PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Question

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2017, 11:48 AM
I think the inducer motor on my forced air gas furnace is starting to go. (It makes a fairly loud humming noise intermittently.) HVAC company was here yesterday doing their bi-annual "free" inspection and wants over $700 to replace it. Says it's an expensive part. I checked on-line and the entire assembly is available for $100-$200. I didn't have the model and serial number of the furnace in order to be exact. YouTube sure makes it look easy as well. Anybody ever done this job? Is it as easy as it looks? I'm reasonably handy when it comes to replacing existing componentry. Is there anything I should watch out for?

BarryBobPosthole
02-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Never heard of one. Is it the deal next to the chrome schmittiniezer?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2017, 01:34 PM
No, it drives the flux capacitator...

As I understand it, it's the motor that drives the fan that pushes the exhaust out your vent/chimney. It sounds like replacing the motor itself can be a bitch, and most of what I'm seeing suggests just replace the entire fan assembly which includes the motor.

Thumper
02-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Have you tried oiling the inducer motor, or do they do that when they service it? If not, there should be an oil port for the armature shaft on each end of the motor housing. It's worth a try ... easy and inexpensive,

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/08MAAOSwLVZVjHlb/s-l300.jpg

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2017, 01:45 PM
I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks!

Thumper
02-16-2017, 01:48 PM
I just found a video on YouTube. It totally sucks, but it gives you an idea what to look for.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2lHLG_FBEx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chicken Dinner
02-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! Did you get a look at that guy's air filter? I don't feel so bad about how mine looked when I changed them yesterday.

LJ3
02-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Yeah I've done it and it's really easy. I've done the whole assembly witf the fan attached and just the fan blades, too. Bofe were easy peasy less than 20 minutes.

Captain
02-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Bucky may not be busy if you need a hand. :D

Thumper
02-17-2017, 12:46 AM
Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! Did you get a look at that guy's air filter? I don't feel so bad about how mine looked when I changed them yesterday.

I was changing mine about as often as Posthole changes his underwear, but finally got smart and bought a re-usable filter. A bit of 409 and the garden hose ... and it's ready to reinstall. I clean it often and could probably build a couple of new cats with the hair I rinse out of it! :D

HunterEd
02-23-2017, 03:23 PM
The induced draft fan or ID fan My lost one was 60$ ish if I recall. I've replaced several dozen of them. All sizes from 1/10 hp to 100 hp. Some times as mentioned above a drop or 2 of oil will keep you going. It's like 3 or 4 screws, a cannon plug, draft hose for the switch. Not much else unless it is buried under other goodies.

Bwana
02-23-2017, 04:54 PM
So that is the guy we are supposed to learn from when it comes to furnace maintenance???

:)

Chicken Dinner
02-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Nope it's sett right there in the upper right when you take the cover off. 4 screws, a gasket, vacuum tube and a wiring harness. It's been so warm that I haven't screwed with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk