PDA

View Full Version : Well.... "duh".

HideHunter
03-02-2017, 02:54 PM
This is me shaking my head.. Another post where, were I *smart* enough to keep my mouth shut, people wouldn't know how *dumb* I am.. Got a dirt-cheap deal on a Diawa Millionare baitcaster last year. Spooled it up with 60# braid and took it fishing. I was really pretty impressed with how smooth it was.. cast like a dream.

Second trip out, I noticed the drag was slipping.. didn't seem to make any difference how much I tightened it down. When I got home I looked it up on the WWW (thanks Al) and saw the drag was definitely viewed as the weak point on this reel. Grumbled a little and tossed it in the "junk" drawer.

Fast forward to about and hour ago. I ran across it and decided to tear it apart. Before I did, I tightened the drag and pulled on the line.. Pretty much nothing.. Then... somehow - I noticed it didn't look as though the spool was turning.. Long story short.. the line was slipping on the spool.. 60+ years of fishing.. never saw it before... This getting old is going to be a real inconvenience. :banghead

Egghead
03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Been there, seen that. I always spool some "backing" line, even if it is older/left on from prior usage. Doesn't take a whole lot, and I am guessing it is more important the smaller the diameter of the spool.

Big deal for me is that I will soon need longer arms to see how to tie a knot!

HideHunter
03-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Yep, Egg.. I think that's why I've never run into it before. I almost always keep some old mono around for backing. I used a couple wraps of black tape.. Presto - new drag.

I certainly know what you mean about the longer arms. With the whole detached retina thing - I lost my "up close" vision. I went from being able to tie 2# line on an ice jig to can't tie 60# braid without cheaters.. all in a couple weeks.. fun

airbud7
03-02-2017, 04:03 PM
This getting old is going to be a real inconvenience. :banghead

agree...heck whenever I need a phillips head screwdriver I always find a 10 flats first (or vice versa)...:banghead

Edit: and what good is a 9mm wrench!....never seen a bolt for it in my 53 years.....:angry1

Big Skyz
03-02-2017, 05:12 PM
This would be a whole lot more funny if I couldn't relate.

BarryBobPosthole
03-02-2017, 05:53 PM
But that was a happy ending!

I put some backing on my reels too usually. And I've had some fish at Dogtooth, specifically a 39 inch pikey, take me all the way to the backing before I could get it turned. But I use 30#\8# dia braid and a 6 or 8# leader so my drag is prolly set a little looser than what you need to.

I hadn't thought about the tape thing. g

BKB