PDA

View Full Version : Oh man! This really, really, REALLY sucks.

Thumper
03-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Back in the military days, there was a small group of us who were extremely close ... and have remained close for 46 years now! Not a day goes by that we don't speak ... either text, phone or e-mail. We're quite diverse and between us, we managed to watch each others backs when things got a bit sticky. Four of us were Mil. Intel. ... the other was a Navy SEAL.

Now, the one Intel. dude was S.F. (Green Beret) and lives in California. A couple years ago, we both flew to Texas and spent a week at our other buddy's place. While in Intel, my Texas buddy flew our little "spy plane" and (for example), if I needed a fix on any of my targets, he'd be on the crew to get in the air and triangulate the target. This is the guy this post is about. (sorry, I'm being very vague here because I just don't want to get too detailed)

Back to my Texas buddy. After the stint with Intel, he went into law enforcement and became a prison guard. He'd done that for many years, then had a catastrophic injury (lost both his feet and most of his fingers), so he's been on disability for 10 years or so. He was a true cowboy before the military and was very active on the bull riding circuit. He (was) a pretty tough dude and even with his disabilities, you don't want to piss him off!

Well, to get to the point of this "Thump post", I haven't been able to reach him lately. My buddies said it's been the same with them .. it's like he just vanished. Ok, I called his ex-bil and got the shock of my life! My bud is in jail awaiting trial. From the sounds of it, he could very easily spend the rest of his life in prison! (I sure hope they don't put him in the same prison he worked at for so many years!)

Again, I'm trying hard not to go into detail here, but it all started when he was in town and spotted his 15 yr. old granddaughter riding around with a black dude (who turned out to be her boyfriend). That didn't go over so well with my old redneck, gun-totin' cowboy, native Texan buddy. A shouting match ensued between he, his g-daughter and the boyfriend. Needless to say, things went bad ... real fast. That's just the tip of the iceberg, but it's about as detailed as I'm willing to get at this point. After talking to everyone I know who has knowledge of the case, (I also have an "in" with the lead detective on the case and have been filled in on a LOT of details) ... it seems like the evidence against him is overwhelming and it doesn't look good at all.

We've always had an oath of sorts ... we promised to remain "brothers" no matter the circumstances ... and we will. The others feel the same. I have tried to write him a half dozen times, but I always delete it. I just can't seem to get a good start. I don't want to discuss the case at all (I know everything going in and out is read by the authorities), but I feel kind of weird writing b/s like, "Hey buddy ... how ya' doin' today?"

I'll get it together eventually and let him know I love him and will always be there for him ... no matter what ... but I'm having a real tough time absorbing all this. He's a GOOD guy ... he really is ... but I think he just pulled the major fuck-up of his life.

Sorry for rambling ... but I just needed to get this off my chest. :(

Big Muddy
03-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Day'um, Thump, sorry your buddy has hit a rough patch....and, for what it's worth, I wouldn't have any idea what to say to him, either.

Captain
03-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear about that Thumper. Looks like he has allowed his emotions to rob him of the freedom he fought for.
Bad situation all around.

Arty
03-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a sad situation for sure.
One of the heat of the moment type things you can never take back.

LJ3
03-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Dang... tough duty right there. I'm certainly in no place to judge your buddy but I'm sure (at least hope) he's got some serious regret going on.

For communicating with him? I'd go with dark humor. It prolly don't get much darker than where he is right now so ya never know.

Sounds like a pretty bad situation. Not only has he done something he's gonna sit in the jimmy for, he's most likely damaged his relationship with his daughter and lord knows who else.

Sorry.

BarryBobPosthole
03-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear it Jim.

Just FYi, standing by a friend when they make a bad call doesn't mean you condone it, it just means you know what a real friend is.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
"Dark" humor, get it?

Dang... tough duty right there. I'm certainly in no place to judge your buddy but I'm sure (at least hope) he's got some serious regret going on.

For communicating with him? I'd go with dark humor. It prolly don't get much darker than where he is right now so ya never know.

Sounds like a pretty bad situation. Not only has he done something he's gonna sit in the jimmy for, he's most likely damaged his relationship with his daughter and lord knows who else.

Sorry.

HideHunter
03-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Tough deal.. sorry to hear it.

Thumper
03-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Just FYi, standing by a friend when they make a bad call doesn't mean you condone it, it just means you know what a real friend is.

Truer words were never spoken Barry, thanks.

We've had a bond that I don't think could ever be broken ... no matter how appalling the situation may be. I'm also pretty ignorant of the workings of the law. He lives on Social Security, but I've studied up a bit and found that SS is not paid if one is in prison. He lives by himself, but he has a house (trailer), dogs, a couple horses, about 15-20 acres of (crappy) property, tractor, truck, etc, etc. I don't know what will happen with everything. He lives way out in the boonies miles from a tiny town, so it's not like family can take care of the place (they all have jobs, families, etc). His house is full of guns (he was quite the collector, plus he inherited his dad's collection years ago) along with all his personal possessions. If he has zero income, he can't pay his property taxes or maintenance on the place, etc. I have no idea what happens with his dogs and livestock. To be honest, I've never in my life personally known anybody who went to prison and this is all totally foreign to me. There are so many questions. Part of the letter I want to write will be to ask if there's anything I can do to help (I'd head to Texas and handle what I could for him, but that's no permanent fix ... my bud in California said he'd head out and meet me there also, if I decide to go) He has a $250,000 bond, so there's really nothing I can do there. He lives paycheck to paycheck and has no savings. If he does go to prison (and right now, I see no way that won't happen), my buds and I have no problem sending a little $$$ to his commissary account. His two young sons are devastated (they were extremely close) and can barely function. They are good students, but have missed a couple weeks of school. They're now with their mom (she and my bud are divorced). This whole thing is so surreal I just can't quite get my head wrapped around it. :(

LJ3
03-07-2017, 12:22 PM
"Dark" humor, get it?

S'what I'm talkin' 'bout mah nizzle!

LJ3
03-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Jimmy, I know you can't give a ton of details but from what I know of PTSD. There very well could be a viable defense to be made for your buddy if he had a good lawyer. A voluntary manslaughter charge is a fuck ton better than 1st degree.

Arty
03-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Jimmy, I know you can't give a ton of details but from what I know of PTSD. There very well could be a viable defense to be made for your buddy if he had a good lawyer. A voluntary manslaughter charge is a fuck ton better than 1st degree.

Is that more or less than a metric ton?

LJ3
03-07-2017, 03:04 PM
it's way fuckin' more. Dufus.

LJ3
03-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Any updates Jimmy? Have you been able to contact your buddy?

Thumper
03-08-2017, 02:44 PM
No direct contact, just people close to the mess. His ex-BIL will be calling me tonight with any updates. He's my "inside" contact with the lead investigator. (they're close friends)

TBH .... this is tearing me apart personally. I know the "REAL" guy ... I do NOT know the guy who's in jail right now. I just have to keep the "real" one in mind and try to block out the other one. It's tough duty. :(

LJ3
03-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Man.... really though, that sure sounds like some legitimate PTSD or dissociation disorder testimony.