PDA

View Full Version : Some say I'm a heretic for this opinion

LJ3
03-15-2017, 10:35 AM
But I think The Beatles are the most overrated band in the history of music.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Dumbass maybe, but not heretic.

I've always thought there were bands as good or or better. The Hollies for one. Buffalo Springfield for another, although a couple of years later. David Bowie challenged them all.
But I always looked at those one or two others as underrated rather than the Beatles being overrated.

One difference, for the most part rock and roll bands of that era played rock and roll. The great ones played music and their music covered a wide range of genres.

BKb

LJ3
03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
McCartney was the only talented one in the bunch. The rest of them hung off his coattails. Lennon was seriously untalented. He's a good example of someone being told how awesome they are every hour of every day and coming to believe it to be true. Harrison was OK.

Agree on those other bands, though. A case could be made for tons of underrated bands, though. The key ingredient missing would be pop appeal as I'm sure you aware since a lot of the music you and CD listen sounds like music to kill yourself by.

I believe we're even now :)

Thumper
03-15-2017, 11:26 AM
I liked the early Beetles ... but totally lost interest in their music somewhere around the Sgt. Pepper era.

quercus alba
03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
I always thought Pink Floyd and The Stones fell in that same category with the Beatles. I'm probably the only white boy south of the Mason Dixon line that doesn't like Freebird by Skynard

LJ3
03-15-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm south of the line and I don't like Freebird, either. I do like Skynyrd though.

quercus alba
03-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Gimme Three Steps is their best

Big Skyz
03-15-2017, 11:51 AM
One thing the Beatles did that very few, if any other bands have done, is that every single member of that band has had a successful solo career as well. The Eagles are probably the only other band that comes close in that regard.

Chicken Dinner
03-15-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm with you a 100%. I will listen to them more now than I ever used to. But, they never floated my boat at all during my formative years.

LJ3
03-15-2017, 12:23 PM
One thing the Beatles did that very few, if any other bands have done, is that every single member of that band has had a successful solo career as well. The Eagles are probably the only other band that comes close in that regard.

I agree. McCartney is the only one that SHOULD have had a career :)

Big Skyz
03-15-2017, 12:36 PM
While I agree McCartney is the most talented in the band, there are countless individuals from famous bands that never made it, when they tried to go solo. Like the Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Aero Smith. So saying that the other three in the Beatles only made it because of the bands fame doesn't totally wash.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Y'all can dis John all you want, but he had the best rock and roll voice ever. EVER. And he was a talented musician as well.

My favorite Beatle is George Harrison and always has been. I much preferred his musical work in The Traveling Wilburys to his stuff in the Beatles. More mature sound and music. And speaking of rock and roll voices, did I mention that
Roy Orbison (also of the Wilburys) had the best rock and roll voice of all time? All. Time.

BKB

LJ3
03-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Roy Orbison's voice was NOT rock and roll. It was cool. But not rock and roll. Lennon had a decent voice, I'll give you that. His post Beatles music was hohum, at best.

DeputyDog
03-15-2017, 01:04 PM
It's a shame that the Wilburys had such a short time together. That band was full of talent and they blended together very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airbud7
03-15-2017, 01:25 PM
I always liked Elvis.... my older brother played it all the time...

LJ3
03-15-2017, 01:54 PM
It's a shame that the Wilburys had such a short time together. That band was full of talent and they blended together very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Harrison made a great backup singer! And playing their songs is easy... and it got me chicks, man.

LJ3
03-15-2017, 01:56 PM
While I agree McCartney is the most talented in the band, there are countless individuals from famous bands that never made it, when they tried to go solo. Like the Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Aero Smith. So saying that the other three in the Beatles only made it because of the bands fame doesn't totally wash.

Ringo and George didn't "make it" in my opinion. They were also rans. Glen Frey, Don Henly, Joe Walsh made it. I guess it's all a matter of perception. We like who we like!

Captain
03-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Blasphemy, pure blasphemy

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Ringo and George didn't "make it" in my opinion. They were also rans. Glen Frey, Don Henly, Joe Walsh made it. I guess it's all a matter of perception. We like who we like!

The Eagles are fine I guess. If you're a chick.

BKB

LJ3
03-15-2017, 03:58 PM
I'd rather listen to the Eagles with chicks than Prine at a sausage party. That's about the only place you'll hear that stuff played.

Chicken Dinner
03-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Don't make me whip you!

My favorite "Eagles" album is actually a compilation of country artists covering their stuff called "Common Thread".

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
I'd rather listen to the Eagles with chicks than Prine at a sausage party. That's about the only place you'll hear that stuff played.

Blasphemy!