PDA

View Full Version : A new chapter

Hombre
03-21-2017, 12:08 PM
The oldest, Kenzington, is getting really close to ending her high-school milestone, and starting her college milestone. She has worked so hard since her freshmen year in high school. She had a goal, and that was to get accepted into the university of Washington as a direct admit into the Foster School of Business. From making sure she participated in the community, driving for a high GPA, to multiple prep courses for the SAT.

Yesterday she received the pay off. She was accepted as a direct admit to the Foster School of Business. It is ranked 23rd in the state, and fairly uncommon to be direct admitted as a freshmen (I think like 5%).

I am excited for her, and the chapter she will start but mostly I'm extremely proud of the plan she laid out and executed to get here. In a society that often looks for instant gratification her willingness to set long-term goals makes me comfortable that she'll be ok.

LJ3
03-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Very nice! It's a great feeling to see our offspring understand the relationship between effort and reward.

I assume she takes after her Mom? :)

Hombre
03-21-2017, 12:23 PM
She definitely takes after her mom. That was no more apparent than yesterday: She calls and is fuming that her Political Science teacher was going to give her an A- because she had missed 3 classes. Her take was I have a 98 and the days were snow days. My first thought was while I was in college I judged my grades by anything D and above you got the college credit for...

Bwana
03-21-2017, 12:58 PM
That is MOST impressive sir and your shirt buttons must be busting.

Having met you in person, your daughter must take after her mother. ;)

Chicken Dinner
03-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Congrats to her and both you and Mom. I've got a Junior and he's starting his college search now. So, I can appreciate that it's a group effort.

Hombre
03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Bwana, thank you my heads a bit bigger these last few days. And, you sir are a good judge of character...but still bite me :D

CD, You are right its a group decision and I'm really suprised how competitive it has gotten. People hire coaches for suggestions on essay's and even what they should start doing as a freshmen. Things like what extra curricular activities to understake, what community projects...etc. Getting into a good college has become a science, and not simple test scores and GPA.

Captain
03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Man that's as good as it gets! Congrats to you, your wife and daughter.
She is a promise for the future!

Cards01
03-21-2017, 02:55 PM
congrats Boh!!

Hombre
03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Captain Thanks. And, she's figuring that some day she'll get out get a job and make some money (which she'd like to keep) so she's jumping on the republican party now :D

DeputyDog
03-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Awesome! You have every right to be proud of her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HideHunter
03-21-2017, 09:44 PM
xellent!

quercus alba
03-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Things like that don't just happen. That's a result of good raising. Although I don't understand the U Dubya thing. Lots of good southern schools

Thumper
03-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Very impressive! Congrats to all.

Arty
03-22-2017, 07:42 AM
That's awesome! Congrats to all!

BarryBobPosthole
03-22-2017, 07:46 AM
She's a peach!

BkB

Trav
03-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Tell Kenzie I said great work that is awesome.

Big Skyz
03-22-2017, 06:49 PM
This is my favorite kind of post to read. Good for her!

Big Muddy
03-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Hombre, in this day and age, it's refreshing to read positive things about kids with their head in the right place....congrats !!!

Thumper
03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
I'm very impressed that she had a goal to work for so far in advance ... AND stuck with it. Personally, when I finished high school and moved on to college, I had no clue what-so-ever what I wanted to major in. I had a 4.0 average in all my sciences (through physics) and math (through trigonometry/calculus) so it seemed obvious I needed to lean in that direction. Everyone kept telling me I HAD to go into the engineering field. So, I entered the Univ. of Tennessee as a Mechanical Engineering major, BUT ... I absolutely hated every second of it. I can still remember sitting in class having flashbacks of 1967 and taking a date to the movie theater in Jackson, Mississippi to watch "The Graduate". I couldn't help but relate to Dustin Hoffman when he graduated college and was trying to decide on his career choice for graduate school. All I had heard was "Engineering" ... the same way he heard "Plastics".

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eaCHH5D74Fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hombre
03-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks to all. I agree Thump I had zero direction at this point in my life let alone any long-term goals. I agree with a lot that have said its good to see a kid in this day and age that is responsible and showing a strong future. I think there are more of these types of kids out there than we think, this site proves that.

BarryBobPosthole
03-23-2017, 10:58 AM
I don't think I really settled down until my 60's.

The next generation of folks represented by the kids of people I know from this site are as an entire group some pretty dad gum fine people. It does make you appreciate that our future is in better hands than we sometimes think.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-23-2017, 01:03 PM
I have he benefit of doing a direct comparison as my older boy goes to the same high school I did. I'm also around a lot of kids through being a Scout leader and coaching youth sports. For the most part, the kids I see have their crap way more together then we ever did.