PDA

View Full Version : Boat Maintenance Day

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2017, 01:03 PM
This Wednesday is boat spring cleanup and maintenance day. It will mark the first time I've ever had the cowling off of my engine, a 225 Merc EFI, since the day I bought it. in 2000. I've never changed the lower unit oil, never replaced the water pump impeller, and never checked any of the fuel filters. Its also on it original set of spark plugs. All I've ever done is put gas in it (lots and lots of gas) My stepDad, who can fix anything in this world, worked on outboards for a few years at a boat place (he had NO experience with boats or motors when he was hired) He told me once that once in a while you get 'one of those engines' and I guess I got lucky.

Speaking of luck, all of that stuff gets done this Wednesday plus I need to bleed the steering. I'll let you know when I read the meter how many hours the motor has on it.

My only question right now is if this will change my luck. I've definitely been pressing my luck going this long.

Oh yeah, I have a brand spanking new Garmin 73sv echomap gps/locator to install. That'll for sure jinx me.

BKb

Chicken Dinner
02-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Man, I'd be afraid I'd stir up some crud at this point that would foul up something.

Thumper
02-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Plugs and lower unit oil wouldn't make me as nervous as the impeller and fuel filters. I get what you mean about the possible jinx ... but I'd feel better with getin' 'er done if it were me. (how are those trailer hubs lookin'?) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Plugs and lower unit oil would make me as nervous as the impeller and fuel filters. I get what you mean about the possible jinx ... but I'd feel better with getin' 'er done if it were me. (how are those trailer hubs lookin'?) ;)

I have bearing buddies on all four hubs and keep them greased with a little pressure. So far, knock on wood, they don't ever even get warm. I do have two trailer tires I've worn out that will get replaced this year.

And I'm replacing the solenoid on the trailer brake lockout. Its been hinky for a few years but I've put up with by shoving something in the manual lockout to keep it from engaging when I want to back up.

BKb

Thumper
02-27-2017, 03:26 PM
And I'm replacing the solenoid on the trailer brake lockout. Its been hinky for a few years but I've put up with by shoving something in the manual lockout to keep it from engaging when I want to back up. BKb

To keep this response clean and non-racist ... I'll use the alternate terminology ... we call that "Southern Engineering". ;)

BarryBobPosthole
02-27-2017, 03:38 PM
To keep this response clean and non-racist ... I'll use the alternate terminology ... we call that "Southern Engineering". ;)

Oh its every bit of that and more. There's been more times than Icare to remember sending Birddog off in search of a rock I could hammer something in there with. Primitive southern engineering.

BKB

johnboy
02-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Man, I must be the exact opposite of you when it comes to boat maintenance. Cowling came off both engines (main and kicker) after every trip out and the engine was hosed down with fresh water and dried out then spayed with a silicon spray, fresh water run through clean out port, fuel filters, lower end oil and engine oil changed at least once a year, prop pulled and splines re-greased every year, batteries checked and plugged in after each trip etc. etc. I might be a bit anal but salt water is a real killer on gear.

Spend a day working on your boat; she deserves it.

Thumper
02-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Yep, that's almost a necessity in salt Johnboy. I don't think P-hole has much salt water in Okieville. ;)

Captain
02-27-2017, 05:52 PM
He's pretty salty his-own-self....

Fido
02-28-2017, 03:02 PM
Always dreaded spring boat clean up. One tip that was a God send was using toilet bowl cleaner tooo clean the fiberglass,brand that worked the best ws called he Works!! You had to be careful not to breathe the stuff it took your breath way.

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Interesting. And it won't mess up your gelcoat?

BKB

LJ3
02-28-2017, 05:05 PM
I'd be scared shitless to put that on a fiberglass boat.

"apply in small test area to determine if this will ruin your shit" first.

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2017, 05:25 PM
I have some major waterstains on my hull that is gonna require much elbo grease to get shiny and sparkly again.

BKB

DeputyDog
02-28-2017, 06:41 PM
The Works used to be made locally near me. The guy came up with its formula and started his own company to sell it. He sold out a few years ago for a large fortune.

I have an older ski boat that always sat on a lift from day one. When my Mom sold her home on the lake due to age and illness we had to find a new spot to keep it. We found a place to rent a slip but that first year they had no spaces where we could use the lift so the boat had to sit in the water for the summer. Of course the hull was stained at the end of the season so we had it acid washed to clean it up and it looks good as new. I'd say using The Works is just a home-brewed acid wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
03-01-2017, 08:41 AM
I used to love spending a weekend doing the boat maintenance thang.
Makes me wish I had it back!

BarryBobPosthole
03-01-2017, 09:51 AM
I honestly enjoy it too. I went and got the boat yesterday amd plan to spend the day today tinkering, make a shake down run/fishing trip tomorrow, and detail it over the weekend.

I'm also looking forward to the call I'm going to get from my hoaabout having my boat parked in my driveway for over 24 hours.

BKB

Captain
03-01-2017, 10:12 AM
You are pretty good on that boat stuff. I've seen you install a battery faster than I could pay for it. :D