PDA

View Full Version : GPS Musings

BarryBobPosthole
02-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Sitting in the Denver Airport cooling our heels for our flight home. I brought my old dependable Garmin Nuvi to use in the rental car. It made me realize how much I dislike the GPS units that come standard in vehicles. I'm really not too impressed with the one that came in my wife's 4runner or my Tundra. And I don't understand why auto gps units don't include the basic gps features like tracks and waypoints and so forth and why the units don't update your basemaps with data as you go. Heck they charge enough for them.
I also don't know why modern marine gps/sonar units don't have a way to bluetooth info to a smart watch that shows up like a basic old flasher sonar does, along with depth and temp. It'd be a snap.

BKB

I don't know a lot of shit.

Chicken Dinner
02-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I've got a GPS in my new Jeep and I never use it. I much prefer the Waze app.

BarryBobPosthole
02-21-2017, 12:46 PM
For longer trips I like using gps to track progress. Sounds weird but it seems to make the trip go faster.
BKB

Chicken Dinner
02-21-2017, 12:49 PM
I like the crowd sourcing of traffic slow downs and police location that Waze provides. I also like the real time ETA based on that feature.

BarryBobPosthole
02-21-2017, 01:08 PM
I'll check it out.
BKB

DeputyDog
02-21-2017, 02:01 PM
I use Waze too. Really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
02-21-2017, 02:07 PM
I use Waze on my iPhone also if I don't have access to GPS. I'm with you on the factory units P-hole. They took some getting used to after using only Garmin for many years, but I still prefer the Garmin programming. I have the factory unit in my Tacoma and the same in Lynn's Avalon.

LJ3
02-21-2017, 03:08 PM
I like the crowd sourcing of traffic slow downs and police location that Waze provides. I also like the real time ETA based on that feature.

Including multiple u turns in one horse towns. I heard, anyway.

Chicken Dinner
02-21-2017, 03:56 PM
You're trying to blame that on the navigator? Man, that's a revisionist history if I ever heard one...

Including multiple u turns in one horse towns. I heard, anyway.

johnboy
02-21-2017, 04:07 PM
My biggest peeve with the F350 is the nav system. It just plain sucks. Will not be looking for a nav system in next new vehicle.