PDA

View Full Version : Root Mean Square

BarryBobPosthole
03-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Old tech headswill recognize this term. Basically it means that effective power is only 77% of peak power. An old audiophile term.
I've observed that principle applies to a lot of other things in life too.

Like:
Change your line every year. Sure it will help. Maybe 77 times out of a hundred? Not quite, but you get my point.

Line on a spinning reel has to be spooled on the reel exactly as it comes off the spool it is stored on.
See above. Especially braids, it don't make a damn bit of difference.

RMS. Useful and wise.
BKb

Thumper
03-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Oh, nowadays it would make my brain hurt to even think about the good ol' quadratic mean. I learned it in school and never used it again in my lifetime ... which I can say for 99% of the "advanced math" I learned in school.

'Course you're bringing back boring memories of some statistics classes I had to take. :(

LJ3
03-23-2017, 02:01 PM
We were flappin' our gums about backing line and when your shit loses traction and just spins around on the spool... shot happened to me the FIRST time I went out after that.

What percentage of RMS formula is that? I think it's like 100%?

Wait, what? Is this like Postholes prostrate? Follow the money, it's leads to the prostrates of mean people?

This place is weird.

I'ma spool one of mine with all flouro this season and see how I like it.

quercus alba
03-23-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm probably more familiar with a quadratic mean than i am with fishing line. Or is that Fishing lion? Fishing lying?

I really need to go fishing