PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mountain to close 32 stores after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

airbud7
03-11-2017, 08:00 PM
The outdoor retailer, which operates 162 stores in 26 states, will shutter 32 "underperforming" stores "in the next several weeks," according to a statement. The company is apparently also putting itself up for sale.

our local augusta store gets the axe/

Chicken Dinner
03-12-2017, 03:35 PM
I get a ton of emails from them, but the prices never seemed all that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HideHunter
03-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Brand new one opening in Cedar Rapids, IA. They are moving things from the old store as we speak.

airbud7
03-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Here is the full list of stores slated for closing:

Alabama - Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa
Georgia - Augusta, McDonough, Snellville
Illinois - Champaign, Algonquin, Springfield
Indiana - Merrillville, Greenfield
Minnesota - Rogers, Mankato, Woodbury
New York - New Hartford
North Carolina - Raleigh, South Charlotte
Tennessee - Chattanooga
Texas - Houston, Killeen, Laredo, Lubbock, Round Rock, San Antonio, Sugar Land, Texarkana, Waco, West Houston
West Virginia - Charleston
Wisconsin - Eau Claire, Germantown

DeputyDog
03-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Neither of the Indiana ones that are closing are surprising. Both are relatively close to a Cabelas. Not one of the big stores but still, it's a Cabelas vs. Gander Mtn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nandy
03-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Gander mountain is pretty much useless, I cant believe it still open. BAck in the day when I was living in the island I did order from them a few times but they are no match to the other outdoors stores. I hate for the people that are loosing their jobs but I wont be missing the store, heck, I did not even knew they have one in charlotte.

LJ3
03-14-2017, 06:29 AM
I have two gander Mountains I hit every once in a while. They're not bad. They're no cabelas/BPS but I don't expect them to be. Both Va stores look like they're staying open. They're smartly located in redneck epicenters so I think they'll be OK.

BarryBobPosthole
03-14-2017, 08:36 AM
I've never stepped inside of one. There's one in northern Minneapolis that I pass by on the way to Dogtooth that I've been aiming to stop at. If it ain't on the closure list I might have to remedy that this year. My problem is I'm in too big of an all fired hurry when I'm coming and going on that trip.

BKb

Thumper
03-14-2017, 08:44 AM
We only have 7 or 8 of them in the state and I live between two of them as there's one in both Tampa and Orlando. I've never been in one personally, although I used to get their catalogs in the mail.

HideHunter
03-14-2017, 09:27 AM
I have been in search of a spinning rod to replace (if it comes to that- still using it) my *old* (25 years +) G Loomis light action. This is my "panfish" rod for thowing jigs, etc.. I've never been a huge fan of ultralights because they just don't seem to have the "feel" I'm looking for in detecting strikes and setting the hook. I have bought - well let's say "several" in the past several years.. My fishing buddy and his wife each have the "new" Loomis and I can tell you - that ain't it. They are a joke. I bought two St Croix (s?) .. vastly overrated. A Scheel's .. just as well have an fiberglass Eagle Claw.. These are all $100 - 200+ dollar rods.

A year ago I stumbled into a Gander and they had their "Tournament Rod (Light 60)" regularly 80 bucks on sale for $59 and they threw in a reel. I used it once and was immediately impressed. Here's the kicker. Been going to buy the wife a better rod so, we were fishing a friend's farm pond one day. I had the new Loomis, the Scheels, one of the St Croix and the Gander all there. Told the wife to fish with each. At the end of the afternoon I ask her which one she liked. She picked the Gander without hesitation. .. and I'm sure she didn't even know "why" - but I did.

Anyway, we now own two. Bought a lifetime warranty for 2 bucks. Actually I probably should buy another and put it away before they "change them for the *better*. (Me rolling my eyes).. So, I can't speak to any of their other rods.. but that Tournament 60 is a sweetheart.

BarryBobPosthole
03-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Usually when I find something like that and start liking it, the company stops making it.

BKB (channeling QA)

HunterEd
03-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Hiring and tax incentives ran out so it's time to close the doors! I worked at one for a while before the Rochester NY store opened and for around a year after wards. It was different, got me out of the boiler room & beat sitting around after hunting season was over.
I knew then they had WAYYY to much stock. Didn't help having a Dick's & Field & Stream across the street.

I remember walking in one day to the firearms area and saw a pallet of Muzzle loader round ball sitting on the floor. I told the manager those will never sell at $10.00 a box. A few weeks later the price dropped , dropped again and finally hit $5.00 per box. So I grabbed 2 cases and sold them at the ML shoot that weekend.

A few weeks alter I wandered in on my way home from a clays shoot and the price was $2.00 per box! I took 20 cases and returned the next day for a full pick up truck load cleaning them out.
Price was $2.00 , If you purchased in case lots another 10% off and my employee discount.

I had the NY market flooded for a few months with $5.00 per box of 50 cal round ball.