PDA

View Full Version : Stealin' Mofos

BarryBobPosthole
03-30-2017, 07:48 AM
This is making national news and I hope the DA does thr right thing. This is exactly what our stand your ground laws were meant to do: allow people to defend themselves in their own homes. Nobody is saying theivery should get the death penalty. And yes, three people killed is shocking. But that even reinforces more to me why the young guy thought he was in danger. And under Oklahoma law, the getaway driver will be charged with the murder of her accomplises.

BKb

Oklahoma 911 caller: Three people broke into my house; I shot two
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/29/us/oklahoma-three-dead-home-burglary/index.html

airbud7
03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
I saw that yesterday/ Y'all don't play around in Oklahoma do ya...:AR

LJ3
03-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Wow.... It's innersting that they published the names of the criminals since they were minors. I always assumed that was some sort of Federal law. Virginia would never do that.

It's sad but part of the risk of deciding to rob someone. I hope the kid that did the shooting is OK.

Thumper
03-30-2017, 09:45 AM
No sympathy from me for those "stealin' mofos". I'm just glad the kid was a good enough shot that he saved the taxpayers a ton of money.

'Course, now, the families will probably sue the homeowner for wrongful death or some such nonsense.

quercus alba
03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
If a guys breaking into my car I'm not going to shoot him, maybe dump a couple in the ground to hurry him along. If he's breaking in my house I'll probably warn him off with a couple or shots thru the top of the door. If he's in my house, call the coroner.

BarryBobPosthole
03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
From the local paper. Maybe if robbers provided character references they wouldn't get shot at.

Well, maybe not.

BKB

Friends in disbelief over deaths of three teens during home-invasion

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/friends-in-disbelief-over-deaths-of-three-teens-during-home/article_d5cab1a8-bbe2-5732-aef9-4ad58408e7a0.html

(Via Tulsa World)

BarryBobPosthole
03-30-2017, 10:51 AM
So here's a LE question. QA's response (which is closest to my own feelings on this) got me to thinking. Say you look out the window and see someone breaking into your vehicle. If you arm yourself and confront them, are you committing a crime? And if they react to your confrontation and you shoot them, is it you defending yourself since you kind of started it?

BKB

Thumper
03-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Shoot the shithead ... drag him in the house and shoot him again.

P-hole to cops ... "I caught him breaking into my truck, he came after me, so I shot him ... he continued chasing me into the house where I shot him again. I was in fear for my life!"

(I know, I know ... but it sounds good) :D

Chicken Dinner
03-30-2017, 12:29 PM
I sincerely hope I'm never in a position to have to find out. But, I'm prepared if I do. I wouldn't willingly shoot somebody over "stuff", but I would certainly err on the side of protecting my family if there's any doubt.

As for your last question, we actually had a rash of car break-ins in my neighborhood over the past year. The area is generally so safe that lots of people (not me!) leave their car doors unlocked. Somebody was coming by at night and trying door handles. They would take anything of value, including change, but never caused any damage like taking a pry bar to a radio. They were confronted once or twice and ran off and the police actually said they'd prefer you called 911 as they had a better chance of catching them that way. And, that's what eventually happened. So, I probably wouldn't confront them unless they were making off with my hunting rifles. Admittedly, I don't live out in the country and response times are pretty good.

DeputyDog
03-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Depends on what state and it's laws. A good point of reference is don't shoot someone over stuff. You won't have a good outcome. You need to be protecting yourself or another person.

Depending on where you live warning shots may not be a good idea either.

(Especially with the cost of ammo) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Dinner
03-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Warning shots in my town will get you a ride down town.

BarryBobPosthole
03-30-2017, 01:33 PM
And just to correct what you're hearing in the media, this isn't a case of Oklahoma's 'stand Your Ground' law. That law, as I best remember it, applies when you're NOT at home. For instance, road rage incidents come to mind when you're attacked by somebody. Oklahoma 'castle doctrine' law is what likely applies here, although that's prolly a technicality. Still, they should know their shit better.

There was a lot of fear here when both were passed. Also open carry. Our gun murder rates really haven't changed as a result. Neither have home invasion or burglary. We kind of follow national trends. We do lead the country in police shootings.

BKb

BarryBobPosthole
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Castle doctrine upheld. The DA in that county keeps referring to the 'stand your ground' law. I think that is incorrect. That is what the 'castle doctrine' is for. I thought stand your ground was when you were assaulted in a public spa e and castle doctrine was protecting yourself in your home.
But what do I know? He'sa lawyer and I aint.

BKB

Sheriff: Shooter won't face charges in home invasion that led to deaths of three teens

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/sheriff-shooter-won-t-face-charges-in-home-invasion-that/article_4cde9574-7156-5dbe-857e-b7e537b59d9f.html

(Via Tulsa World)

Thumper
04-04-2017, 12:28 PM
First of all, the dudes AND the dudette got what was coming to them IMHO.

As for the law, I'm with you. To simplify my understanding, "stand your ground" is OUTSIDE and "castle doctrine" is if you're INSIDE. That may be over-simplifying, but it's a general description.

But an important thing to remember is, if you're returning home from the movies as an example and realize someone is in your house, you CANNOT go in to confront them and shoot them. You must remain outside and summon the police.

I'm not sure about Oklahoma as all states vary a bit, but are generally very similar.

BarryBobPosthole
04-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Oh I have no bones at all with that decision.

We've only had one controversial case involving those laws. We had a pharmicist get robbed by two armed guys, aged 14 and 15. The pharmicist shot both of them, retrieved another gun and then executed the guy that was already on the ground. Shot him five more times. He's now serving a life sentence for murder. The getaway driver was an adult who enlisted the two kids to do his robbery. He's serving life for murder too. In an interesting twist of karma, the getaway driver won a right to a retrial. He was retried, found guilty, and his sentence was raised from life+35 to life w/o parole. Karma. is a bitch.

BKB

LJ3
04-04-2017, 01:00 PM
A certain LEO advised me a long time ago that if I ever found myself in that situation to just say "I thought he was going to kill me. I want to talk to my lawyer."