PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I'm a baseball fan!

Thumper
02-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Well, not persactly, but I won't turn down free food! ;)

The Detroit Tigers do their Spring training here ... in fact the stadium lights can be seen from my pool deck. They also have a big fireworks show after every game, so we can sit on the patio and watch the show from the comfort of home.

Anyway, they started a $50,000,000 stadium renovation last year and have it about 99% completed now. The team has arrived and all the baseball hype has started up. Since Lynn does a lot of work with the Chamber of Commerce and the Tigers team, we had VIP passes for the grand tour last week. We went through the whole stadium, press boxes, VIP areas, etc, etc. and also had a nice dinner and open bar.

Last night was "meet the team" night and again, we had VIP passes. Dang! BBQ ribs, chicken, pulled pork, sausage with all the fixin's .. cole slaw, potato salad, pasta, corn bread and rolls .. plus a bazillion different deserts and open bar. The Tigers team were circulating through the crowd, everyone was having pics taken of themselves with their favorite players or doing the old selfie thing. The players would sit at the tables and chat while we ate, etc. Very accessible.

Me? I chowed down big time! No time to chat. Heck, I didn't know any of those dufes anyway and baseball bores me to tears. BUT ... free food and drink? I'm all in! :D

I only took ONE pic. The weather was absolutely beautiful, so to get away from all the baseball talk and hype, I strolled out to right field and drank a few beers from our (free) souvenir mugs. BTW, when we left, there were a few mugs abandoned on the tables, so I collected a set of 6 (my fingers weren't long enough to carry more). ;)

Anyway, I did have a nice, quiet and peaceful spot to down a couple of brewskies and enjoy the picture perfect weather. ;)

Thumper
02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Oh yeah, we'll be watching the first game from the VIP Suites. Well, I won't actually WATCH the game ... there will be tons of free food and drink available. Not sure I'll be able to last 9 innings though.

BTW, we're going with Lynn's boss and SHE will be throwing the first pitch to open the season.

quercus alba
02-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Kribbs, if you ever do anything stupid and lose that woman, i will personally come to Florida and punch you in the snoot. Course according to Cap I could probably do that from Georgia so I wouldn't have make the whole drive. I'm wondering tho, what's Lynn getting out of this deal?

Thumper
02-22-2017, 11:08 AM
I'm wondering tho, what's Lynn getting out of this deal?

Are you kidding? She gets to spend the evening with ME! ;)

As for the earlier comments ... you and Cappy need to gather up a couple of stools (he'll need the TALLEST one).

Chicken Dinner
02-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Looks like a good time to me. (Even if I had to spend it with Thump!)

Hombre
02-22-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm not much of a baseball fan either but free booze and a suite makes it a pretty tolerable experience. I've watched a couple of Mariners games from the suite, and one in SF. Do what I did....Call bbp and get a few players names so you can drop an occasional name during conversation then head back to the beer.

LJ3
02-22-2017, 12:17 PM
He prolly gave you names of hockey players ust to F with you.