PDA

View Full Version : Rain and ducks....

Big Muddy
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
My son, grandson, and friends sat in the pouring rain, this morning, just to shoot these 5 bootlips and a drake woodie.

Myself, however, sat in a nice warm deer stand with a space heater, and took several nice little naps....only saw 3 redbirds, a bluejay, and one old snaggle-toothed doe, who stood in the same place for about an hour....sorta reminded me of an old whore, waiting on the curb for her next trick.

(I'm sure that the naps reduced my chances of actually seeing any deer.) ;)

Buckrub
01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
My late FIL, who taught (read: "Made") me how to deer hunt, used to say "If you really want to shoot a deer, learn how to take a good nap and when you wake up, one will be standing right out there in front of you"..........

He shunned all open spots. He hunted with a Ruger .44mag carbine, and usually shot about 30-40 yards. He killed some monsters.

Big Muddy
01-05-2013, 01:50 PM
With the rain, hitting the roof of my deer stand, and my belly full of sausage biscuits and hot coffee, and the warmth of the space heater, a deer woulda had to literally climb up the ladder, and bit me on my balls to wake me up!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
What is a bootlip?
BKB

Big Muddy
01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Spoon Bill or Spoonie or Shoveler or Paddle Bill or Boot Lip....pretty nasty names, but, prepared properly, they are pretty good eating.

Buckrub
01-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Anybody that'd eat a diving duck is either Cajun, or Crazy, or Both..........

Big Muddy
01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm dayum sure not a frigging Cajun, so color me crazy!!! ;)

Buckrub
01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
That crayon is down to the nub, man.

Big Muddy
01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Ooooooo, good one!!!!!....bite my bootlip!!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
We always called those Hollywoods, cause they are so flashy. I've killed a bunch think they were mallards.

BKB

LJ3
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
My son, grandson, and friends sat in the pouring rain, this morning, just to shoot these 5 bootlips and a drake woodie.

Myself, however, sat in a nice warm deer stand with a space heater, and took several nice little naps....only saw 3 redbirds, a bluejay, and one old snaggle-toothed doe, who stood in the same place for about an hour....sorta reminded me of an old whore, waiting on the curb for her next trick.

(I'm sure that the naps reduced my chances of actually seeing any deer.) ;)

That's a gator full of awesome, right there. I really want to shoot at a duck before I die.

jb
01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Good time to hijack this thread, anyway, an old college roommate of #3 invited him to a three day all expense paid duck/goose hunt in MO. Odd thing about this hunt is it's in April, youse guys hunt ducks and geese in the spring?

Trav
01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
JB,

The goose season runs until April down here but not ducks that I am aware of.

Bwana
01-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Come on up Len. Last I checked there are a few ducks up this way if you look really hard.

hotshot
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
My neighbor shot a hen spoonie last week- second to last dayof our season. Now that season is over- the birds started showing up!
I've et some divers- taste fine. Not Cajun, or too crazy. I prefer eccentric.

Big Muddy
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
You beez right, Hot....heck, a good duck gumbo isn't complete unless it's got all kinds of mystery meat in it....including bootlips, armadillo, blackbirds, crows, nutria, etc., etc. ;)