PDA

View Full Version : A Bucky like weekend

quercus alba
03-20-2017, 06:53 AM
I was asked to conduct the funeral service for my best BIL Saturday then that night, I came down with the worst case of gout in the history of man. I was physically unable to to get to the car for my wife to take me to the emergency room. Worst pain I've ever experienced. Oxycodone didn't even faze it. Been on crutches ever since. Wife was going to drive me to doc this morning but we got a call at 1:30 am and my son and DIL have contracted a stomach bug and had no one to care for the grand babies. Now I have to try to drive 25 miles with a foot the size of a small pumpkin.
Nevertheless life is still good.

Buckrub, wherever you are you have my sympathy

My doc may not realize it yet but I'm coming home with a xanthine inhibitor

BarryBobPosthole
03-20-2017, 07:23 AM
I have had gout and it is no picnic. I take allopurinol daily and have for several years. I haven't had a serious attack since the day I started taking it. I say 'serious' as I have gotten some arthritis in my ankles and hip. I can't say it is from uric acid, but the way it comes and goes seems like it. Then again I don't get the surface tenderness you get with gout either. My right foot is permanently disfigured from the very first serious gout attack I had back in the 90's. There ain't much that hurts worse. I feel for ya.
It would have to get bad for me to take it, but I have some colchicine stashed for emergencies. It'll give you the dirty hurries but it works. Beyond that cherry juice. Lots and lots of cherry juice.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Man, I hope you're on the mend soon.

Fido
03-20-2017, 08:27 AM
I also take what Barry does but the gout I get is in my elbows. Have not had to the cherry juice but it does help in extreme cases.

Thumper
03-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Dang! After all the years of listening to youse old farts around here, I've determined I NEVER want to have to deal with torn rotator cuffs, kidney stones OR gout! So far, I've avoided all of 'em.

Hope you get through this ok Q/A. Sounds painful.

LJ3
03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
None of the gout boys have died four times... so there's that :)

I either have gout or arthritis. Not sure which. No eating or drinking pattern really matches up with it but holy fuck it hurts when it's active. Mostly my feet and hands, sometimes a shoulder.

Chicken Dinner
03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
I've got a neighbor who has flare ups and they made him give up beer. Damn, that must be bad...

Thumper
03-20-2017, 10:12 AM
None of the gout boys have died four times... so there's that :)

I either have gout or arthritis. Not sure which. No eating or drinking pattern really matches up with it but holy fuck it hurts when it's active. Mostly my feet and hands, sometimes a shoulder.

Ha ha! I guess you have a point there. (technically, it was seven ... but what's the diff?) ;)

Captain
03-20-2017, 11:46 AM
I've had one small gout attack and tougher through it. But it was enough to know I never want to have a severe case of it like my dad gets. I swear sometimes he cannot walk.

BarryBobPosthole
03-20-2017, 11:51 AM
When my gout attacks first started happening I was in my prime drinking years. My doc mentioned that backing off the beer would help. I did, it made no difference. Some folks just don't eliminate uric acid like others. Sure, there are dietary things that trigger it. Any kind of greens, turnip, collard, spinach, any time I ate asparagus, and those are some of my favorite foods would trigger mine.
i don't eat organ meats but for those who do, I've heard they are high in purines as well.

You can help yourself by knowing your triggers. But I don't think there's a blanket answer that covers everybody. Except pain. Lots of effing pain.

BKB

johnboy
03-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Gout - worst pain I've ever experienced! I was getting attacks pretty frequently until my Dr. changed one of the bp meds I was taking. Seems like it is a contributor to gout attacks. Changed meds and no more gout since then. If you are on bp meds, check the side effects to see if gout is one of them.

quercus alba
03-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Funny thing about gout, Sunday morning I was immobilized thought I was crippled for life. This morning I'm on crutches. This afternoon I'm raking and mowing the yard.

Captain
03-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Glad they got you on the mend. That's a terrible pain.