PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need a new camera.

Bwana
03-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Not really but my Missus told me I am getting one for my birthday/anniversary/Father's Day/Christmas/Festivus or whatever and though she has been trying, she is overwhelmed so either I do it and get what I want, or she will buy one that might not fit the bill. So here I am.

Back in the 35mm film days, I had an SLR that I was quite happy with, except for the $$ I wasted on shots that didn't turn out, and then along came digital photography, kids, and a wife who wanted to "just take a picture." I ended up buying what they call a bridge camera. A digital camera, bigger than a point-and-shoot, pocket camera with a built-in zoom lens. Except for shooting indoor swim meets, something I no longer do, I've been fairly happy with it.

The wife has now acquired an eye for photography but isn't in to messing around with different setting options. My first 35 was an aperture-priority camera so I'm not well versed with setting shutter speeds but I would like that option. In other words, it is time for a DSLR.

I tend to shoot mostly outdoors pictures such as landscapes, wildlife, etc. along with some macro work and pictures of family and friends with the critters they shoot. In addition, there is the occasional shots of the kids or pictures at Christmas time or at birthday parties. So I want both telephoto and up-close capabilities.

That being said, anyone have any suggestions?

I'm guessing a package deal might get me the most bang-for-my-buck, but maybe not. One suggestion I was given was a Nikon D3400.

LJ3
03-15-2017, 11:11 AM
That's where I would steer you. Or the Canon equivalent.

My advice for cameras is like when someone asks me about electric guitars. Go to a shop and try a Nikon and Canon. Whichever interface seems the most intuitive to you, get than one. Sony is also a major player in that market and they actually make most of the sensors for both Nikon and Canon.

Thumper
03-15-2017, 11:11 AM
iPhone 7 :D

Big Skyz
03-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Nikon Coolpix P900 will likely do all you want and more. It also takes very good HD video. I'm seriously thinking of buying one myself and likely will very soon.

Captain
03-15-2017, 12:11 PM
iPhone 7 :D

7-Plus

Thumper
03-15-2017, 12:37 PM
7-Plus

Yep, I have the Plus ... (ya' HAD to get all technical on me!) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 12:44 PM
I have a D3100 and could be happier. I did buy a longer lens for it and swap back and forth as neither is all around perfect for the photos I take with it. That's kind of a pain in the keester.
Probably 90% of images I take though with my phone. Those are usually fish pictures. When I'm on vacation somewhere it seems like I use my go pro more than I do my dslr although I use both a lot.
I think you'll like the Nikon product. Sounds like its an upgrade to my 3100.

BKb

HideHunter
03-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Since I lived, died and never moved, by and without, my old slr.. and I no longer have to attempt to make every picture "magazine quality".. I have opted for smallest I can get - "p.h.d." (Push Here Dummy) - cameras.. I've actually had two given to me because "we use our phones".. I can't tell you how much easier my life would have been 30 years ago had I had access to Google and digital cameras.. These young bucks in the game don't know how good they have it.. oh yeah, "uphill both ways". ;)

Thumper
03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
You forgot "barefoot in the snow". ;)

I got into the 35mm SLR thing in the early 70's ... and even got into buying bulk film, cutting it and doing my own developing.

What a PITA! I'm with HH nowadays ... give me one'a those PHD's. Actually, I use my phone for ALL pics these days. For one thing, it's always with me.

BarryBobPosthole
03-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Speaking of, how much can I get for my old Canon AE-1 Program from the 70's? It was a good camera for its time.
Prolly not worth a nickel.

BKb

LJ3
03-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Bwana, if you can find a Nikon kit with the 18-200mm lens in it, you're golden. That gets great reviews for being a great "walkabout lens" meaning you can shoot stuff all day and never have to switch lenses.

Arty
03-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Speaking of, how much can I get for my old Canon AE-1 Program from the 70's? It was a good camera for its time.
Prolly not worth a nickel.

BKb

$80 or more depending on what you got
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170315/d2c0cd3907b27c1f3285ca9145674e07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trav
03-15-2017, 06:34 PM
I have a Nikon 1 and it's pretty much a combination of a DLSR and a Point and shoot. I really like it and it's pretty idiot proof.

LJ3
03-15-2017, 06:55 PM
I have a Nikon 1 and it's pretty much a combination of a DLSR and a Point and shoot. I really like it and it's pretty idiot proof.

I want one of those!

Trav
03-15-2017, 07:32 PM
I want one of those!

I really like mine and I got a kit that came with 2 lenses, it does almost as much as the DSLR but it's got great auto settings. It seems less intimidating to me. This is what I have8692

Bwana
03-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I do need to get out there and put my hands on a few models to see what they feel like...then I'm going to look at some camera's. [rimshot!] ;)

Big Skyz
03-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Be sure to check out the camera I suggested. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bwana
03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Do you have one BS?

I looked at the P900 as well as a Pentax 5II and Nikon 3400 on Saturday. Pentax lenses are cheaper than the Nikon. I need to go back to look over the P900 again as the battery was dead in the display unit but the fact that is is VERY similar to my Lumix is a plus for the missus.

LJ3
03-20-2017, 03:41 PM
If you're comparing lens prices make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Generally, the price goes up as the aperture number gets lower. Most consumer lenses have variable aperture meaning it likely starts at 3.5 to 5.6 and goes up from there A more capable lens will have a lower number like 2.8 and cost more. The difference is usually ability to shoot with less light among other things but build quality is usually better with 2.8 or lower.

Big Skyz
03-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Bwana we have one here at the school I've been able to use. It's about as close to a "do-all" lens one can get without spending massive amount of money. For the type of work Len creates it wouldn't be a good fit, but for a guy that doesn't want to own a half a dozen lenses it's about perfect. Just for the record Len is a very good photographer that has put in a lot of time to get that way. He continues to impress me year after year.

LJ3
03-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks BS but I totally get it :) my advice is good only if you want a dslr. I think the Nikon 1 like trav has is something I will have eventually! I'd also nudge bwana toward whatever you're using these days. Great images!

Big Skyz
03-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Len, I use a Canon G15 but I don't think that's quite what he is looking for. I almost never need or use a telephoto anymore so the little G15 is a good camera for me and fits right in my fishing vest or hunting day pack.

Bwana
03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
LJ, I am aware of the lower aperture range in the better lens, thanks for the reminder.

As for the P900, I looked at some of the "tests" on Youtube and HOLY CRAP does that camera reach out there and bring things up close!