PDA

View Full Version : Who has a landline?

BarryBobPosthole
03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
We've been thinking about getting rid of ours. But we've had this line since forever and everyone we know well knows that number. Plus,its kind of a safe haven for telemarketing calls. We put our landline number on almost all of our stuff that requires a telephone number and it really does help keep our mobiles tm free.
None of our kids have a landline. They are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Like colorful curmudgeons.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-21-2017, 09:06 AM
I do. But, only because my Mrs. won't let me cancel it. I'm not sure why because she never answers it or checks the messages on it.

Big Muddy
03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
The best I remember, ours rang 3 times in the last 2 months that we had it....and, 2 of those callers were trying to give me a cheap Caribbean cruise....got rid of it, and haven't missed it one bit, and put that $89 per month to good use....purchased a new John Deere zero-turn lawnmower. ;)

HideHunter
03-21-2017, 09:48 AM
We do.. in fact I have rotary dial still hanging on the kitchen wall.. :) We haven't really considered it because We've had the same number for 30 years +, I don't even know where my cell phone is half the time and the wife only turns hers on about 3-4 times a week.

Thumper
03-21-2017, 09:50 AM
I can pretty much say "ditto" for us P-hole. We've had the same land-line for close to 30 years. Any credit apps or whatever I have to add a phone number to, I usually enter the home phone. ANYBODY who knows us, knows our cell numbers.To be honest, I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have DSL for my internet service. I've had it since the day they put fiber optic lines into the neighborhood as it beat the heck out of dial-up! It works fine for anything I do on the computer and I figured, "why fix it if it ain't broken"? TBH, we never even answer the home phone. We probably check voicemail "maybe" a couple times/year. I do have an extension on my desk and if the home phone rings, I'll glance at the caller ID, but 99.999999% of the time it's a "sale's" call or someone wanting donations, etc. I have no clue what-so-ever when we've received a call on the home phone who was someone we actually wanted to talk to. Like you, it's a good filter as we have total control over who we give our cell numbers to ... VA, personal doctor, dentist, etc. It's a cryin' shame that unwanted telemarketer calls have made our home phone totally useless (other than for my DSL hook-up).

Captain
03-21-2017, 09:53 AM
We do. Had the same number since 1977
Never answer it. Do check messages. That's about it.

Bwana
03-21-2017, 11:00 AM
We JUST got rid of ours a short time ago against my better judgement.

I've been holding on to it because I know during certain circumstances, cell phones don't work so I kept it sort of as an insurance policy. My wife finally convinced me that anybody we would need, or want, to reach only have cell phones so what is the use? Have to admit, I'm still not comfortable with it but it probably made the most sense to get rid of it.

LJ3
03-21-2017, 11:12 AM
We have one. No phones are plugged in to it. It's cheaper to keep it than get rid of it since we get the Fios bundle.

All I need is a Russian stick and I'll cancel the whole damn thing!

BarryBobPosthole
03-21-2017, 11:26 AM
We JUST got rid of ours a short time ago against my better judgement.

I've been holding on to it because I know during certain circumstances, cell phones don't work so I kept it sort of as an insurance policy. My wife finally convinced me that anybody we would need, or want, to reach only have cell phones so what is the use? Have to admit, I'm still not comfortable with it but it probably made the most sense to get rid of it.

Your thoughts and mine run along the same lines. I know a bit about how e911 works and while it gets better and better, without a landline calling 911 on a cell, the 911 center may or may not be able to pinpoint your location. Landlines are tied together. The industry has been working hard on it, but to say its universal is not true.

BKB

DeputyDog
03-21-2017, 11:53 AM
We still do. We just use it randomly and just pay about $35 a month for it then an additional $10-15 for long distance access even though we never use it for long distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quercus alba
03-21-2017, 12:12 PM
Due to the piss poor cell reception and the monopoly walnut hill telephone has on the internet service in this county, I don't have a lot of choice but to have one.

johnboy
03-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Still do and will continue with it for the reason Bwana stated - cell phones won't work in an emergency situation power out and land lines will. Long shot that it will ever matter but I'm a 'belt and suspenders' kinda guy.

airbud7
03-21-2017, 07:21 PM
magicJack is the best fix Barry its cheap and keep your home phone number too...

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2017, 07:15 AM
Yep I have heard that of folks with MagicJack that are very happy. One of the reasonswe keep our landline is e911. Magic Jack has a 911 service but does not support e (enhanced) 911 services and is provided by a third party operator who then transfers you to a 911 center. At no time do they systematically know your ANI so they know who amd where you are.

That's not important to some, is very important to others. So its your call I guess (no pun intended!)

BKb

Flatlander
03-28-2017, 12:49 AM
I keep land line for when power goes out. 'Puter lines don't do squat then.

Arty
03-29-2017, 09:01 PM
We have one that I bet has had 10 minutes of talk time on it in the last year
Fios bundle... so it is what it is.
Two things might change that. Well 3
1) I'm getting a Russian tv stick
2) I'm no longer under contract with Verizon
3) we may be moving sometime this summer. At which point I will take the opportunity to research new interweb and cable services. (Probably Cox)