PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cap and other deplorable turkey hunters....

Big Muddy
03-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Our turkey season opens tomorrow, and I was really looking forward to trying out my new lease....we rarely ever have this cold weather for turkey season, but the wind chill is suppose to be 22 degrees and blustery north winds in the morning.

I hunted turkeys in Licking, Missouri several years ago, in the exact same type cold weather and wind, and never saw a feather for 3 straight days.

I just can't see fighting that kinda weather, again, when it's doubtful the tom's would even budge, even if they could hear me calling, over the dang wind.

I mean, even MY bedoinker gets stiff in a little cold weather, but at 22 degrees I'd think those tom's might wanna just snuggle up to a couple of hens, and stay warm.

Whatcha think???

Big Skyz
03-14-2017, 04:23 PM
BM, I don't know what they do down there, but up here when it gets cold they go on a major feeding binge but usually try to find the easiest feed available that expends the least amount of energy to obtain. They key in on cattle feed lots and feeders (if feeders are legal and used in your area). The cold really zaps their metabolism and they have to eat more just to keep warm enough to survive. Up here if it's cold for a few days the turkey hunting doesn't get much easier. It's almost like going to the store and picking which bird you want because there is 100% they'll be on the feed lots.

Big Muddy
03-14-2017, 04:53 PM
That makes perfect sense, Sky....even though baiting isn't legal, down here, the landowner is a cattle rancher, so I guess I might just "happen upon" his feed troughs, and find a nearby tree to sit under. ;)

Bwana
03-14-2017, 06:06 PM
If you've got cattle in the area, the turkeys will be on grain cleanup duty wherever there is cow dudy.

Bwana
03-14-2017, 06:06 PM
P.S.
Don't shoot a cow, that gets costly. ;)

Big Muddy
03-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Ha, old tough cow meat isn't on my agenda....a nice young tender 200 lb. heifer is another matter ;)....nah, couldn't do that....this landowner is the type to shoot-on-sight. ;)

LJ3
03-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Cap'n don't know nuttin' about turkey huntin'. Heck... he don't even LIKE it.

Big Muddy
03-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Cap'n don't know nuttin' about turkey huntin'. Heck... he don't even LIKE it.

Yep....I heard that the buzzards and crows really come running, when he's yelping on his caller. ;)

Captain
03-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Bite me, I've killed more turkeys by accident than most people will ever see...
They will still travel under those conditions In my area Muddy, but they usually Shut up and don't gobble.
They also like to travel in open areas when it's bad windy because everything is moving around in the woods and they are major spooky this time of year.
I've actually shot them in the snow in the mountains...
Wish I had known I would have made the run out your way and called for you.
In need to put tracks in the mud down your way anyway.

Big Muddy
03-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Cap, that's exactly what I've observed, also....still don't know if I'm gonna fight with 'em, tomorrow, or just wait 'til it warms up a bit, and hunt 'em under normal spring weather conditions....to me, it's mostly about getting those bad boys to gobble back at me, and I just don't think they'll be vocal, in this weather....if I had known it was gonna turn into Christmas weather, I dang sure woulda called ya.....matter of fact, this is the coldest weather we've had all winter.

Captain
03-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Use a box call in high wind. It carries a lot better than a mouth call or slate.
About the only chance you got to call them in the wind. Watch for them because more times than not they will come in quiet.

Trav
03-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Our season starts April 6th so we are a few weeks out.

Nandy
03-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Cap, what I reallywant to know is how much is your calling fee! Lol!

Captain
03-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Nothing for you Nandy. You got somewhere with birds????

Big Muddy
03-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Nothing for you Nandy. You got somewhere with birds????

Somehow, I just KNEW that was gonna be Cap's response. ;)

(Nandy, tell him you know where there's tons of birds, living in somebody's backyard in Bumfokk, Egypt....I bet he'd say, "No problem, what's the address???) ;)

HideHunter
03-15-2017, 08:57 AM
11 degrees here this morning. there was on gobbling across the river.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Our turkeys don't gobble until it gets warm. Until then, they goggle. Do you have a goggler call Captain?

BKB

Nandy
03-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Cappy, I'm not sure I could make it happen. Either im at the job or I have my son with me. While at deer i just leave him in the car close enough so I can see him but turkey hunting is much too dynamic for me to leave him in the car. Only chance would be an evening hunt. Wife is not really willing to babysit for me so I can go hunting or fishing.

Thumper
03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Our turkeys don't gobble until it gets warm. Until then, they goggle. Do you have a goggler call Captain? BKB

I think he loaned it to Sunny for those left-coast gogglers. ;)