PDA

View Full Version : Every evening

quercus alba
03-16-2017, 08:48 PM
About an hour before dark, the crows start flying east toward their roost. Tens of thousands of them, maybe over a hundred thousand or more. I've never seen anything like it. Not making a sound, all headed east. They fly high, like ducks. I've been outdoors my whole life and I don't recall ever seeing crows in that number.

Kinda cool but kinda eerie at the same timeline

airbud7
03-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Black birds and Robins just left here....Shit on everything.

BarryBobPosthole
03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
QA, that is very strange. I wonder if anyone else has seen it. From a lifetime of killing about a million of them, well maybe not over a few thousand, I know they are smart effing birds. I also know they are kind of like doves in that there are migrants and there are home boys. They gang up about February and when all our other seasons were closed we'd go murder a few murders. Eoectronic call. fucked them up.
My grandma used to give me a quarter for every crow I would kill out of her pecan trees. I used to hide in the privy and shoot them out the door. until they got educated. Then I'd have to change tactics.
I'm a serial fucking crow killer.
That's why i don't trust them.

BKb

quercus alba
03-16-2017, 09:08 PM
I crippled one while I was duck hunting one day and tied him to one of my decoys. We kilt about 30-35 coming in to that crippled one. I had loaded up some number fours in some of those old Herters non split shot cups. If you could see him he was within range

Ah, those were the days

Captain
03-16-2017, 09:09 PM
A murder of crows! That's a bunch.

quercus alba
03-16-2017, 09:11 PM
It's a mass murder of biblical proportions fly over my house every evening

Captain
03-16-2017, 09:35 PM
You should get some some video of that. Or still pictures at least.

BarryBobPosthole
03-16-2017, 09:35 PM
A first cousin winged a crow once, so he took it home and built a cage for it. He would stake it out and kill crows over it. That was the meanest bird I've ever seen.

BKB

HideHunter
03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
I was quail hunting down in Posthole's country years ago. We were hunting with the "State Fish and Game Prosecutor of the Year" (several times running) and he set us up with different Game Rangers to hunt with everyday. One of the rangers was in charge of a refuge down there that was, at the time, one of the biggest crow roosts in the country. We hunted them one afternoon.. killed a few but they were pretty call-wise. He took us into the refuge one evening to watch them come to roost. He said there was an estimated 3 1/2 million in there. After they all got settled in he said, "Want to see what 3 1/2 million crows look like in the air at one time?" Stuck his service pistol out the window and touched one off.. It was cool... and noisy. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-17-2017, 07:03 AM
That would have been Fort Cobb. Legendary for crow shooting.

But FYI, they' e even effed that up. They started letting hunters shoot them off the roost and in their roosting areas and they either killed off all the crows that migrated there or the crows 'got eddicated' and left. Oklahoma could fuck up a wet dream.

BKb

HideHunter
03-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Didn't know that.. that's a shame.. it was a sight...