T! As soon as I "let off" that rope, that doe pulled me down, face first, going backward, DAMN NEAR all the back to where I shot her. I had made a nice slick packed down chute from pulling her up, and she rode straight back down it. With me in tow. I grabbed a branch or something and finally got stopped. I wipe the snow from my face, stand up, and look back at the top of the hill where my dad is laughing so hard it was echoing through that hollow.
As they say, good times. Good times.

Every kid should have to drag a deer out of the woods at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2017, 12:15 PM
The hardest drag of my life wasn't a deer but about a 200 pound hog. I only had to drag it about a 100 yards but it damn near gave me a grabber. Those sumbitches ain't got any handles or anything you can get a purchase on.

I won't ever drag another one, that's for sure. The novelty of that shit wore right the frack off.

BKB

quercus alba
02-14-2017, 12:21 PM
I was dragging a big heavy four-point down the side a steep creek bank and he passed me jerking me around and strained something in my back. I had to tie a rope around his horns and drag him on my hands and knees for a couple hundred yards. Fortunately my bil had come out early and helped me. Some other time I'll regale you with the rest of a very interesting morning

Chicken Dinner
02-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Man, that brings back some memories. Both the being cold and the deer drag. Other than a couple of coon hunts in my early teens, I didn't start really hunting (deer and ducks) seriously until my early 20's. But, the things that passed for insulated clothing and boots on my limited income are laughable now. (How many pairs of socks does it take to keep your feet warm in a pair of uninsulated Red Ball waders standing in a frozen river in January?) I remember "dragging" my first deer out of the woods. It was a nice 4pt that, of course, I killed on the backside of the property I hunted. It was me and my good buddy Dave whose leg I'd broken (a story for another day...) a month or so earlier. Anyway he was somewhat limited as he was still in a walking cast and using a cane. So, we cut us a sapling, tie this deer to it and carry it out on our shoulders Injun style. Let's just say, that's not a better mousetrap and dragged every deer since then out the old fashioned way.

quercus alba
02-14-2017, 12:48 PM
My easiest deer drag is anytime I have two or more of my husky progeny along.

BarryBobPosthole
02-14-2017, 01:00 PM
I think young folks these days could use some of those experiences to 'deepen their understanding' of what its all about.

Thankfully, my understanding is like the Marianas Trench so I don't need no more of it.

BKB

LJ3
02-14-2017, 02:31 PM
As with most these stories I shot a buck down at the bottom of our property and I was by my lonesome. Big 10 pointer, biggest buck I've ever killed. Had to drag him up to the top of the property which took a few hours. Wound up rupturing a disc and damaging a nerve that happen to control my leg which greatly extended the time needed to get to the logging road. Took months to rehab it all.

That buck was worth it!

LJ3
02-14-2017, 04:41 PM
This thread reminded me of another story...

Way back in the day with my pop-in-law hunting what some call the petting zoo... He was getting up in years and had limited mobility. This did not deter him from hunting as he had plenty of yoots to gut and drag his deer for him. Yoots being loosely defined as whoever was nearest him and under the age of 75.

On this particular day he decided to hunt near me. He was at the bottom of a ridge and I was a few hundred yards up from him. We could both hunt in just about any direction but most of the action would come up from the bottom where Goose Creek provided a natural boundary.

Anywho... I was in buck only mode as I already had a freezer full of venison. He was never a horn hunter. If you had fur and got within half a mile of him, you died. He hunted with a .375 H&H and kilt deers at half a mile like Cap'n does.

So I'm minding my own business and here comes a group of does up from the bottom.... they chose the trail between the pop-in-law and myself. This trail came up between the two of us and then headed over toward his stand on the high side of the ridge. As they stand at the trail fork deciding what to do I whispered "Don't go that way, it won't end well for you..." Being deer, they didn't understand me.

I counted a couple minutes and then proceeded to plug my ears. The report of that H&H was something. Three minutes later, the .375 loosed 5 rounds.

AGH! Short story. I had to gut and drag 5 friggin' does up from that bottom. No, pop-in-law wasn't much for game laws. My legs were on fire after the 3rd deer and my bro-in-law mercifully showed up to assist with the last of the deer. I said "sweet Jesus, thank you for showing up!" He knew what the deal was. Said he counted the shots, knew what happened and had judged his arrival to what he thought would have been enough time for me to drag all five of the friggin deer. He thought that was funny. I did not. I still call him a dick from time to time when I think of that day.

Dick.

Big Skyz
02-14-2017, 06:01 PM
I can't remember the last time I drug a deer more than a couple hundred feet. You know being a professional road hunter and all. In all seriousness I haven't drug a deer in over 20 years. However, I've cut up and packed out more than I can remember. Unless it's close to where I can get my pick up it gets cut up and packed out. This year's pack out was right around 2 miles. Thinking back I'd say most of the deer I've packed out averaged around 2 miles from the truck. A few further and some closer, but most right around 2 miles. Hmmm, must be some kind of correlation in getting a couple miles from the pick up and having success.

Trav
02-14-2017, 07:02 PM
I had to pull one out of a creek and up a 20ft cliff that sure sucked. I have done a lot of dragging and I usually use my tree stand harness to pull it. Off I go like a draft horse but with my knee surgery I won't ever drag another one. I have my Can Am and a hoist to lift it into the back.

Arty
02-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Trav I think posty might have told they story on you over a glass of moonshine at the farm. Rings a bell anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trav
02-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Yeah it was a goodun