PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Done This?

BarryBobPosthole
03-10-2017, 08:33 AM

As for me, yes, unfortunately probably more times than I'd care to remember. I took a party boat out of Clearwater, Fl once where we were underway like five hours out to the edge of the continental shelf, fished an hour or so, and then rode back five hours. With fifty effing other fishermen. I think the operators might've brought along two cases of beer. It was gone by 8:00 AM. And I paid for this trip. When the boat would stop, they'd yell 'Rods ready!' and everyone in their little effing space would hold their rods out straight over the side of the boat, and then they'd yell "Drop 'em' or some such nonsense and you'd release the spool and drop whatever it was they'd baited it with, I don't even remember, to the bottom, a humdred feet down. Then up three cranks and stop. My buddy hooked a big bonito and it wrapped every line from him on back, bled like a stuck hog, attracted sharks, and fucked up the entire spot so we had to move. It was a horrible excuse for fishing. People effing loved it.

And that ain't the only time I've fished elbow to elbow with others and they were about as much fun. Seemed like a Friday topic.

BKB

airbud7
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
seine net comes to mind

DeputyDog
03-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Ice fishing tends to get that way a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Egghead
03-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Looks similar to opening day of trout season around here. BTDT, and also head boats on the lower Chesapeake are similar to what you describe, but a shorter trip and shallower water - and it can be flat calm and there are always 1 or two who spend the whole time in a corner hurling.

BarryBobPosthole
03-10-2017, 09:27 AM
One of the things we have here that seems to be a regional thing is heated crappie docks. They'll put a building on the end of a dock that has a big square hole cut in the middle, sink a few brushpiles under it, install a heater and some old movie theater chair usually, and charge a few bucks a head to go sit and fish with ten other people for five inch crappies. Yes I've done it. It beats fondling your rods at the house. Barely.
But like all thosedeals, there are little local rules of ettiquette you have to learn and observe. And everybody knows everybody else except for you. They are an eclectic bunch of guys usually.

BKB

LJ3
03-10-2017, 09:37 AM
I've gone on head boats before but with the expectation that it's a shit show so I actually had fun. And they were "bring your own drink" boats so my beer supply was good. Sounds like your experience was diffurnt.

Sunshine
03-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Went out on one, and when we crossed the reef, I pucked my guts out.

Got horribly sea sick, but I caught my limit.

Once we got to the fish, no one wanted to be beside me!! LOL

I puked so much, it was great chum, and attracted lots of fish!!

Captain said he'd never seen a woman so sea sick and still kept fishing!

I've never gone again!

Not fair I get so sick, because I love to fish, and if swells are over 3 feet you can bet I'm puking!

I even took dramamine, had patch things behind my ears and the wrist things on. :( Didn't help.

LJ3
03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
I never know if I'll get sick or not so just take a Dramamine in case. Makes me tired as all hell but once I get past that I'm ok.

johnboy
03-10-2017, 03:38 PM
The group charter boats out of the Island west coast ports are generally referred to as "puke boats" for good reason. Big rolling swells even on a calm day. Add a little wind chop or get sideways and it's an instant recipe for sea sickness if you have the slightest inclination. I've been pretty lucky in not getting sick but it's never a guarantee.

Arty
03-10-2017, 05:08 PM
I never know if I'll get sick or not so just take a Dramamine in case. Makes me tired as all hell but once I get past that I'm ok.
You can take it the night before and sleep that part out of it. And it'll still work the next day to keep you from getting sick

BarryBobPosthole
03-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Or you could be a big pussy and puke all over the place.

BKB

LJ3
03-10-2017, 06:34 PM
You can take it the night before and sleep that part out of it. And it'll still work the next day to keep you from getting sick

I did NOT know that! I'll try it next time.

And Posthole, smoke my hog!

Trav
03-10-2017, 06:43 PM
You rember all those Folks on that boat in Kuaui? Everyone of those fuckers were puking.

BarryBobPosthole
03-10-2017, 06:47 PM
The puking Asians. I remember them well.

BKb

Thumper
03-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Luckily I've never been seasick, but I've been around plenty of people who have. From what I've seen, I hope I NEVER get seasick as they were more than miserable. I guess the worst part about it is you can't get away from what's making you sick! Lynn gets seasick easily and always uses "the patch" on cruises ... just in case.

BarryBobPosthole
03-10-2017, 10:01 PM
I used to get car sick as a kid but grew out of around age 12. Since then, I'm pretty impervious to it and I've been on some dive boats that pitched 6-8 feet, knock wood. You should try grabbing ahold of a ladder from below when they're pitching like that. Grab on and go for a ride. My wife gets a touch of it if I don't remind her to stare at the horizon. Of course when its really rough on the ocean you sometimes can't see the damned horizon. those little accupressure beads you wear on your wrist seem to help her.

BKB