PDA

View Full Version : Hard Core Religion

quercus alba
02-28-2017, 01:19 PM
SPINDALE, N.C. (AP) — When it comes to relationships, marriage and sex, Word of Faith Fellowship members must follow strict and unusual rules — or risk severe punishment, former members say.

Some of the edicts:

— Congregants need permission from leader Jane Whaley and other ministers to get married, and it then can take months — or even a year — before the newlyweds are allowed to have sex.

— No one is allowed to date without permission, and most relationships and marriages are arranged by Whaley and ministers.

— On their wedding night, couples are permitted only a "godly peck on the cheek." When they get in bed together, they must roll over and go to sleep.

— For all married couples, love-making is limited to 30 minutes, no foreplay is allowed, the lights must be turned off and only the missionary position is sanctioned.

— Couples need permission from church leadership to have children, and leaders dole out condoms to make sure unapproved women don't get pregnant.

The former followers said couples violating the rules can be publicly rebuked, subjected to violence or forced to separate.

Chicken Dinner
02-28-2017, 01:32 PM
American Taliban...

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2017, 01:35 PM
My frigging STATE legislature is getting ready to vote on a bill to not allow 'incompatibility' as grounds for a divorce, require the courts to find fault in one party or the other for the divorce, and that party will pay more for court costs than the other, up to 75%.

Welcome to the nanny state, brought to you by the Tea Party.

BKb

http://blogs.findlaw.com/strategist/2017/02/no-more-no-fault-oklahoma-bill-could-make-divorce-harder.html

Chicken Dinner
02-28-2017, 01:59 PM
"Don't tread on me!" But, I'll tread on you all I want...

LJ3
02-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Well that seems like a good use of state legislature time and attention. for fucks sake!

johnboy
02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
To too many people, religion is about power, not god. Sad that people accept this crap.

LJ3
02-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Over the years I've come to my own conclusions about formal, organized religion. VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING... If someone is telling me that their church has the correct meaning and definition of God, or that Gad has chosen to share this information with a specific person in their religion of choice; chances are very good that there will be valid church based reasons to ask you for money and your behavior will be judged according to a specific set of rules.

In my opinion, God don't live there, never has, never will and has absolutely nothing to do with any concept remotely resembling those things. It doesn't have to be preached, evangelized, taught, distributed, disseminated or discussed.

At the risk of being a big ole hypocrite, I'm currently checking out churches to see if there's a place for people like me :) There's a big ole born again type church in my neck of the woods that puts on a hell of a show every Sunday. People are very nice as well.

Thumper
02-28-2017, 03:20 PM
The way to rid society of many of these b/s so called "churches" is to not offer tax-free status. Churches are a BUSINESS and some of these "businesses" are extremely lucrative. (Did Jesus wear a Rolex?) ;)

quercus alba
02-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Johnboy, I know religion ain't your thang but I'd say you have a better grasp on it than 99% of the so called believers. The Word is designed to guide you into becoming humble, gentle and kind, putting the needs of others ahead of your own. Instead it is used as a club fueled by hate and power

LJ3
02-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Johnboy, I know religion ain't your thang but I'd say you have a better grasp on it than 99% of the so called believers. The Word is designed to guide you into becoming humble, gentle and kind, putting the needs of others ahead of your own. Instead it is used as a club fueled by hate and power

I can't argue with that logic, QA. I kinda think that's what we're 'sposed to sorta shoot for as humans of any kind.

johnboy
02-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Tx QA. I may not be religious but that doesn't mean I'm not spiritual. I truly believe that 'religion' (and I'm not sure what that word actually means) comes from within, not without. I believe that people innately know what is right or wrong but sometimes get swayed in the wrong direction by those with loud voices.

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Tx QA. I may not be religious but that doesn't mean I'm not spiritual. I truly believe that 'religion' (and I'm not sure what that word actually means) comes from within, not without. I believe that people innately know what is right or wrong but sometimes get swayed in the wrong direction by those with loud voices.

You're about the fifth person that has given me that definition of their spiritual beliefs his year. I agree with what you said but would add that people generally also do want laws to govern ourselves and that those laws be based on an ethical code.
That's prolly where shit meets fan most often.
BKB

LJ3
02-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Good point BBP. I read a book called The Righteous Mind: Why people argue about politics and religion.

One of the more eye opening points made is that within a socail group, shame is quite often one of the top considerations within most, if not all, "groupings" of beings. I think religion plays in to that, for better or worse.

I found this a great book and gained a much better understanding of why I disagree with people and they disagree with me.

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488315627&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=why+people+argue+politics+and+religion

quercus alba
02-28-2017, 05:06 PM
It's easier to have others make ethical and moral decisions for you than it is to make them for yourself every time a delema comes along. Gives you a security blanket to hide under and takes away personal responsibility

BarryBobPosthole
02-28-2017, 05:14 PM
LJ I'll check out that book. I just added about ten books to my reading pile this week though and it might be a while!

So here's a poser. If we didn't have laws against theft, how much more or less theft do you think there would be?

I am likely in the minority here but I don't think tough DWI laws do much to prevent drunk driving deaths. So I think we need to consider taking a different approach. The same way I think its stupid to have seat belt laws. (Hombre will like that one) Those are just two things I think wouldn't change much at all. And i always wear my seat belt and don'tever drive drunk. Over the legal limit maybe, but not drunk. And they are two different things.
BKb

BKb

DeputyDog
02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
That ain't a religion it's a cult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
02-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Some people can be brainwashed more easily than others....

LJ3
02-28-2017, 07:46 PM
It's not brainwashing when it's indoctrination starting from pre-school age.

airbud7
02-28-2017, 08:13 PM
I don't feel like measuring the space between indoctrination and brainwashing tonight....

How old are these people?

LJ3
02-28-2017, 08:47 PM
I feel ya :)

No idea how old they are. i was making a very general comment on Religious indoctrination that some religions implement.

airbud7
02-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Heck I went to church every sunday with my grand dad (miss him alot) but I later found out the people were more like these folk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU

:D

Captain
03-01-2017, 09:09 AM
If we are suppose to accept gays, bi and transsexuals to the point of passing special laws why should this but wrong??
Probably because it's done under a religious context. If it was against religion it would Be OK....

BarryBobPosthole
03-01-2017, 09:48 AM
I suppose whether you accept them or not is still up to you. What the law prohibits is discriminating against them in hiring, pay, and so forth.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying in regards to religion.

The topic of discrimination is getting more sensitive instead of less. "Neurological Impairment" is one of the topics I've heard discussed most recently. Its a difficult one to figure out, at least for me it is. I'm sure there are plenty of already pat answers out there already for it.

BKB

Captain
03-01-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm saying any group or individual that comes up with some weirdness that is out of the norm as long as it's not associated with religion is put into some protected class and we are told it is OK for them to be that way. And we need to pass laws that protect their right to marry goats, Camels or grasshoppers, pee in whatever bathroom they identify with that day, get them on Oprah, ETC...
But if a religious group comes up with some off the wall weirdness they are labeled regliois zelots and bashed.
There is a difference, just because you can't see it don't mean it ain't there.

Captain
03-01-2017, 10:23 AM

BarryBobPosthole
03-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Okay I follow you. I was in business for a long time and to be honest I never ran across any people like that complaining they couldn't get work. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

The bathroom shit baffles me. I've also been pissing and crapping in public places for 62 years and I've yet to see anyone cause a commotion in the john over their sex parts. I generally read the latest graffiti so I DON'T have to accidently see another person's sex part(s). I've also used communal unisex bathrooms my whole life, otherwise known as porta potties and never seen an issue. Why we need laws either way completely stupefies me. We actually need a law to tell people where they may defecate. Interesting times.

On the discrimination front, I have seen it in action in the workplace and its ugly. I've also seen the other side, where a very poor performing part time employee sued the company because we didn't hire her at the end of her 90 day probation period, because of religious discrimination she said. She had a supervisor from another department that backed her story up. The vice president of HR decided to fight instead of settle. My wife was in the middle of it at the time as director of that business unit. I saw what she and others went through in that case. PTL paid for the lady's legal expenses. Bottom line was,
and I saw this first hand, there was no discrimination whatsoever. The lady was hired as a temp, sucked at her job, and wasn't retained. She lost her case, the company won, but several hundred thousand dollars was spent defending it because we had an hr vp that had a set of cojones. Nine times out of ten that I saw anything like that come up, they settled. And the 'victim' and their attorneys walked away with a few thousand bucks.
So all that to say, I don't have much faith that discrimination laws actually prevent discrimination. The training that good companies provide their employees to avoid running afoul of the laws do prevent it from happening a good bit of the time. So what I'm saying is without the laws companies likely wouldn't put the effort into the training. So what do we do?

BKb

Thumper
03-01-2017, 10:44 AM
I'm saying any group or individual that comes up with some weirdness that is out of the norm as long as it's not associated with religion is put into some protected class and we are told it is OK for them to be that way ..... But if a religious group comes up with some off the wall weirdness they are labeled regliois zelots and bashed.

Ha! Yeah, I can see your tunnel vision ....

Here are a few mighty fine "religions" ... Surely we'd never want to call them "religious zealots"!

Heaven's Gate, The People's Temple (how could we forget Jim Jones?), Branch Davidians (way to go David!), Order of the Solar Temple, Children of God, Aum Shinrikyo, The Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God, The Ku Klux Klan (yes, they're extremist Christians), The Unification Church and the good ol' Church of Scientology.

Of course, those just scratch the surface, but aren't they all "associated with religion?"

LJ3
03-01-2017, 11:26 AM
The bathroom shit baffles me. I've also been pissing and crapping in public places for 62 years and I've yet to see anyone cause a commotion in the john over their sex parts. I generally read the latest graffiti so I DON'T have to accidently see another person's sex part(s). I've also used communal unisex bathrooms my whole life, otherwise known as porta potties and never seen an issue. Why we need laws either way completely stupefies me. We actually need a law to tell people where they may defecate. Interesting times.

BKb

Wait. Hold on. You crap in public? I feel like I dont' even know you man.

Thumper
03-01-2017, 12:03 PM
I remember as a kid, my dad's gas station had two bathrooms ... one door was marked "Whites Only" and the other was marked "Colored". Dad wasn't really racist ... all businesses did that back in the day. It didn't mention men, women or LGBT's.

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2015/11/8.jpg

LJ3
03-01-2017, 01:47 PM
I'd prefer the rooms to be labelled "slobs" and "Clean people"

I swear... even at my office, an allegedly civilized place with civilized people; more than half the time there is piss and crap visible on urinals and toilets and the cleaning staff comes thru at least 3 times a day!

quercus alba
03-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Don't forget the crusades jimbo

Captain
03-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Don't forget the crusades jimbo
He won't forget, he was there... probably happened right down the road from where he lived, I'm sure he probably knew some of the main players and use to service their cars.... ;)

quercus alba
03-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Don't beat around the bush Cap, whut you trying to say?

Big Muddy
03-01-2017, 02:43 PM
"""""He won't forget, he was there... probably happened right down the road from where he lived, I'm sure he probably knew some of the main players and use to service their donkeys and camels.""""" ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Thump servicing a donkey or a camel is a visual I just didn't need today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper
03-01-2017, 03:49 PM
One good thing about this place is there's NEVER a shortage of tall stools. So why don't youse dufes go grab a few?

airbud7
03-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Thump servicing a donkey or a camel is a visual I just didn't need today.

hahahahaha........me neither!