PDA

View Full Version : Drawing the line on friendship

LJ3
03-07-2017, 03:11 PM
BBP's comment on Jimmy supporting his friend no matter what. Remaining their friend, staying in contact, trying to be supportive, etc. got me to thinking.

I realized there are some things that would have me terminate a friendship RF there if they occurred. With Jimmy's buddy, I would still let him know I was his friend.

My list of things I would terminate a friendship for (that I've thought thru, so far):

Pedophelia - no excuses, you're done.
Cheating with my wife - You're both gone.
(serious) Theft from me - Judgement call. If you had a deeper problem that was driving the theft, I may keep you around. If you stole my lighter when you were drunk so you could blow the walleye whistle with a hot girl, I'll be ok :)

I just thought it was in interesting question.

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2017, 03:22 PM
As the years roll on by there times you have to make that call. And I'm glad you pointed out that even in the best of friendships, there are deal breakers. And again, regardless what others may think of your choice its yours to make. Us effers won't be dealing with the consequences. We'll just be dealing with our own choices after seeing yours. (tongue firmly in cheek)
Put that in your walleye whistle and smoke it!

BKb

LJ3
03-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Can't argue with that. I was at a big ass keg party with my best friend back then and girlfriend (soon to be first wife) in my 20's... they started arguing about something and before you know it he pushes her to the ground and yells at her. I flat out knocked him unconscious more from reflex than anything else. He apologized and we remained friends. Last October he drove 10 hours thru really bad weather to come to my Moms funeral. Would not take no for an answer. I'm glad we're still friends even though we really don't talke too much.

So... don't be too hasty with your friend decisions. He's still standing and my girlfriend is my ex-wife :)

quercus alba
03-07-2017, 03:36 PM
A friend who makes a pass at my wife is gone. When a man does that he's showing you what he thinks of your friendship.

Thumper
03-07-2017, 04:50 PM
I have a buddy who, if a friend hit on his wife, he'd prolly give the guy enough cash for a couple tanks of gas (to take her as far away as possible!). ;)

DeputyDog
03-07-2017, 05:54 PM
To make a long story short, and not make this a Thump post, I'll just say that I have a friend who ended up a heroin addict. He has done some really stupid things because of the addiction including stealing some little things from me.

He's really working hard on his recovery so I can't write him off. Mainly because I know what kind of person he is without the drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Skyz
03-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Harm my family and you will quickly find there are things I'm willing to go to prison or die for.
Pedophelia-zero tolerance from me.
Rape-same as Pedophelia.
Intentionally betray my trust and you will be written off.

My list of friends is long and diverse, but my list of very close friends, that I completely trust, is very short. With that said, I'm very loyal to that short list. I can't imagine anyone on that short list ever doing any of the things I listed above, but if the unthinkable should occur it would end very ugly.

quercus alba
03-07-2017, 09:32 PM
I have family, co workers and associates, not sure about friends. I like to keep people at arms length. best thing about the Internet, it's impersonal

Arty
03-07-2017, 10:33 PM
I think I'm in agreement with most of everyone else.
My wife and I had friends a long time ago that wanted us to swing with them.
We ended that relationship shortly after we declined their request.
To this day it's one of the weirdest conversations I've ever been a part of. We'd known these people for a couple of years and spent countless hours doing things together with their kids and ours. Then outta the blue they "pop the question" on us. We were absolutely stunned. Perhaps we just aren't good at picking up vibes. I honestly dunno.
Can't put into words how it made us feel. I couldn't look at them in the eyes after that. Just weird!
Plus the wife in that situation was a beast. Looked sorta like thump with bigger boobs.

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2017, 10:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170308/b090b6039e75806651ab25eccbe9716a.jpg

LJ3
03-08-2017, 10:08 AM
To make a long story short, and not make this a Thump post, I'll just say that I have a friend who ended up a heroin addict. He has done some really stupid things because of the addiction including stealing some little things from me.

He's really working hard on his recovery so I can't write him off. Mainly because I know what kind of person he is without the drugs.

I've been down that road too, DD. My friend wasn't able to turn himself around and I eventually had to make the call the end the friendship. I still wonder if he made it from time to time but it sure as hell didn't seem like he was going to when I knew him.